Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Early Feburary Fishing

I am going to have some time around early Feb 2011 and trying to find good places to fish trouts for several days. Does any of you know places near New Mexico or south Colorado where I can do wade and fish during that time.
    I am skeptical of Colorado around that time because it is usually really cold up there. I have been thinking of going Arkansas, but I was told that the release of the water there is so unpredictable that many people try to avoid the trip there.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Early Feburary Fishing

You could try the San Juan River, NM. It is a tailwater, very technical fishing with 6x tippet and size 24-28 flies, but the rewards can be awesome! It gets pretty crowded in the summer and fall but shouldn't be in Feb. The river in the trophy section has lots of public access so it gives you room to explore different water. There are 2-3 fly shops about 3 miles below the dam that can line you out on the proper flies and rigging to use.
    Larry

Default Re: Early Feburary Fishing

could also try El Vado, Herron or Abique (sp) for still water fishing. the cimmaron comming out of eagle nest is a blue ribbon fishery in NM as well. dont forget to take a gander at the dolers river in CO as well