Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  107
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Ladies With Fly Rods

Sorry post got duplicated.

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    Hey Cindy, they are not in pink but Orvis has women's silver sonic waders on sale ($100 off)

https://www.orvis.com/p/womens-silve...op-waders/6x0p
    Orvis has been awesome for both waders and boots that actually fit. I also have a pair of Simms that I have had for at least 15 years. I know that there are some out there, but there aren't many that are entry priced for someone that is starting out.

Frankly I usually only wear waders in the early spring or late fall and winter. Most of the time I wet wade in nylon hiking pants with neoprene socks underneath that come up above my calves and keep my feet warm. I mostly fish small streams though.

I don't see fishing, hiking, camping, or hunting as a sport for just men or women any different than any other activity. They are just another way to relax and have fun.
    Cindy

3. Likes dennyk, hairwing530, tcorfey, el jefe, karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

With all the time I spend on the water, lakes, creeks and rivers I have yet to run into a lady fly fisher, along with the time I spend at the fly shop I frequent-zero. Wish I could say I met my wife 32 years ago on the river-but can't

Denny

5. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

I guess I should say something about the "women only" trips etc. No, being exclusive isn't right whichever side it is on, but there is a reason for these. I think that most of these trips are for beginners.

Some women who would like to try fishing are intimidated by men. They get embarrassed to try or to ask questions when men are around. Mostly it is in their own mind. So they are more comfortable when they feel like they are on a more equal footing with just other women.

As unfortunate as that is, it is somewhat true for men too. Women guides have problems with men who are uncomfortable being taught by a woman. A huge number of men when given the choice of guides will choose Jack over Stephanie. Even when they are told that Stephanie is the more knowledgeable and better guide. So why is that?

We will never get rid of all of the subconscious quirks, prejudices, and prejudgements that most of us make. So we all learn to live with them and make allowances for them.

One suggestion that I will make is that you don't try to teach your wives to fish. If she really wants to fish. Ask around and find a good class for her or hire the best teaching guide that you can find. It isn't that you can't teach her, it is just better to let her get some practice and input from others first. Then you can enjoy it together as you add to her experience. I've seen both good and bad couple experiences.

And no my husband didn't teach me. I was born fishing. He's a great guy and we fish together often. I get as much of a kick out of him catching a good fish as he does when I do. It is a wonderful couple activity.
    Cindy

7. Likes dennyk, jofer, hairwing530, karstopo liked this post

It’s an interesting thread and one that seems to cross the liberal / personal rights divide. I could argue a case for either case as being the liberal attitude.

But I don’t get why more choice is such an issue...
    If we were talking about same sex groups have total access control to an area/ river / catchment or being the only provision offered, then i’d understand; but we’re not, we are talking about a very small % of the total services offered being offered on a same sex basis.
    If a number of casting clinics and ‘trips’ are limited to female only and help open up what is still a male dominated activity / industry to more women then fantastic.

Now I am sure a small number will argue it isn’t male dominated and that the opportunities are equal... and those few will be predominantly male

Anyhow.... interesting thread for a forum, makes a change from “bling this rod”.....

9. Likes cpiercem, hairwing530, dennyk liked this post

download.jpg

Some of my best clients were women. Easy to teach, quick to learn. And always a pleasant smile.
    "On the water...the perfect cast...a beautiful fish...fooled at last!"
    O J Chartrand Jr

11. Likes cpiercem, hairwing530, dennyk, Bigfly, cooutlaw liked this post

It's all fun and games until the break up, where you have to sit there and sort whose flies are whose.

:-D

Cindy,

With all due respect- I think a lot of men and women on this board misunderstood my post- What i don't like is somebody to say "women only" or even "men only" That's the biggest aspect of my POST- thank you-CB
    Last edited by cb3fish; 03-11-2019 at 07:05 PM.

14. Thanks cpiercem thanked for this post
    Likes hairwing530, trout stalker, dennyk liked this post

So given the choice of a trip with a crusty old, bearded, bourbon drinking, crumedgeon (spelling?) or a pleasant, smiling, well mannered, easy going lass, my wife opts to fish with the former, aka me. I knew better than to try and teach her to flycast and sought out the help of a lady instructor. One of my smarter moves in life, all of which I could count on one hand. Even if I were 3 fingers short! She is truly a joy to fish with, except when she out fishes me. Now if I could just get her to row too.
    There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
    Everyone knows what they mean.
    What's more important is time that is known as the little dash in between.

Razz

16. Likes hairwing530, dennyk, cpiercem liked this post

Theodore Gordon & Lady.jpg

Her identity is unknown but the fellow she is angling with is the one and only Theodore Gordon. I presume this was on his stretch of the Neversink in the Catskills (which is now beneath the Neversink Reservoir).

My wife has her old pair of multi-patched Simms women's waders for back-up to her newer Patagonia women's waders, both in tan but she has a color patterned nylon wading belt. She joined the women only Dame Juliana Berners Fly Fishers but quickly tired of it and returned to fishing with mixed company.

Setting on a comfortable bank of Silver Creek, one of the most technically complex trout streams in the World, she patiently watched her husband present to a fine brown in an impossible lie. On a bank in slower water beyond quicker and twisted weed bed induced current with a surface protrusion, I just could not feed this fish and gave up and sat down beside her. "That is some fish, she said, can I try it?" "Of course, Honey, but beware of that snag". Half a dozen casts latter she was following the big brown downstream to net him. "Thanks for warming him up for me", she said.

An "Eastern" brown on the East Branch, not that far away from Gordon's Neversink
    E(D)07 013s.JPG

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast