Ladies With Fly Rods

kevind62

Reaction score
I'm not worried about her becoming interested in fly fishing and finding out how much I spend. I'm more worried about her getting in to it and my having to spend 3 times as much as I spend now. She requires way more maintenance than me and is more into style and pizzaz. No more bargain basement stuff. And it would cut drastically in to my fishing time. She takes up to 3 hours just to get ready to go to Walmart. I can't imagine how long it would take her to get ready to go on the river and look good enough for pictures. Then there's the fish. The poor fish. Catch & Release would take on a whole new meaning. By the time I take 4 or 5 shots, let her come look at them and critique, then go take 4 or 5 more, check, 4 or 5 more, check, 4 or 5 more (you know, until that dang piece of hair will stay put or that cloud goes by so the lighting is perfect, etc, etc, etc.) the fish will definitely be sun dried and stiff by then. O **** would probably turn its nose up to it. :D

dennyk

Reaction score
I'm not worried about her becoming interested in fly fishing and finding out how much I spend. I'm more worried about her getting in to it and my having to spend 3 times as much as I spend now. She requires way more maintenance than me and is more into style and pizzaz. No more bargain basement stuff. And it would cut drastically in to my fishing time. She takes up to 3 hours just to get ready to go to Walmart. I can't imagine how long it would take her to get ready to go on the river and look good enough for pictures. Then there's the fish. The poor fish. Catch & Release would take on a whole new meaning. By the time I take 4 or 5 shots, let her come look at them and critique, then go take 4 or 5 more, check, 4 or 5 more, check, 4 or 5 more (you know, until that dang piece of hair will stay put or that cloud goes by so the lighting is perfect, etc, etc, etc.) the fish will definitely be sun dried and stiff by then. O **** would probably turn its nose up to it. :D
Agreed Kevin, if my wife were to go fly fishing, preparation and dressing, makeup etc.. We'd have to start a day ahead of time! :confused:

Denny

Rip Tide

Reaction score
One of the ladies in the article, Jen Ripple of Dun Magazine, did a presentation on this very subject, women in the fly fishing world, at our club a year ago.
It was very well received.
I don't think that I'd be doing her a disservice by saying she is not at all a "girly-girl"

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dennyk,

I actually don't have any problems with my wife or any other woman in the fly fishing sport, Now after that being said what pisses me off is when they advertise "women only" fishing trips or events. Now what would happen if we posted something like "men only" fishing trips or casting lessons? I shudder to think. CB

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Able Women.

The wife and I share enough time and interests. Our time apart with our own hobbies is beneficial. She has horses and I have my bow, bench, rods, and reels. She is always welcome to join.

As for money take it from me. Horses cost w-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ay more money than my hunting and fishing combined. Had to prove that to her years ago. The look on her face was priceless..."Here's the receipts to that month in New Zealand trip." Lol. I don't complain so she doesn't complain.

CFF

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

boisker

Reaction score
Dennyk,

I actually don't have any problems with my wife or any other woman in the fly fishing sport, Now after that being said what pisses me off is when they advertise "women only" fishing trips or events. Now what would happen if we posted something like "men only" fishing trips or casting lessons? I shudder to think. CB
Why on earth would that **** you off? 90% of all fishing trips are in reality already men only:p
I can understand why some women would feel far more comfortable on a women only trip... why get stuck with 5 blokes, with their torridly dull tales of fishing one-upmanship, who need to pay more attention to hygiene and when there’s bound to be one ‘alpha male’ who’s slightly patronising....
Similarly, I have no wish to gate crash a women only party... I already know I am wrong, I get told regularly... I like to fish in ignorance of my faults:D:D

scott2613

Reaction score
I found it interesting that these six women were all from the eastern states, not the kind of places that I would typically think of as "fly fishing trout water states". Perhaps that's an indicator of my lack of knowledge.

