Soft Hackle Streamers

txbevo

Reaction score
Anyone fishing soft hackle streamers? I am particularly interested if anyone is using them for warmwater species like bass and panfish and in stillwater. Any recommendations on some patterns to try and where I can pick some up (don't tie myself yet)? I have seen Jack Gartside's site and like the looks of his flies, but they are pretty darn expensive. I would be ticked if I lost a $5.00 - $6.00 fly to a tree or bush fish.

kayakangler

Reaction score
I use soft hackles all the time. My go to flies for both stream and lake. They are pretty easy to tie and don't use expensive materials. My current favorites are a Krystal Flash, Peacock and Partridge and an AP Baetis Emerger. Goggle them and you should get lots of info.

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Anyone fishing soft hackle streamers? I am particularly interested if anyone is using them for warmwater species like bass and panfish and in stillwater. Any recommendations on some patterns to try and where I can pick some up (don't tie myself yet)? I have seen Jack Gartside's site and like the looks of his flies, but they are pretty darn expensive. I would be ticked if I lost a $5.00 - $6.00 fly to a tree or bush fish.
Soft hackles work great for gill's, crappie, and bass. For bluegills its hard to beat a sponge spider though, you can buy them all day long for about a buck a piece. Cabelas, Orvis, and "the Fly Shop" all have a pretty good selection of flies for warm water.
And if ya loose a 5 buck fly to a tree, just think of me loosing a 15 buck crankbait to a tree and it may not seem so bad lol

ab4usa

Reaction score
I buy them at my local shop. 15 for $23.40 plus tax. ($1.95 each or 15 for the price of 12).

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm not sure these flies are commercial available except from Jack
But the Gartside soft hackle streamer is a pretty easy tie
I think he sells the booklet explaining the hows and what fors on his site
Basically it's just two feathers and some flash

You wind the thread back to the mid-way point and tie in a couple of strands of flash
Tie in a blood marabou feather by the butt, concave side up
Wind it forward, being careful not to trap loose fibers and tie it down
Tie in a thin stemmed mallard flank feather by the butt, concave side down
Fold it and make two or three turns and tie it in

Pretty simple and very lifelike... an excellent fly and well designed, just like all of Jack's other flies