Flash

Do You think bright colors & shiny rods, reels, equipment make a difference ?

• Total voters

FISHN50

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend who does a lot of underwater photography & the subject of flash came up. With the trend toward shiny, pretty reels, light color lines, vests etc. it seems that stealth has gone by the wayside. I was wondering how everyone feels about shiny & light colors on the stream. Did ou ever notice the difference???

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi FISHN50,

I don't know how to answer. The important ingredient is where you are fishing and what you are fishing for. In water that is fished a lot any strange color or shape may alarm the fish. Some fish don't seem to mind any noise or flash or bright line or dark line. They just want to eat. Others even a shadow of the rod or line will set them off. In general I try to wear neutral colors. But if a fish is forty feet away and you are out of its cone of vision what you wear doesn't make much difference. If you are fishing a tiny brook that is less than ten feet wide, anything you wear or do can affect the fish.

Frank

OldMan

Reaction score
I agree with Frank. On smaller streams I try to not show the fish anything. Especially, something that might flash.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Read the book The Trout and the Fly by Brian Clarke and John Goddard
Extensive research on this and other aspects of trout behavior

Yes.... It matters a great deal

Joni

Reaction score
I think it matters, but on streams and rivers more than stillwater.
It is a good Idea to approach rivers and streams with a low profile. I still wear bright colors often with YELLOW being one of my favorites, but I have been known to crawl to the rivers edge.

glassroddr

Reaction score
Being primarily a small stream fisherman, I wear out the knees on pants and waders quickly. I like trying to blend in, so I guess to me it does make a difference. At the same time it makes it easier to observe wildlife when you make if harder for animals to spot your movements.

FISHN50

Reaction score
The reason I brought the question up is that his videos show a reaction from the fish when a fisherman with a bright reel flashing was 20' away. Bright clothes showed up & were more visible to the fish than I ever thought. Bright lines are very visible from under water & leaders sometimes sparkled in the sun..This was both on heavily fished & not so heavily fished streams. Some times it spooked the fish & sometimes it didn't. Also I was surprised to learn how long it took a spooked fish to return to it's feeding lie. What's everyone s experience with spooked fish & how long does it usually take for them to come back in the waters you fish. I've seen them scoot off never to be seen again & sometimes they feed off your boots.

OldMan

Reaction score
I'm always moving upstream. If I screwed up and spooked a fish. I don't wait for it to come back.

Joni

Reaction score
Very good post! I think it also has to do with as you said, heavy fished. Like the stillwaters, some have heavy pressure like skiers, boaters, etc and the fish are use to that. Same with some rivers.
Gin clear, is one I think you want to blend in all the way. But deep fast running pools I would think, are not evident.
I however seldom see the glint or flash off reels, although I am sure it happens. Leaders, well I can see that also, thank gawd for thread leaders LOL.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 1420I stick with olive drab, camo, and khaki for my wardrobe.

I use only grey lines and (now) floro leaders.

I sneak and peek prior to wading and sometimes use my Zeiss 10 X 25 mini B's to assist in locating fish prior to the approach.

I catch allot of fish, no brag just fact. I absolutely believe that my catch numbers are directly related to my hunter mentality when I fish.
View attachment 1417
Yes these are different fish.

View attachment 1418
I believe that keeping a low profile while landing or netting a fish especially one that you intend to release leads to alot less stress and excitement for the fish and fewer fish that get away at the last moment. The whole idea is don't let them see you.

View attachment 1419

Attachments

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardyreels: I couldn't agree more.

I went to the Denver Fly Fishing show this weekend and noticed that Ross now has a camo reel.....looked great but didn't ask what the price was.

Larry

OldMan

Reaction score
If a fish can tell the difference between a black reel and a camo reel, and not notice your white hand? They're dumber than I think they are.

Joni

Reaction score
If a fish can tell the difference between a black reel and a camo reel, and not notice your white hand? They're dumber than I think they are.
GLOVES! LOL Larry, Is the camo a shiny finish? Just asking cause that would be what flashes.

FISHN50

Reaction score
I think that almost all of a fish's predators come from above ( excepting water snakes, larger fish etc.) & they get attuned to their environment. Any thing out of the ordinary, (Flash, or movement from above) will put them on edge.
Granted their brain is the size of a pea but they are survivors of evolution & Their eyes are on the top of the head so they're looking up. Like I said earlier I've seen Trout & salmon scoot away or feed off my boots but I've also seen them stay in the same area & act nervous & stop feeding. I have a shiny reel & after seeing the video I'm going to dull it up. I was also thinking of dyeing my vest a dark green or brown. This might be a little extreme but it couldn't hurt. I've fished some of Penn's limestone streams & there you definitely have to sneak up to the bank. & plan where you cast. I've seen fisherman kneeling on the bank casting from almost a prone position & they were the locals & they caught fish. I usually use a little stealth when entering a stream & look around first. I try to dry fly fish upstream but I've seen trout positioned sideways in the stream so that isn't a foolproof solution. I usually nymph or streamer fish downstream so a long line or stealth is needed. IMHO

OldMan

Reaction score
It cracks me up when I release a fish, and it tries to hide next to my boot.

Pocono

Reaction score
I tend to fish at the longest possible distances (limited only by my casting abilities and the ability to see/feel a fish on the line); it's just more fun for me that way. So, I don't pay much attention to what I wear. But I just did a quick inventory and it's mostly neutral colors; tans / browns / some dark greens. I don't carry any stainless or chromed devices on my vest (all black anodized). Rods tend to be dark colors (greens / burgandies / etc.) and reels, for the most part, are black. So, without thinking much more about it, I'd say that I'm a "non-flasher"! :rolleyes:

OldMan

Reaction score
I tend to fish at the longest possible distances (limited only by my casting abilities and the ability to see/feel a fish on the line); it's just more fun for me that way. So, I don't pay much attention to what I wear. But I just did a quick inventory and it's mostly neutral colors; tans / browns / some dark greens. I don't carry any stainless or chromed devices on my vest (all black anodized). Rods tend to be dark colors (greens / burgandies / etc.) and reels, for the most part, are black. So, without thinking much more about it, I'd say that I'm a "non-flasher"! :rolleyes:
That's good. The world doesn't need anymore flashers.:exercise:

Joni

Reaction score
Now you guys have got this visual of a full length fishing vest...and maybe hippers.....YIKES!