Is it time to get proactive ???

FrankB2

Reaction score
Ummmm....LOL!!!! Why don't they name them Sea Children: who'd hook a
kid in the mouth :D ????

OTOH...."Surfer Eaten by Sea Kitten" would make an interesting headline!

axle27

Reaction score
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals....

Nuff said....

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Those S(*S&B*&^%%S have been playing those games for years, whats hurting fishing and hunting more is people not takeing the time to teach their kids to fish and hunt, I have noticed on fishing programs some are starting to incourage people to take teir kids and even friends kids and nieces and nephews fishing, and there are starting to be city programes where the local clubs and conservation departments are holding kids fishing days and even teachers are adding "outdoors" field trips and talking about it in class. To me those are the best ways to teach kids and other folks about the outdoors and fishing and hunting and the truth of such. So many people today worry about makeing money, wich is good, but they need to learn to get back to mother nature and her wonders. There is even a passage in the bible about how God put fish and animales on this planet to provide for man( not trying to get a religan debate going here). I take any kid fishing that wants to go. my sons friends thats never been, other kids in my familoy that their parents either are not into fishing or just dont have the time, I even offer a discount on my guide trips for people that bring a kid. NOT advertising here. lol.
Another thing we can do is this. I was fishing for trout one day and useing a spinning rod and spinners, a mother brought her kid to fish and they set pretty close to me. after 5 minutes I could see the mother had no clue and the kid only being 7 or so didnt either. I walked over and introduced my self to the mother and said I would show her son how to fish a little if she didnt mind. She said that was great, so I started in on knot tying, casting, diffrent lures and technecs and diffrent fish in the river and after just a few moments she was setting right beside us listing. I seen them a couple weeks later, they BOTH had rods and a better tackle selection and they both caught fish. No I am not bragging here, I am just saying that we as fisherman need to slow down a little some times and not worry about catching fish our sleves and teach others, who knows maybe that mother will take her son fishing more and they will take her sons friends that have never fished.
And while your teaching them to fish, teach them about nature also, the birds they hear and see, the fish in the water we dont fish for, the plants and trees they see and how everything ties into one another.Teach them just to enjoy the day and their surrindings as well as catching the fish.
Anyway I have rambled on long enough
Bear

arfishinbear

Reaction score
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals....

Nuff said....
Vegetarian= old indian word meaning bad hunter/fisher
and we can't forget
Theres a place for all Gods critters, right nest to teh tatters and gravy

BigCliff

Reaction score
I view this as a good sign.

PETA is a far our fringe organization that has to do oddball/shocking things to get any attention. If they're having to do something this outlandish, that tells me they are being ignored much more than they like.

Move along. Nothing more to see here.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to this website & post what you think. Its a new PETA site.

PETA Attempts To Make Fish More Adorable : NPR
Fishn,

I favor leaving a sleeping dog lie, until they try to spam this and other legitimate fly fishing sites or to over run us with fraudulent posters.

I have a better chance of being left alone by Hornets if I don't throw stones at the nest. If the group becomes a bother to legal fly fishermen then I am a firm believer in judicial action as opposed to any other as a first step.

Fringe, I guess so, but we are all on some fringe or another. That is why my father and grandfather fought in two world wars, to protect my right to be a fringe element.

Let's talk fish, it's 44* here! That's + 44 F!

axle27

Reaction score
44? Geez, did you ship that cold stuff down here? It's 20F with a windchill of 8F!!!!

I'm afraid I'll slip on some ice and bust another crack in my ass.....

eaglesfn68

Reaction score
i swear this is the stupidest thing i have ever read. I mean catching and releasing fish does no harm to the fish. there have been scientific studies that fish dont feel pain in the lip area. If you practice proper catch and release the fish will be perfectly fine and will have the ability to reproduce. I mean PETA is taking this a little to far. hooking a cat and dragging it behind a car. are they serious. that is cruel and would kill a cat. studies show that proper catch and release does no harm. PETA fisherman are the people you should be working with. We want to improve the fisheries and the health of the fish. we love the outdoors and animals and would do nothing to harm them. We fish and hunt because its a tradition passed down from generations. If either for a hobby or for food there can be no harm from taking a kid fishing and having a good time.

Greenwood

Reaction score
Yeah, read this online in mainline media the other day. I figure if they've got to go to this type of extreme, then they have some serious image/publicity problems. I noted with satisfaction that the online comments were about 1 zillion to one against what they were doing.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Axel,

If it stays this warm tomorrow I'll be trout / steelhead fishing. Gotta get out while I can. Fingers are almost back up to snuff but still some numbness at the tips. I read that if I was traveling 40mph at -37* the wind factor gave me a -100* situation where I was vulnerable. I had no choice, it was either head home or stay put and see how much fire wood I could burn.

Pretty weird because this same thing happened last January too. Not the frostbite but the wild temp swings. I stayed at camp for almost nine weeks last winter and after enduring nine strait days of -40 low and -18 highs it went to 43 degrees and rained cats and dogs. There was so much overflow on the lake and river I had to stay put for a week until things froze up again. That's why I'm here at home waiting this one out.