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sir,

I actually don't have a problem with women fly fisher persons- What I have a problem with is the double standard if men posted some event excluding women it would be like world war 3, however woman can post anything they want and it's OK--------NO I don't want to fish with a bunch of women, just don't lik the double standard plain and simple : CB

yikes

Reaction score
At our local flyfishing club, the recent leadership has been predominantly female. Their leadership has been competent and effective, and as a result the club has grown in members, vitality and influence. One common trait among many of the female leaders: their fathers taught them to flyfish.

DonW

Reaction score
Sir,

I actually don't have a problem with women fly fisher persons- What I have a problem with is the double standard if men posted some event excluding women it would be like world war 3, however woman can post anything they want and it's OK--------NO I don't want to fish with a bunch of women, just don't lik the double standard plain and simple : CB
I agree with you 100% as I always have the same thought when I see women only programs whatever they might be.
But I once worked as an outdoor programmer for a large park system and fully understand why there are women only events for activities that are perceived as a man thing, there are some real jerks walking around calling themselves a man.

jaydub

Reaction score
I found it interesting that these six women were all from the eastern states, not the kind of places that I would typically think of as "fly fishing trout water states". Perhaps that's an indicator of my lack of knowledge.
That's because the publication is about the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic areas. Notice that after the six, "Beyond the Blue Ridge", are a couple of westerners.

boisker

Reaction score
Sir,

You’d get “woman” posting with very similar responses to the one you did... there are small numbers with outdated views in both sexes...
You just hear them more, as most people wouldn’t even think it a problem to comment on...
If 99.9% of guiding/instruction ‘events’ are open to both sexes..
And 0.1 % is restricted to women or men only....
seems fine to me
And funnily enough I’d bet 99.9% of both sexes would be fine with that....

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I told you it didn't bother me- I just don't like the double standard. I live in LIBERAL California and if i posted something like "men only fly fishing trip" they would try to hang anybody that did that, That's all, plain and simple

CB

flafly14

Reaction score
I'm with you cb3fish.

I have no problems with women that flyfish..or hunt... or whatever. But I do have big problems with any sort of movement to "get more women in our sport". Let this pastime just be fun rather than some sort of social justice arena. ...and that's all I'll have to say about that.

cpiercem

Reaction score
I have a problem with more women fly fishing. There are already too many people on the streams! :D

Women usually keep their fly fishing habit quiet as they don't want to embarrass the men who think they are the only ones out there. Just kidding everyone. I don't care who all fishes. I will share with anyone. Besides I wear enough sunblocking buffs and other junk, no one could tell what sex the person is under all that junk.

My real peeve is that all of the equipment is designed for men. No women sized waders ever hit the sales racks! If they exist at all. And heaven forbid not in pink!:D

el jefe

Reaction score
I have a problem with more women fly fishing. There are already too many people on the streams! :D

Women usually keep their fly fishing habit quiet as they don't want to embarrass the men who think they are the only ones out there. Just kidding everyone. I don't care who all fishes. I will share with anyone. Besides I wear enough sunblocking buffs and other junk, no one could tell what sex the person is under all that junk.

My real peeve is that all of the equipment is designed for men. No women sized waders ever hit the sales racks! If they exist at all. And heaven forbid not in pink!:D
My daughter is looking at purchasing her own woman-specific waders from Patagonia (they do exist, apparently). If she does that, it will show a commitment to fly fishing that has nothing to do with her being a woman being encouraged into the sport, but has everything to do with a parent wanting to share some special time with his kids, and they got hooked (pun intended). The gender of the child is irrelevant. Heck, my daughters are also hockey players, for what that's worth. They tried something, they liked it, so they did it. It wasn't for boys or for girls, it was for fun.

tcorfey

Reaction score

Hey Cindy, they are not in pink but Orvis has women's silver sonic waders on sale ($100 off)

https://www.orvis.com/p/womens-silver-sonic-convertible-top-waders/6x0p