The Impact of Lake Trout in Yellowstone Lake

moucheur2003

Reaction score
It's good to read that the gill netting program is beginning to show results. For a long time it was uncertain whether the lake trout population could be reduced.

silver creek

Reaction score
I haven't fished the Yellowstone since the lake trout devastated the cutthroat population. Anyone fish the Yellowstone River in the Park recently? How has it been?

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
We've had a fairly large lake trout issue in Sebago Lake. They've opened up the slot limits a lot here for ice fishing to try and cull the population. It's unfortunate because Sebago used to be an absolutely unbelievable salmon fishery. Not sure if we'll ever get it back but the rules are trying to help.

lightline

Reaction score
I haven't fished the Yellowstone since the lake trout devastated the cutthroat population. Anyone fish the Yellowstone River in the Park recently? How has it been?
While not like the pre-lake trout days, it's coming back. Numbers are low, but size is really good. I've fished it the last couple of late July's, and found some good fish on big bugs like drakes and Callibaetis. It's still sad to be there envisioning and remembering what it was, but its nice to see some life back in the river. The crowds are coming back a little too, but you can still find a parking place at Buffalo Ford and a few turnouts on up to the falls. A little walking takes care of crowding, and you need to hunt a lot to find some heads. I think you'd like it with proper expectations.

benglish

Reaction score
I fished it three years back the same time of year I did for a decade+from the late 90's to late early 10's. It was devastating to me how poor the fishing was. We saw ONE, I am not kidding, ONE cutthroat at fishing bridge. It was beyond sad.

Jedd45

Reaction score
In late June / early July 1983, I friends into the Yellowstone and tribs like the Thoraughfarefare, etc., for one month. We did not fish the Yellowstone or tribs. We did fly fish Stillwater outside the park. One of my fondest memories of said trip involved the cutthroat rampage (run) upriver of Yellowstone Lake. The cutts were everywhere including, but not limited to, swimming up game trails. Seriously! Amazing.

The run has not been the same since given my subsequent exposures. Hopefully, we are headed in the direction of restoration.

chechem

Reaction score
I fished it three years back the same time of year I did for a decade+from the late 90's to late early 10's. It was devastating to me how poor the fishing was. We saw ONE, I am not kidding, ONE cutthroat at fishing bridge. It was beyond sad.
I fish YNP annually, mostly along the Madison (early) and Lamar (later in summer). We always make a trek to try the Yellowstone. Back in the 1980s the Yellowstone below fishing bridge was lined with fishermen; indeed full of fish. The past 3 years we've tried fishing one day each year at Buffalo Ford (Nez Perce Ford) without any luck. We've heard stories of an occasional large cutthroat caught, but haven't seen any.

mt_flyfisher

Reaction score
I’ve fished the Yellowstone in the Park more or less several times every year, except last year, for many years. Although the numbers of cutthroat are nowhere near what they once were, the size of these fish have increased. Although you may have to do a bit more walking to find these fish, I personally find it very enjoyable to catch just a fish or 3 in a day spent fishing there, with the potential that one or more of them might be in the 20” to 24” range.

wthorpe

Reaction score
While not like the pre-lake trout days, it's coming back. Numbers are low, but size is really good. I've fished it the last couple of late July's, and found some good fish on big bugs like drakes and Callibaetis. It's still sad to be there envisioning and remembering what it was, but its nice to see some life back in the river. The crowds are coming back a little too, but you can still find a parking place at Buffalo Ford and a few turnouts on up to the falls. A little walking takes care of crowding, and you need to hunt a lot to find some heads. I think you'd like it with proper expectations.
I mostly agree. You can catch a fish of a lifetime there. You can also fish 3 straight days without a take. Not the place to go and catch 15 or 20 15 - 16 inchers. It's the hero/zero thing. I missed going last year. But was there a few times 2 and 3 and maybe 4 years ago. An especially discerning tape measure deprived me of landing my biggest fish ever by 3/10, yes that's .3, or 30/100 of an inch. And i spent 5 hours in two days casting to a fish that was easily on the scale of 25 to 30 inches which never once moved towards the several dozen different flies i tossed his way.