Like I said, if it stays warm I'll make the best of it and go fishing. If I find any I'll post pictures. I usually don't carry a camera in foul weather which means my fish pictures are few and far between but I'll take one now because I'm active on this site.

Ard

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Axel,

If it stays this warm tomorrow I'll be trout / steelhead fishing. Gotta get out while I can. Fingers are almost back up to snuff but still some numbness at the tips. I read that if I was traveling 40mph at -37* the wind factor gave me a -100* situation where I was vulnerable. I had no choice, it was either head home or stay put and see how much fire wood I could burn.

Pretty weird because this same thing happened last January too. Not the frostbite but the wild temp swings. I stayed at camp for almost nine weeks last winter and after enduring nine strait days of -40 low and -18 highs it went to 43 degrees and rained cats and dogs. There was so much overflow on the lake and river I had to stay put for a week until things froze up again. That's why I'm here at home waiting this one out.

Like I said, if it stays warm I'll make the best of it and go fishing. If I find any I'll post pictures. I usually don't carry a camera in foul weather which means my fish pictures are few and far between but I'll take one now because I'm active on this site.

Ard
aquapac makes a waterproof pouch that lets you use your camera while still in it fro around 50, check out, www.thewaterproofstore.com

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Az, I guess what I really meant is that I don't like the hassle. I like to drag em in pop out the hook and let em swim. When I do a photo op it seems to turn into a longer period of time before I cut em loose.

Photos are cool, I just sometimes get cynical and say to myself "are you going fishing or photographing"? I'm OK at either but like to make a clear distinction between the two. I do have a little Kodak 4600 that tucks inside my jacket without too much bulk and I intend to carry it more often. The camera I prefer is a SLR and that's out of the question.

Let's hope fore a mild day in AK. and away I'll go....................... remember when Jackie Gleason used to say that?

KRD

Reaction score
why a kitten I ask. A person on another forum posted

"A kitten sure is a poor choice.

I mean they eat fish too. They even like to play with them before they kill them."

axle27

Reaction score
Axel,

Ard
That's right, keep rubbing it in....kidding. Glad you will have the chance. It was 6F this morning with a -3F wind chill. Nothing like you're seeing, but that's cold for around here....

I usually take a camera, but almost always forget to take pics.

Troutwhisperer

Reaction score
hey everyone i just recently heard from somebody who said that whitefish a town near kallispell MT is trying to change their mascot to a sea kitten, dont know if its true, i'll try and find an article on it.

FISHN50

Reaction score
Those S(*S&B*&^%%S have been playing those games for years, whats hurting fishing and hunting more is people not takeing the time to teach their kids to fish and hunt, I have noticed on fishing programs some are starting to incourage people to take teir kids and even friends kids and nieces and nephews fishing, and there are starting to be city programes where the local clubs and conservation departments are holding kids fishing days and even teachers are adding "outdoors" field trips and talking about it in class. To me those are the best ways to teach kids and other folks about the outdoors and fishing and hunting and the truth of such. So many people today worry about makeing money, wich is good, but they need to learn to get back to mother nature and her wonders. There is even a passage in the bible about how God put fish and animales on this planet to provide for man( not trying to get a religan debate going here). I take any kid fishing that wants to go. my sons friends thats never been, other kids in my familoy that their parents either are not into fishing or just dont have the time, I even offer a discount on my guide trips for people that bring a kid. NOT advertising here. lol.
Another thing we can do is this. I was fishing for trout one day and useing a spinning rod and spinners, a mother brought her kid to fish and they set pretty close to me. after 5 minutes I could see the mother had no clue and the kid only being 7 or so didnt either. I walked over and introduced my self to the mother and said I would show her son how to fish a little if she didnt mind. She said that was great, so I started in on knot tying, casting, diffrent lures and technecs and diffrent fish in the river and after just a few moments she was setting right beside us listing. I seen them a couple weeks later, they BOTH had rods and a better tackle selection and they both caught fish. No I am not bragging here, I am just saying that we as fisherman need to slow down a little some times and not worry about catching fish our sleves and teach others, who knows maybe that mother will take her son fishing more and they will take her sons friends that have never fished.
And while your teaching them to fish, teach them about nature also, the birds they hear and see, the fish in the water we dont fish for, the plants and trees they see and how everything ties into one another.Teach them just to enjoy the day and their surrindings as well as catching the fish.
Anyway I have rambled on long enough
Bear
I heartily agree that we should all pass on the sport on to kids. Years ago T.U started up trying to get local kids chapters started all over the country. The Federation of Flyfisherman has a excellent kids & beginners program. T.U.'s latest & IMHO the best program is "Trout In The Classroom"
Home - Trout in the Classroom
It's an educational program at the grassroots level. These programs will keep the sport alive by teaching the real world to kids & maybe keep them informed enough to laugh off the insanity these PETA people are spewing.
If any of you are teachers or know teachers I urge you to look into this program.

flyfisher45

Reaction score
Kids should be introduced to the outdoors. Not put in front of video games and tv. Thats part of the problem with kids being sick, They are not outside building up their immune system. I take my kids fishing and hiking and camping. They love being outdoors and they are only 4.:fishing: