Grizzly Bear Attack near Ennis, MT

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I saw this on the Yellowstone blog today (http://flyfishyellowstone.blogspot.com):

NEWS RELEASE . . . courtesy FWP
A 17 year-old male was attacked by a bear south of Ennis on Sunday. He fortunately survived the attack with relatively minor injuries.
The teen and his family were visiting their cabin in Wolf Creek, about 30 miles south of Ennis, on the east side of the Madison Valley. He was out looking for shed antlers in the area.
According to the teen, he was walking down a hill around 2 p.m. when he heard a “thump” behind him.
He turned around to see a bear charging at him. The teen was carrying bear spray, but he was unable to deploy it immediately because of the bear’s rapid approach. The bear pushed him up against a tree and held him there momentarily.
When the bear let go, the teen fell over and attempted to crawl between two trees and protect his head and vitals. The bear then pinned him face-down on the ground.
The teen, who was wearing a hoodie and a backpack, said he was able to reach over his shoulder and spray the bear with bear spray, and the bear left.
The young man began walking out and made radio contact with his family. He was treated for his injuries at Madison Valley Medical Center and later released.

osseous

Reaction score
Where he promptly set about washing his soiled drawers

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

karstopo

Reaction score
Hunting sheds is something I like to do, but maybe I’ll avoid it in grizzly country. Wild bears are a lot faster than the Hollywood version. I’ve seen how fast a wild black bear can move and a grizzly can chase down and kill a black bear.

yikes

Reaction score
The teen was carrying bear spray, but he was unable to deploy it immediately because of the bear’s rapid approach.
Man, that happened to me, except the black bear suddenly turned away from me... because it was being chased by a grizzly, which was also more interested in the black bear than me. No way would I have had time.

robtmitchell

Reaction score
Lucky young man!
Not trying to be funny, but somewhere near the Grizzily Bar ?
30 miles South and then up away from the river on the 287 highway side? I know they had some other incidents near Quake Lake/ Cabin Creek / Beaver Creek during Bow hunting season.
Just trying to understand the location.

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I guess the bear lived there and the man didn't. I sure hope they don't decide to hunt the bear down and kill it cause it was protecting it's turf.

CB

chechem

Reaction score
I fish YNP and the Madison R area every summer for 6-8 weeks. I used to think bear spray was for tourists; not now. After seeing bears up close and hearing of numerous stories like this, I always carry it. You never know!

Good tip: Many motels and rentals will lend you a can of spray if you ask.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have fished Montana fairly extensively for 48 years now and have not had an up-close-and-personal Grizzly Bear experience...for which I'm very grateful. I'm always aware that when in their habitat, I am far from top dog. That is a humbling realization for any outdoorsman. I feel similarly around sharks in the Bahamas where I've observed a Hammerhead longer than our skiff too close for my guide's comfort.

buffler razz

Reaction score
We live, fish and recreate in their backyard. Bear spray is permanently attached to our fishing gear. Spares for hiking and visitors. Same goes for having “your head on a swivel” . Have had grizzly sightings in our treks but no encounters. As for blackies, numerous sightings and two close encounters.

As cb3fish noted, this is their home. And their range is expanding.
Grizzlies fill out ecosystem | Local | jhnewsandguide.com

osseous

Reaction score
I have had literally thousands of encounters with sharks while diving. Including physical contact. None of them had affected me. One day off Eleuthera, my brother and I came across a large Hammerhead that we both agreed was a different experience. We were sized up as prey. This animal used the differential between its eyes to gauge our size- no question. It altered its path to be able to see us with both eyes. We knew just what was going on and it spooked the hell out of us. Kind of like bumping into a lion while out for a walk in Africa... There are predators, and then, there are PREDATORS. Grizzlies are not an animal to be taken lightly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

reels

Reaction score
Glad there were no major injuries. We had a bad attack in the Rockies last year IIRC.

I always carry either bear spray or a handgun depending where I'm fishing.
99.7% chance I'll never need the protection, but I prefer to be prepared for that %0.3

Closest I've come to using it was in a close (25') standoff with a buffalo in Yellowstone Park.
Needless to say I gave him the right of way and did not need to use the spray!

silver creek

Reaction score
Lucky young man!
Not trying to be funny, but somewhere near the Grizzily Bar ?
30 miles South and then up away from the river on the 287 highway side? I know they had some other incidents near Quake Lake/ Cabin Creek / Beaver Creek during Bow hunting season.
Just trying to understand the location.
Wolf Creek is well north of the Grizzly Bar and north of the entrance to the Sun Ranch, if you know where that it. Wolf Creek runs into the Madison just about half way between McAtee Bridge to the north and the Lyons Bridge to the south.

http://www.madisonvalleyranch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/rivermap.pdf

Redrock

Reaction score
I believe the second meadow on Slough Creek in YNP is one of the most beautiful places on earth. In July the grass along the creek is waist to chest high. I quit going because I believed sooner or later I was was going to find myself in a bad situation. This was before bear spray became common. At one time one of the YNP back country permit offices had a large poster of a mature griz with a bloody muzzle. I thought it conveyed the message pretty well.

rustneversleeps

Reaction score
They are all over. Stories every single year. Its all stories until you're the unlucky one. I chuckle every time when I hear of first timers in bear country and aren't worried in the slightest bit.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Kid definitely had the luck of the Irish that day. He should, in fact, be quite dead right now. Good thing he had some bear spray. And that he could access it. And that he not only remembered he had it, but that he had the sense to use it without fouling that up. And that it worked.

Nix

Reaction score
I usually carry spray or a .44. However, I will say that in the handful of bear 'encounters' I've had, neither would have been useful if the bear had been aggressive. They are remarkably quiet and stunningly quick.

I once was standing on the side of a hill, looking down into a brushy area, and thinking "hmmm, that looks like a likely spot to run into a bear", when a grizzly ran right past me. He came down the hill, behind me, passed within a few yards, and ran right into the spot where I had been looking.

I was stunned that I hadn't heard him and shocked by his speed. I would not have had a chance to use my spray if he had been intent on teaching me a lesson.

And you have to wonder what he was running from......:suspicious:

Still, it makes sense to carry a can of spray because there are situations in which people have successfully used spray to minimize the effects of an encounter. If nothing else, it works as a security blanket for me. I fish in some areas with fairly high grizzly densities and I'd feel pretty naked without some spray. :icon_eek: