Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  104
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Ladies With Fly Rods

Feature stories all weekend on local News declaring -- Women Responsible for Fly Fishing Boom in Michigan

Fly fishing becoming popular with women

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

2. Likes dennyk, hairwing530 liked this post

A total non issue for me. I don't care if you are female, male, Bi, Transgendered, gay, straight, Martian, who cares. Just stay away from where I like to fish and all is good. I don't want to grow the sport. It's big enough already. Too many people pressuring what is a finite resource.

As far as a women only fishing trip, does that mean I can't fish the water they are fishing? Highly unlikely. So once again a non issue. There's enough wealthy fishing clubs with closed access to parts of rivers as it is. Now that's discriminatory. More so than a group of women saying no to men on a trip.

You want to rail against something let it be that. The privitization of waters by a bunch of rich good old boys. Not a group outing by women.

4. Likes boisker, hairwing530, bdavis32 liked this post

Took my daughter out to the little bass/bluegill pond the other day. I let her work on her casting a little bit, then I made a few casts for her and let her stip in the streamer we were using...
    "Now keep that rod tip right at the surface of the water. Hold your line like this, and strip it in like this....Good. No when you feel a bite, don't yank the rod up. Instead just give a fairly aggressive pull with your line hand - like you were making a big fast strip of that streamer."
    ...and no sooner had I said that - I'm talking like 1 second - she got a big hit...and yanked the rod up and missed the fish! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! We were both just laughing so hard because of the timing and the utter fail of it all. Oh my gosh I've never had so much fun failing so hard!

I wish my wife were into fishing (once in awhile), but what she is into, is not caring when I go, or for how long. Just make sure the lawn is mowed and garbage out. God I love that woman.
    On a serious note I do get people getting up in arms over an "only" this or that. I'm just not one of them. While they're arguing, I'll be fishing with whomever wants to go.
    Last edited by Mcbeck; 03-18-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    " I have learned that to be with those I like is enough" Whitman

7. Likes hairwing530, dennyk liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by cb3fish View Post
    Dennyk,

I actually don't have any problems with my wife or any other woman in the fly fishing sport, Now after that being said what pisses me off is when they advertise "women only" fishing trips or events. Now what would happen if we posted something like "men only" fishing trips or casting lessons? I shudder to think. CB
    This would be a legitimate criticism if women in traditionally male spaces weren't routinely treated as trespassers, curiosities or targets of (generally unwanted) "romantic" intrigue. As it stands, women do routinely face this kind of bs (and I've seen it on many occasions in the world of fly fishing), so it just suggests to me that you don't actually understand what constitutes a "double standard."

Dylar,

What ever you say is OK with me. I said what I had to say. LOL CB

10. Likes littledavid123 liked this post

History of the Maine Guide: Cornilia Fly Rod Crosby

On March 19, 1897, The Maine legislature passed a bill requiring hunting guides to register with the state. Maine registered 1316 guides in that Ist year. The honor of receiving the first Maine guiding license went to Cornilia Thurza Crosby, or “Fly Rod”, as she was affectionately known to friends across the country.
    I would rather fish any day than go to heaven ~~~Cornilia Thurza "Flyrod" Crosby
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

12. Likes hairwing530, dennyk, Mcbeck liked this post
    Blog Entries

_20180419_093641 by James Landis, on Flickr

Enjoy hearing folks talk about women fly fishing. I have taught many over the years....and it pleases me to wind them up and turn them loose. Guys have to work through "guy stuff", or otherwise known as "Fish Hero Syndrome".
    Women show up and listen....no BS.
    I posted this photo a few times over the years......It was her second season fishing, first on big spring water, on her birthday, on a midge she tied, and on her first drift of the day..........after asking her man if he wanted to go first......
    Women should get after fishing because they out-fish most guys. Might help more guys adjust to the modern world......

Jim

14. Likes flytie09, dennyk, Mcbeck liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dylar View Post
    This would be a legitimate criticism if women in traditionally male spaces weren't routinely treated as trespassers, curiosities or targets of (generally unwanted) "romantic" intrigue. As it stands, women do routinely face this kind of bs (and I've seen it on many occasions in the world of fly fishing), so it just suggests to me that you don't actually understand what constitutes a "double standard."
    If I went into a knitting club, I would absolutely expect to be an object of curiosity. And if I really wanted to knit, then I'd deal with it, pay my dues, learn the craft, and gain a little respect within the knitting community. Wow, what a concept!
    Last edited by flafly14; 03-17-2019 at 07:23 PM.

16. Likes dennyk liked this post

Fly fishing for hundreds of years was a white male dominated sport...practiced by people of the means to do so. To this day...it is very much a "Western World" hobby by a very small portion of the world population. Fortunately it is no longer viewed as an exclusive sport. Anyone can purchase a basic setup, waders and a box of flies cheaper than I did 30+ years ago, google Earth any river, read forums, hatch charts, river flows, books for darn near any stream, state or country you can imagine. The learning curve is far less steep for all of us.

I started at a very young age fishing (age 6)....and gravitated to fly fishing ever since I was 13. Since the first day I picked up a fly rod.....there was no turning back. I haven't trout fished by any other means for over 20 years and steelhead/salmon for 7 years. There just was an instant connection I haven't lost to this day.

I grew up with very modest means, but there were tons of trout to chase. I had some uncles that did it that I looked up to......but for the most part I was self taught. The internet didn't exist......and all I had was a few books to read and I did so until the bindings wore out.

There are more women, races, religions, creeds getting into the sport...and good for them. I embrace them as we all should. We need all the advocates that we can get for this sport.

I am not a women obviously...so I won't proclaim to know how they feel now or when they tried to enter the sport. I can't even tell how my wife feels half of the time. So I'm not a good judge let's say. I have however, heard some very compelling interviews of influential women fly fishers that makes one cringe. They felt ignored, put off, excluded, discredited, and objectified starting out..... minus the objectification...I can relate to these same experiences myself. Even to this day. But this happens for everyone in many avenues of life.

I will say this....my wife doesn't get it. Ok. My daughter at 3 yrs old....is curious about everything. She wants to wiggle the rods and wrap feathers around a hook. So I encourage and try to spark her interest in everything. We go visit the stream, throw rocks, look at bugs and birds and watch the water together. If fly fishing is a sport she thinks she might enjoy...I will help teach her everything I know as I think it brings one closer to nature, the outdoors, and gives one a realization to the power of the physical forces of nature that are simply beyond comprehension.

Thanks for sharing the story....I too had no clue that there were so many female anglers fishing and guiding in my area. I see them more and more. Kudos and good luck to them.....and I assure you that men are not out to get you all off the stream. Get out there, learn, enjoy nature, respect the creatures you encounter, improve your skills to the best of your abilities and give back to the sport. That's all I can ask of any of us.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

18. Likes dennyk, Mcbeck liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast