Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Grizzly Bear Attack near Ennis, MT

I saw this on the Yellowstone blog today (http://flyfishyellowstone.blogspot.com):

NEWS RELEASE . . . courtesy FWP
    A 17 year-old male was attacked by a bear south of Ennis on Sunday. He fortunately survived the attack with relatively minor injuries.
    The teen and his family were visiting their cabin in Wolf Creek, about 30 miles south of Ennis, on the east side of the Madison Valley. He was out looking for shed antlers in the area.
    According to the teen, he was walking down a hill around 2 p.m. when he heard a “thump” behind him.
    He turned around to see a bear charging at him. The teen was carrying bear spray, but he was unable to deploy it immediately because of the bear’s rapid approach. The bear pushed him up against a tree and held him there momentarily.
    When the bear let go, the teen fell over and attempted to crawl between two trees and protect his head and vitals. The bear then pinned him face-down on the ground.
    The teen, who was wearing a hoodie and a backpack, said he was able to reach over his shoulder and spray the bear with bear spray, and the bear left.
    The young man began walking out and made radio contact with his family. He was treated for his injuries at Madison Valley Medical Center and later released.
    Larry

2. Thanks silver creek, kevind62 thanked for this post
    Likes karstopo, mka liked this post

Default Re: Grizzly Bear Attack near Ennis, MT

Where he promptly set about washing his soiled drawers

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Holy-moly! Heading there next week... I guess I’d better stop and get some bear spray!
    Wallace

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hunting sheds is something I like to do, but maybe I’ll avoid it in grizzly country. Wild bears are a lot faster than the Hollywood version. I’ve seen how fast a wild black bear can move and a grizzly can chase down and kill a black bear.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    The teen was carrying bear spray, but he was unable to deploy it immediately because of the bear’s rapid approach.
    Man, that happened to me, except the black bear suddenly turned away from me... because it was being chased by a grizzly, which was also more interested in the black bear than me. No way would I have had time.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

9. Likes karstopo, mcnerney, photoguy liked this post

I'm glad it ended the way it did. That young man was very lucky to only get minor injuries.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

11. Likes mcnerney, clouserguyky liked this post

Lucky young man!
    Not trying to be funny, but somewhere near the Grizzily Bar ?
    30 miles South and then up away from the river on the 287 highway side? I know they had some other incidents near Quake Lake/ Cabin Creek / Beaver Creek during Bow hunting season.
    Just trying to understand the location.

13. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I guess the bear lived there and the man didn't. I sure hope they don't decide to hunt the bear down and kill it cause it was protecting it's turf.

CB

15. Likes geordie41 liked this post

I fish YNP and the Madison R area every summer for 6-8 weeks. I used to think bear spray was for tourists; not now. After seeing bears up close and hearing of numerous stories like this, I always carry it. You never know!

Good tip: Many motels and rentals will lend you a can of spray if you ask.

17. Thanks driftless22, iv_wjb thanked for this post

I have fished Montana fairly extensively for 48 years now and have not had an up-close-and-personal Grizzly Bear experience...for which I'm very grateful. I'm always aware that when in their habitat, I am far from top dog. That is a humbling realization for any outdoorsman. I feel similarly around sharks in the Bahamas where I've observed a Hammerhead longer than our skiff too close for my guide's comfort.

19. Thanks Spindoc thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast