Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where are all the feathers?

Greetings,
    This is my first post here. I've been fly fishing and fly tying for over 40 years. I took time off a while back for school and work and went back at it a few years ago. I began to look for good genetic hackle. I stumbled upon Collins hackle and got a couple of the grade 3 grizzly necks. It had been quite a few years since I had bought hackle and I was stunned by the quality of a grade 3 neck. This was perhaps 5 or 6 years ago. Fast forward to today, I'm preparing for a couple of major surgeries and want to get some hackle as I will have about 4 or 5 months off for rehab. I was looking at Feather Emporiums website. It's fantastic and I wanted to get the 5 neck deal he offered for the Whiting necks. I placed the order with him but never got it. I've been looking all over the internet and can't find a reliable source for Whiting. I've been told there is a shortage. Is this true? Are there any other sources for Whiting? Can anyone recommend another hackle grower?

Default Re: Where are all the feathers?

Hairline dubbing will sell you those. CB

Blog Entries

With all that time at your disposal maybe you'll become active with this forum? There are many members here who would enjoy hearing about your experiences and benefit from them I'm sure.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

4. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

I won't go back to the Feather Emporium. I ordered Whiting hackle saddles and what I ended up with was twisted, sparsed barbed hackle. I looked at some saddle hackle at a local fly shop to compare the two and realized I had been took.

If I can't find the specific hackle I want from the local shops, I order from others.

Whiting Farms Hackle, Genetic & Saddle Hackle | J. Stockard

Whiting Farms Archives - Guided Fly Fishing Madison River | Lodging | Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing

By the way, welcome to the forum. Your user name is my favorite fly.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

6. Likes hairwing530, ts47 liked this post

oops, double posted.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

Thank you for the welcome! I'm sure I'll be in here more anyway. I was pretty active on a fly fishing forum a long time ago. I am looking forward to doing so again.

9. Likes scotty macfly, flytie09, hairwing530 liked this post

I had a question about tackle last year and was directed to jimsflyco. Has descriptions on each cape and saddle so you know what you are buying.

11. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyshishido View Post
    I had a question about tackle last year and was directed to jimsflyco. Has descriptions on each cape and saddle so you know what you are buying.
    I have bought hackle from all the above places, but I really like the description that Jim provides on his site and have been very happy with the material I have ordered from him. Plus I like staying there when I'm fishing the Madison.
    Larry

13. Likes hairwing530, jspfishing liked this post

Try Jim Slattery's shop has the largest selection of Whiting hackles I have seen Jims Fly Co

15. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Bought from him already. He seems to have the biggest selection of Whiting that I could find on the internet so far. Good service, too.

17. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast