Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  25
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Size 18, 20 and 22 Dry Flies

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    There is a misconception that you need tiny flies to catch large trout feeding on midges. Would it surprise most of you to learn that Gary Borger’s most often used size for a Griffith’s Gnat is a size 14?

Why?

The truth is that the Griffith’s Gnat was NOT tied to imitate an individual midge. That is a misconception. A better name would have been a “Griffith’s Gnat Midge Cluster.” Larger trout cannot afford to feed on individual midges. The formula for life (energy in - energy out) must be positive. Given the energy used to feed AND digest a midge, this formula for life becomes negative for the size of trout we want to catch.

Larger trout must feed on midge clusters which is group of midges that can be taken on a single rise.

This is what individual midges look like.

This is what a cluster of midges of looks like on the water. The Griffith's Gnat simulates the clustering of mating adult midges with multiple bodies at odd angles and the hackles simulating the legs and wings of the cluster touching the surface as in the images below.

The Griffiths Gnat is designed to imitate a midge cluster above and that is why Gary Borger uses a size 14. Here are some Griffiths Gnats he gave me. I asked him to sign the top and these will NOT be fished.

Do NOT be afraid to fish Griffith’s Gnats of a size that imitate a midge cluster. The advantage is that larger hooks are less likely to bend or break on those fish.

The shame of the belief that the GN represents an individual midge is that even Orvis does not sell a Size 14, which is Gary's most productive size for larger fish.

Some of the photos above are taken from the article below which makes the same point.

Hi Vis Griffith Gnat Midge Cluster Fly Tying Video Instructions and How To

The Griffith Gnat does not imitate one midge specifically. In fact, it imitates a whole bunch of midges, a whole bunch meaning a “cluster”. When midges hatch, they often bunch together in cluster. Fish love this! They can take a mouthful of 20 midges at a time and that is much better than eating them one by one. The Griffith Gnat remains to be the most effective midge pattern out there. Do not be caught without them!
    Thanks for sharing Silver. A great tip. Trying to target fish with a single midge dry during a blanket hatch can be quite frustrating. I've honestly never observed close enough to look for these clusters........ something more to watch for. I'll be tying up some size 14 hi-viz Griffiths Gnats to try out.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

2. Likes omas liked this post

Old school Humpies #22. AND they are fantastically effective especially in red and black/Dk Brown especially to fish that have "seen it all."

4. Likes omas liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    There is a misconception that you need tiny flies to catch large trout feeding on midges. Would it surprise most of you to learn that Gary Borger’s most often used size for a Griffith’s Gnat is a size 14?

Why?

The truth is that the Griffith’s Gnat was NOT tied to imitate an individual midge. That is a misconception. A better name would have been a “Griffith’s Gnat Midge Cluster.” Larger trout cannot afford to feed on individual midges. The formula for life (energy in - energy out) must be positive. Given the energy used to feed AND digest a midge, this formula for life becomes negative for the size of trout we want to catch.

Larger trout must feed on midge clusters which is group of midges that can be taken on a single rise.

This is what individual midges look like.

This is what a cluster of midges of looks like on the water. The Griffith's Gnat simulates the clustering of mating adult midges with multiple bodies at odd angles and the hackles simulating the legs and wings of the cluster touching the surface as in the images below.

The Griffiths Gnat is designed to imitate a midge cluster above and that is why Gary Borger uses a size 14. Here are some Griffiths Gnats he gave me. I asked him to sign the top and these will NOT be fished.

Do NOT be afraid to fish Griffith’s Gnats of a size that imitate a midge cluster. The advantage is that larger hooks are less likely to bend or break on those fish.

The shame of the belief that the GN represents an individual midge is that even Orvis does not sell a Size 14, which is Gary's most productive size for larger fish.

Some of the photos above are taken from the article below which makes the same point.

Hi Vis Griffith Gnat Midge Cluster Fly Tying Video Instructions and How To

The Griffith Gnat does not imitate one midge specifically. In fact, it imitates a whole bunch of midges, a whole bunch meaning a “cluster”. When midges hatch, they often bunch together in cluster. Fish love this! They can take a mouthful of 20 midges at a time and that is much better than eating them one by one. The Griffith Gnat remains to be the most effective midge pattern out there. Do not be caught without them!
    That would not fly at all where I fish. This is bad advice
    You just don't see hatches like that. Not once for me ever in 50 years
    Trout don't necessarily see Griffith's Gnats as a midge cluster, and even if they do, large ones are rare.
    Peacock herl in itself is very attractive to trout. and small is nearly always better.
    Don't assume that Griffirh's Gnats are a hatch matching fly
    I tie my Griffith's Gnats small and the fish love them like that
    Last edited by Rip Tide; 03-12-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

6. Likes brownbass liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by midge1 View Post
    I went to the neighborhood library and checked out Ed Engles book, Tying Small Flies, I think everything in there is a size 18 and smaller. Lots of great patterns to work on for me.
    https://www.dryflyinnovations.com/im...-a-dry-fly.jpg
    This is the whole schmeer. Midgeapalooza.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

8. Likes Idahoflyfishmn liked this post

The Found Link by Kelly Galloup is a good option.

Blog Entries

If you are looking to ty for the art of tying, the possibilities are endless. The sizes I ty depends on the insects in the water and behaviors of the fish .

#18-#22 are staple sizes for dries here.

For me, the larger the fly the less opportunity to fish it as they become hatch specific; stonefly(sqwala, giant, golden), drake, etc. Or become seasonal; terrestrial. The BWO and PMD(PED) are best represented in the #18-#22 range. Caddis is probably the the fly I tie across the widest spectrum of hook size, that's if you seperate a midge "cluster" from a midge which I do.

As for solo midges there is a time and place. I can't count the number of +20" rising bows that have succumbed to my #28 solo after nosing Griffiths. So don't think a fish won't rise for this "wafer-thin" after dinner morsel; it can be explosive!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

11. Likes omas, Idahoflyfishmn liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123