Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Fly Rods

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    quiet corner, ct
    Posts
    8,509

    Default Re: Fly Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
    OMG!! Can't we just answer this guys question!
    No.... there's no answer to this
    I started with a $3 cane rod and graduated to a $7 glass rod...
    The equipment you use means nothing.....

    How you use it is everything....
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

  2. Default Re: Fly Rods

    I agree with Rip Tide.

  3. Default Re: Fly Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    No.... there's no answer to this
    I started with a $3 cane rod and graduated to a $7 glass rod...
    The equipment you use means nothing.....

    How you use it is everything....
    Of course there is an answer to this. He is just asking for an opinion from people that know more than him to help him make an educated decision. Answering with "spend more time on the water" or "it's how you use the equipment" isn't helping him make an educated purchase. I get what every body else is saying and I happen to agree, spending more time on the water, or taking casting classes will make you a better fisherman/caster no matter what rod you purchase. But that doesn't help this poor guy decide what rod to get. That is all I'm saying.

    Sorry if this post is seeming retaliatory or negative, that is not my intent and you can see from past precedent that that is not my style. I just thought this poor guy deserved an answer to his question.

  4. #14

    Default Re: Fly Rods

    Thank you everyone. I'll be going to a local flyfishing shop next week to talk to them and sign up for flytying classes. I'll ask them their advice on rods and reels. I will also ask about casting lessons and I have tried to make contact with the local tu chapter and haven't heard back from them yet. Can't wait for spring when I can get out and practice.

  5. #15

    Default Re: Fly Rods

    Another rod worth mentioning is the Orvis Clearwater. Under $200 in a 4pc., less for 2pc. and comes with 25 yr. warrenty. It comes in 2 configurations with either a faster tip flex or a more moderate mid flex. Also comes with a very nice rod tube.
    If you have a Orvis store near you I think it would be worth taking a look.
    I also agree that a 9' 5wt. is the best place to start for all around trout fishing. If you get into fly fishing you will eventually end up with more rods in different lengths and wts. but the 9' 5 wt. is probably the most versitile.
    As a second year fly fisher, I can't agree more that time on the water will help you through what can be a very frusterating learning curve much more than high dollar, high tech gear. Save that for when you are on the other side of mastering your basic skills and can appreciate and enjoy that high dollar rod.

  6. #16

    Default Re: Fly Rods

    Thank you, I was thinking either Orvis or St Croix. The 9' 5wt 4 piece is the way that I think I'll be going. That seems to be what more people are saying to go with.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    5,392

    Default Re: Fly Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher45 View Post
    Thank you everyone. I'll be going to a local flyfishing shop next week to talk to them and sign up for flytying classes. I'll ask them their advice on rods and reels. I will also ask about casting lessons and I have tried to make contact with the local tu chapter and haven't heard back from them yet. Can't wait for spring when I can get out and practice.
    Hi Flyfisher45,

    If you can do it, don't buy your rod until you have had a casting lesson or two. You will be better able to judge what rod works best for you. Usually anyone who gives lessons will have more than one rod that you can try. You also have to be careful with some dealers. If he tries to sell you the best rod and reel that he has in the store, you need to look for a new dealer. Most dealers are very good and they recognize that helping you will pay them back with a good customer. That is why a lot of dealers will give free casting lessons.

    Frank

  8. #18

    Default Re: Fly Rods

    These are nice casting rods. The equal of some $500-$600 rods. The price is friendly too. They normally sell for $225.

    Albright Tackle | Fly Rods | Fly Reels | Spin and Casting Rods | Reels | Rods

  9. #19

    Default Re: Fly Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi Flyfisher45,

    If you can do it, don't buy your rod until you have had a casting lesson or two. You will be better able to judge what rod works best for you. Usually anyone who gives lessons will have more than one rod that you can try. You also have to be careful with some dealers. If he tries to sell you the best rod and reel that he has in the store, you need to look for a new dealer. Most dealers are very good and they recognize that helping you will pay them back with a good customer. That is why a lot of dealers will give free casting lessons.

    Frank
    signing up for a casting class that is being run in April. I will see if I can try a couple of rods before I buy.

  10. #20

    Default Re: Fly Rods

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    These are nice casting rods. The equal of some $500-$600 rods. The price is friendly too. They normally sell for $225.

    Albright Tackle | Fly Rods | Fly Reels | Spin and Casting Rods | Reels | Rods
    I will definately try out these rods as well. Getting very good advice from everyone on this site.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Let's see your tying station
    By Frank Whiton in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 407
    Last Post: 09-29-2017, 06:57 PM
  2. Favorite number of rod pieces?
    By Piscator in forum Forum Polls
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 09-16-2015, 03:16 PM
  3. What Fly Fishing Organizations do you belong too?
    By Piscator in forum Forum Polls
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 10:29 AM
  4. GLoomis GL2 vs. Sage Launch
    By Volcanomil in forum Fly Rods
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 01:30 PM
  5. Speeding-Up
    By Fish Boy in forum The Fly Cast
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 02:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •