Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Default 10 3 wt : ESN or Recon?

Ive been considering these rods for weeks now and need some advice from folks who have actually fished them. Sensitivity? Accuracy? Ill mostly tightline but now and then throw bobbers and dries no bigger than #16. I don't throw streamers . Not looking for an all purpose rod . Just something that will do a little more reasonably well. Ive considered the Contact but my limit is 10. Also prefer a down locker as well so the two models above are in the mix. Very informative info here on this site. Thanks for all the input in advance!

Default Re: 10 3 wt : ESN or Recon?

People talk about throwing dries with these rods- I wouldn't want to with my ESN. Sensitivity wise, I don't think you're gonna beat it.

That's the rub against the Recon- but the Recon gets good marks for versatility. Pick your poison... pure euro with the ESN, vs more of a cross over with the Recon.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Likes clouserguyky liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    People talk about throwing dries with these rods- I wouldn't want to with my ESN. Sensitivity wise, I don't think you're gonna beat it.

That's the rub against the Recon- but the Recon gets good marks for versatility. Pick your poison... pure euro with the ESN, vs more of a cross over with the Recon.

I am going to have to disagree with this. The 10' 3wt Recon is a purpose-built euro rod. It throws dries with a standard fly line ok, but nothing get excited about. It is a fantastic euro rod though. For euro nymphing, I think you would be happy with either.

If you are going to throw indicators, stick with the yarn type, a thingamabobber will be way too heavy for the Recon.

I can't speak for the ESN, but I do have a 10' 3wt Recon, as well as the 10' 4wt and 10' 4wt H3.

5. Likes clouserguyky, yikes liked this post

Thanks folks for the input!! Yes, thats what i sensed due to reviews. Recon more versitile but less sensitive clunkin along the bottom.

10' 4wt H3F is supposed to be quite versatile. Has a nice feel to it- but for true Czech style, nothing is gonna work like a dedicated euro rod will.