Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  175
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Mental Toughness as a Requirement?

Quick question: had this discussion in another non-fishing forum and was curious: how important, or is it important, to have a high level of mental toughness for flyfishing?

If so, how do you define/find mental toughness? Are you just born with it? If not, why not? How did you acquire mental toughness?

How do you use it/how is it related to your fishing tactics/philosophy?

Who do you respect for their mental toughness, either personally or in sports/other? And why?

If not, why not?
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

2. Likes myt1, karstopo, hairwing530 liked this post

Default Re: Mental Toughness as a Requirement?

I think it is very important.

Sadly, I also think low self-esteem and a willingness to suffer also figure prominently.

And there is also that thing about doing the same thing over and over and over again, all while hoping for a different outcome than the first bazillion times you tried it.

Most normal people would say this is bullsh*t and move on.
    -Rick Allen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by myt1 View Post
    I think it is very important.

Sadly, I also think low self-esteem and a willingness to suffer also figure prominently.

And there is also that thing about doing the same thing over and over and over again, all while hoping for a different outcome than the first bazillion times you tried it.

Most normal people would say this is bullsh*t and move on.
    Almost spit my coffee onto the keyboard. That is a Truth, with a capital "T" for sure.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

5. Likes mcnerney, spm, hairwing530, leftytyro, iv_wjb, ts47 liked this post

Mental toughness = (persistence + focus) x some animating desire/drive/fascination.

Fly fishing lends itself as a playground for that -- and without death or bankruptcy on the line. Theoretically.

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 2.17.35 PM.jpg

I'm headed out because I believe there will BWOs popping in the right places not getting wind today. They are due.

Mental Toughness ??

More like mental illness, if you ask me.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Fly Fishing for Trout - Mild Commitment

Swinging for Steelhead - Extreme mental Toughness

Fly Fishing for Muskey - Mental insanity
    Quality Fly Fishing Reels at www.taylorflyfishing.com

Never experience it in flyfishing or fishing in general, but archery elk hunting is an entirely different beast

Pure escapism for me....the opposite of mental toughness

11. Thanks williamhj thanked for this post

Fly fishing for me is relaxation, an escape from the need for mental toughness, which for me was my day job. I think if a person was a guide, there is a need not only for some toughness, a thick skin, and a sense of humor as well. But for me, I never felt as relaxed as I when I was fishing.

Dave Engerbretson was a friend and when he asked me if he could publish an essay I wrote about "Why I Fly Fish," I gave him permission. It was published in his column.

FLY FISHING: Why fly fish? For this we look to a friend | Looking Out | dnews.com
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

13. Thanks Redbrook thanked for this post

For me, it's fishing. Not life or death. I don't have to perform, just fish. Long days on the water (no fish) are still enjoyable. More optimism. The next cast will fool a fish.

Mental toughness is being able to function in a landscape of adversity. There's no adversity in fishing.

15. Likes dharkin, rusty 54, myt1 liked this post
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast