Smith Techlite vs Chromapop+ vs Glass?

missin44

Reaction score
I had a pair of Smith sunglasses for a number of years. They developed a hairline crack in the corner of one lens. I sent them back for repair, as it turns out the frame has been discontinued. Smith is offering me a $219 credit for new pair of glasses. I've got it narrowed down the Guides Choice frame with either Techlite (light weight glass), Glass or Chromapop+.

I have a pair of Techlite's and really like them. However the Chromapop+ look nice but a bit worried over lens quality regarding clarity and scratch resistance. The glasses are going to be for low light conditions, most likely the Ignitor lens

I'm leaning toward the Techlite or Chromapop+. Techlite very scratch resistant/heavier than Chromapop+, Chromapop+ very light/less scratch resistant.

Assuming the same lens color anyone have experience with both lenses, noticeable differences?

desmobob

Reaction score
I have glass Chromapop lenses and think they are the best thing out there.

I know glass lenses are heavy, but EVERY time I give in and try plastic lenses, they end up getting scratched in no time.

Tight lines,
Bob

driftless22

Reaction score
I have a pair of the Guide's Choice with the Chromapop+ lens. They are comfortable, due to the lighter weight, and as far as I'm concerned, the lens clarity is excellent. No scratches so far, but I am careful with them.

smilingduck

Reaction score
I have the guides choice also in chroma pop. I love these glasses so light and comfortable great if you have a large head.

I had the other lens b4 and didn’t make a mistake choosing chromo pop. Tight lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt77

Reaction score
I have 2 pair of Guide Choice Chromapops that need to go back to warranty. Both with delaminated lenses. Im a huge Smith fan and only wear their glasses but I only wear the glass ones now. Once you get use to the weight the chromopop feels awkward how light they are. I did not have problems with scratching and clarity of chromopops were pretty good.

bonefish41

Reaction score
I am primarily salt flats. I have four polars...three plastic KbCo lenses two are CR 39 and one is Tri-Vex. whereas One glass which is Smith Copper PolarChromic which I use both salt and fresh...glass lenses are the best for field cleaning...and for me they are the sharpest irrespective of the usual polarized marketing hyperbole by the Companies...plastic lenses in the field are a pain...first wash the grit off...then solvent type lens cleaner to get the "grease" off...then high tech cloth to dry...whereas the glass Techlites...dunk in stream or water bottle wipe with shirt done...or just wipe on shirt to remove smudge...

pati

Reaction score
I have the SMITH TECHLITE POLYCHROMIC COPPER, and I wouldn't change them for anything!!!

They have been topping the Hatch magazine "most versatile" glasses category for the past 7 or 8 years, in a world where there are so many "new" stuff from so many great brands (Smith, Costa, Maui, Serengeti...), that's quite s statement...

Here is the latest from Hatch magazine, you will be able to see their opinion on the chroma pop and techlite (and quite a few other from other brands): Best fishing sunglasses for 2018-2019 | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc.

upstreamcast

Reaction score
I have two pairs of Smith's prescription sunglasses. One is the Outback with ChromaPop PLUS Polarized Brown Digital lenses. The other is the Ridgewell with ChromaPop PLUS Polarized Ignitor Digital. Love them both. ChromaPop PLUS Polarized Ignitor lenses are the way to go.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I own the guide chomapop+ and they are great for the waters around here. The high mountain lakes I switch over to Costa's Tuna Alley as they are a hint darker.

As for scratching. Take proper care of your equipment and you'll never have an issue. Use the right cloth as most clothing is abrasive. Use your drinking water to wash them off as river water has sediment. Simple no brainer practices and you'll get your $ worth.

Capt. Josh Gisclair

Reaction score
I use Smith chromapop in copper and would not use anything else. It is hands down the best glasses/lens combination for sight fishing here in Louisiana. I did have a pair that delaminated over time but I and guilty of being rough with them. With that said I will always replace them with a new set when needed.