Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shank/Articulated streamer storage

Does anyone have a creative storage solution for these type of streamers (Intruder type & other shank creations). The Plan D box looks great but I would like to hear other solutions before I drop 50 bucks for a box.

Default Re: Shank/Articulated streamer storage

I have a Cliff Bugger Beast and Bugger Beast Jr. for streamers; for articulated streamers with only a trailing hook I use wishbones by Tacky to hold the front of the flies in their slots. I tried a pushpin through the eye of the hook with limited success.

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I didn't know about the Tacky , another nice solution but also in the 50 buck game. I'm wondering if there is a way to rig up one of the soft morrell boxes , they are pretty cheap

A fly wallet would work. I have a couple Tacky Predators, but they are absurdly heavy. Could serve double duty as a priest.
    My fish pics on Instagram - @willyfranzen

6. Likes eastfly66, mcnerney, pheldozer liked this post

For large streamers I actually prefer a streamer wallet. Especially my ones with multiple hooks. I was gifted an Orvis Finn streamer wallet and use it for my bigger Warmwater Stuff.

It's basically leather with a wool lining and a buckle to keep it closed. You hook or just set the flies on the wool patch and then fold it up.

For larger stuff like poppers I have a few Plano boxes. I'll consolidate on the day of if not fishing from a boat and stick 1-2 in my pack.
    Q: How many turns on a whip finish? A: "Enough to cover your mistakes" - AK Best

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

I carry but a handful of streams in a wallet. I never have found the need for a huge selection on the river, just a small productive selection.lol

When I'm chasing true carnivores, I just use a Plano divided box with air holes I drilled. I made the mistake of forgetting to open the lid and let them dry once; mildew and rust. Stores easy on the p'toons as well.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

10. Likes Ard, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hi Paul,

Over time I've changed the way I do a lot of things and the way I carry flies as well as the type of flies has changed drastically. For my tube flies and the 'very few' shank ties I use I carry them in small divided plastic boxes. There are some similar to Plano that are made quite small and those are my favorites. They measure 6" in length by 3" in width and are only about an inch deep. There are six compartments in them and I can jam at least 40 flies in there separated by color and weight. Due to the size these things fit into the chest pocket of my fishing jacket leaving plenty of room to spare. With that box - a pack of hooks and a spool of line for tippet I'm done and not stuffed with gear.

This does not look cool if I pull it out in front of someone but once I start removing contents there are always comments. Because of the type flies I have transitioned to I can fit things that when wet may be 4" in length but can also be stuffed into the compartments with ease. Tubes are beautiful because there are no hooks on them, because of that there is no tangling and you don't face the scenario where you try to remove one and end up with a nest of them all tangled by hooks...

The beauty is that these boxes cost around 1.99 to 2.99 depending on where you find them sold.

Yeah I know, stuffing flies you worked half an hour on into a gob of others may smash the materials. Soon as you toss them into the water and they come under tension they are as they should be. Recently I listed 2 of my streamer wallets for sale, I'd been using them since 1980 or 79, not sure when I got them and they were old then. I put them here and on the Spey Pages, they disappeared quick on SP. As wallets go they were the best I ever had. Like I said though, I've changed and now I want small and easy, did I mention that the ones I use are next to weightless? I find them at Sportsman's Warehouse

Here's a picture...

12782.JPG

12783.JPG

12784.JPG

It ain't sexy but it works great. A guy I fish with in OR carries his In a zip lock sandwich bag so I'm still uptown on him

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

12. Likes eastfly66, flytie09, ts47 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Hi Paul,

Over time I've changed the way I do a lot of things and the way I carry flies as well as the type of flies has changed drastically. For my tube flies and the 'very few' shank ties I use I carry them in small divided plastic boxes. There are some similar to Plano that are made quite small and those are my favorites. They measure 6" in length by 3" in width and are only about an inch deep. There are six compartments in them and I can jam at least 40 flies in there separated by color and weight. Due to the size these things fit into the chest pocket of my fishing jacket leaving plenty of room to spare. With that box - a pack of hooks and a spool of line for tippet I'm done and not stuffed with gear.

This does not look cool if I pull it out in front of someone but once I start removing contents there are always comments. Because of the type flies I have transitioned to I can fit things that when wet may be 4" in length but can also be stuffed into the compartments with ease. Tubes are beautiful because there are no hooks on them, because of that there is no tangling and you don't face the scenario where you try to remove one and end up with a nest of them all tangled by hooks...

The beauty is that these boxes cost around 1.99 to 2.99 depending on where you find them sold.

Yeah I know, stuffing flies you worked half an hour on into a gob of others may smash the materials. Soon as you toss them into the water and they come under tension they are as they should be. Recently I listed 2 of my streamer wallets for sale, I'd been using them since 1980 or 79, not sure when I got them and they were old then. I put them here and on the Spey Pages, they disappeared quick on SP. As wallets go they were the best I ever had. Like I said though, I've changed and now I want small and easy, did I mention that the ones I use are next to weightless? I find them at Sportsman's Warehouse

Here's a picture...

12782.JPG

12783.JPG

12784.JPG

It ain't sexy but it works great. A guy I fish with in OR carries his In a zip lock sandwich bag so I'm still uptown on him
    Hey Ard,

I do remember we talked about the benefits of the tubes as a convienence and you can always have a sharp hook too. I was all jazzed up on them and got a ProFisher starter kit from Milinda but when I got around to giving them a go , I ccouldn't find any good utube or instruction so I have kinda put that on the back burner. It should probably be and I was thinking of posting another topic on the subject but since were here This is good timing too because I am shooting for a trip up to the SR maybe as early as next week and I was going to trade the kit back in to the shop. I was even looking for those small plastic boxes today at the hardware store.

Blog Entries

Maybe I should do a video of tying a Dee Monkey Fly. They are simple, my style isn't fancy, I don't do 'composite loop dubbing' I tie like I fish, trying to make it easy as possible.

There is a box of Pro Tube components sitting on the table right now, think on the order of $495.00 worth of components...

I have a couple guys who are learning to tie them and fish 2 hand with me this year so I ordered enough to set each fella up with his own kit. These kits have only what they will need to tie things that I already know will work. The Pro Kits have too much stuff you don't need and not enough of what you do.

It's a shame there aren't any shops that have tube classes where you live. Mossys in Anchorage does it but that's quite a drive I do it but like I said I'm pretty crude compared to pro tiers.

If I do a video it will not be a 5 minute thing. I'm told that my video about how to fish streamers is too long... I don't get that. How the heck can I try to explain something that took me 25 years to figure out in 7 minutes or less? I have thought of doing some simple tube videos but there are so many already. It's actually a lot of putzing around for me to make a decent show then edit and upload. I may try....

But the boxes are a good thing

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I have an idea for you if you're on a budget. Get some clear plastic tubes , cut to length and some caps. I haven't done this myself yet......but I had some of the fish-pimp indicator tubes I used to trial this concept. Throw 5 or 6 in your wader pouch and you're good to go. Helps to keep them from getting all mangled or twisted together.

flytube2.jpg

Or you can buy these pre-made ready to go...but at $2.99 each....I'll make my own.

FlyTubes , Steelhead Flies

I've also seen guys use jumbo drinking straws and screw top test tubes. But test tubes can get pricey.......

Cheers

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

16. Likes eastfly66, Ard, dennyk liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast