Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  153
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout fishing universe)

Default Re: Fair weather fishermen....

My fishing partner can be counted on to get up in the middle of the night, drive 4 hours and get soaked and bug eaten without any complaints. He always appreciates the fish I catch and will comfort me if a big one gets away. Not very talkative but I like that.

All I have to do is toss him a milkbone every hour or so and he's good to go. And because he has 4 legs to my two he doesn't tire that easily. The ideal fishing partner bar none.

2. Likes karstopo, ia_trouter, Ard, jangles liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    Please allow me to vent some. Just endured a horrible Iowa winter. I've been excited for the "trout opener". This is Iowa so the season doesn't actually close, but most of the cold water I can range in a day trip is stocker water, and the water is 98% devoid of trout since last November. Not real trout fishing, but it's the southernmost Driftless and honestly all I really got semi-local. So I make it my paradise in between better trips.

So the trip date is set six weeks ago. It's hard for me to get a day off from work so I planned it out well in advance. Just got a text, "Hey buddy, it's gonna rain a half inch tonight, think I'll pass tomorrow". Seriously? I think I'll take a pass on scouting out the May crappie spawn like I always do on the local lake and inviting him at the perfect time so he can crush them. Maybe I should try to find a fishing buddy not afraid to get wet or throw a few dark streamers in dirty water.

Disappointed, and annoyed, ....thanks for listening.
    Dude, I feel your pain. Nobody can really predict the weather or what is going to happen to the river in our neck of the woods. The river last weekend for the steelhead opener looked like it was going to be low. Then it warmed up enough to get the river levels up fairly high and cloudy. River crossings were challenging and slightly scary.

We play the hand we are dealt.

The other matter, fishing buddies. I met this friend who wanted me to mentor him. I taught him how to tie flies, I took him to good fishing spots, taught him to read water, make a good dry fly presentation and put him on tons and tons of fish.

The change- He started wanting me to bend my schedule to his. Subtle and ok sure once twice, what? I gave in.

Then it became, What do you think of the weather tomorrow? Well I can't make over till 11am, do you think it will rain all day? I answer I dunno???

I wait, 11-becomes 12 and then he is calling going I dunno man? Do you think it will be a good hatch and fishing tonight? I answer - I dunno???

To be continued....
    Last edited by unknownflyman; 04-09-2019 at 08:19 AM.

4. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

OK we are back on this subject. I'm over it now. I'll just kill him if he does it again, and be done with it lol.

One thing I have learned is fishing buddies are about like being married for the day. It's helpful if you communicate some, and know who you are fishing with. I have friends that just want to fish once a year, and only for a few hours. That's cool, we'll go to the lake for an evening fish since it's a 10 minute ride. I go there all the time. But we won't be trout fishing because that's a 90 minute ride one way. You better pack a lunch for that trip or I will make you go sit in the car lol.

And one more trick I learned from Ard. Sometime people don't know what they are getting into weather wise. A boat ride when you are soaked really sucks, and it doesn't really matter that it's their fault. Yeah Ard is a guide, but it's pretty easy to keep an old hoodie and a rain jacket in my boat storage. It's just easier to be prepared. I've caught a lot of fish because we could stay an extra hour or two. Yeah, that is babysitting adults, but I benefit from being prepared efforts. If you own the boat and the experience, sometimes you are gonna be an unpaid fishing guide just so the day will be less stressful lol.

6. Likes Ard liked this post

My texts normally read the opposite - "Hey buddy were getting 10-15mm of rain tonight let's fish tomorrow!" LOL
    Danny

8. Likes ia_trouter, Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by k_e_v View Post
    So did you go fishing?
    Fishing or catching? I stayed local. It rained a lot up north. At least a week before I get another shot at trout.

Set the ground rules ahead of time, we are going at x if you are late and I am not there you can meet me at y. I just keep to the schedule if they show up then great if not they know what to do and I am still on my schedule. I learned at a very young age that most people I am friends with are not as passionate about fishing as I am. So I let them have their own schedule and I have never been disappointed if I keep to my schedule and meet up with them later. There have been times when a buddy and I are driving 5-6 hours or more and they suggest going together but I usually explain my fishing schedule and they prefer to have the freedom of their own schedule so we drive up separately most of the time. Then we get together at the destination.

Regards,

Tim C.

11. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

I am going to start by saying I am a friendly person but I prefer to fish alone. I find that doing an activity like fishing or running alone I can move at my pace. Always felt that with someone else one of us would have to change their normal behavior because how I move or do things is different from the other person. That means someone has to comprise and may be put off.

I've been a runner for over 40 years and have only run with someone else three times. Always felt like I had to change my pace, and didn't enjoy it.

Hope this makes sense.

13. Likes ia_trouter, jmckinl1, dennyk liked this post

Summer soldier, sunshine patriot - Thomas Paine
    When the going gets tough, the tough go fishing. - Paul Volker, former chairman of the fed. SR

15. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

So anyway, I don't change my schedule, I don't leave early, Ive had friends ***** about how much money they could be making instead of the slow fishing, taking calls and sending texts most places there is no cell service which makes people mad. Oh my wife called she wants me back before the evening hatch....What!? IT`s raining we should head back.....NO. Its too cold, its too warm, its too windy.

I just plan to fish by myself and I warn anyone who wants to tag along- Full day of fly fishing regardless. Most of the time, they say oh I can't make it. OK see you next time maybe.

Ive had high hopes for a few guys but they just couldn't hang. For me a half hour before sunrise till half hour past sunset goes pretty fast day after day.

17. Thanks Bigfly thanked for this post
    Likes dennyk, Joey Bagels, Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by rfb700 View Post
    My fishing partner can be counted on to get up in the middle of the night, drive 4 hours and get soaked and bug eaten without any complaints. He always appreciates the fish I catch and will comfort me if a big one gets away. Not very talkative but I like that.

All I have to do is toss him a milkbone every hour or so and he's good to go. And because he has 4 legs to my two he doesn't tire that easily. The ideal fishing partner bar none.
    Best fishing partner to have, bar none. I wish I could take my little one along, but she would take off and probably get eaten by a bear or some other bad situation.

19. Likes tcorfey, rfb700 liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast