Fly Rods

flyfisher45

Reaction score
Looking to buy a 5wt, 8' 4 piece rod. Wondering if any one has any sugestions on brands? From what I've read so far it appears the success of the new fly fisherman lies with a good fly rod not a bad one.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Looking to buy a 5wt, 8' 4 piece rod. Wondering if any one has any suggestions on brands? From what I've read so far it appears the success of the new fly fisherman lies with a good fly rod not a bad one.
In my experience the most important element of success is 'time on the water' ...the gear that you use is secondary..... by a very wide margin

OldMan

Reaction score
Looking to buy a 5wt, 8' 4 piece rod. Wondering if any one has any sugestions on brands? From what I've read so far it appears the success of the new fly fisherman lies with a good fly rod not a bad one.
Not as much as some would have you believe. If your goal is to just catch fish.

flyfisher45

Reaction score
That is my goal to catch fish. So the quality of the rod doesn't matter. I know the practice has a lot to do with it.

BigCliff

Reaction score
That is my goal to catch fish. So the quality of the rod doesn't matter.
Well I wouldn't go THAT far, but your ability has much more affect on the catching fish than that of the rod. That said, ours is a sport where good tools make the goal easier to achieve.

I've got a 8' 5wt 4pc St. Croix Avid I like quite well. Its quality is plenty good, warranty is great, and is a pleasure to cast. The other rod I considered that I likely would have been similarly happy with is TFO's Finesse 7'9" 5wt.

I consider it sort of a niche rod though- especially adept at catching smallish bass on smaller rivers. If I were after a general purpose 5wt, I'd get a 9' 5wt ECHO Classic.

rowdy

Reaction score
Spend your money on casting lessons first at a good shop. They will steer you right. :wink:

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
As others have said, don't get caught up in the hype. There are a ton of moderately priced rods out there to pick from.

There are a lot of great rods out there. In terms of price to performance and bang for the buck, rods by TFO (Pro and Finesse) and Echo, for around 150 or so would definitely be worth a look, and if bought through a local shop, you'd probably get a break on price if you bought a set up (rod reel and line) and/or they'd throw in a casting lesson or two. These are not the only choices by any means. Most fly shops will carry these or similar rods from St Croix, Reddington etc in this general price range.

LL Bean also has some good outfits (rod, reel, line, rod tube included) like the Streamlite at around 170 (with 2 piece rod) or a bit more at around 210ish for a four piece rod, plus line, reel and tube).

The Sage Discovery at around 230 for four piece rod and tube is also an excellent rod.

All of these rods have a medium fast action which is more forgiving to learn on than super fast action rods that tend to be more expensive, but they're also rods that you can grow into and be very happy with over time as you develop mad skillz.... as opposed to some less expensive rods that might be OK to learn on, but tend to be a little wimpy as you develop the ability to keep more line (and therefore more weight) in the air on longer casts.

When shopping around some things to look for, besides action, finish etc are:

guarantee- is there a lifetime, unlimited warranty with free repair/replacement? In some cases the answer is yes, in some no, and in some (like TFO the answer is yes with a minimal cost of 30 bucks or so). Lots of bad things can happen, so getting a good guarantee is very important.

2 piece or four piece? four piece models witll typically run 20 to 30 bucks more than the same rod in a 2 piece. Convenient for air travel, no difference in performance.

Does it include a rod tube? If not add another 20-30 bucks.

A decent fly line is also important, figure another 40-60, and a decent reel might go 80-120 or so, for something like an Orvis Battenkill (80) or Lamson Konic (120). Personally, I wouldn't go much higher than that for a trout reel, and you could also get a less expensive reel that would be very serviciable. Even a Pfleuger Medalist for 25 would be OK, and if you wanted to stay within a budget, and had to skimp a little, the reel would be the place to do it.

For all around trout fishing, I'd look at a 5 weight rod, but a 9 footer rather than an 8 foot rod for more line control on water like the Swift and Deerfield up your way, unless you were fishing on really small streams. In addition to casting, one of the most important things (if not more important, since most of the trout will probably be caught within 20 feet of you) is being able to control the drift of the fly by flipping the line ("mending") upstream (usually) the belly of the fly line between rod tip and fly as it picks up speed in the faster current in midstream. Having a longer rod allows you to control the fly line a bit better.

As you narrow down your choices and start to zero in on specific rods reels lines etc, throw them out to the board-- you'll get a lot of candid feedback from folks that have used them.

Good luck!

peregrines

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi flyfisher45,

The important thing in my mind is to buy a rod and line that is a known good setup for a beginner. Buying a Walmart special outfit for $25 or $50 is not a good way to start. A beginner has a hard enough time learning to cast without using a rod and line that don't work. As mentioned by Roudy, some instruction will really help you get started. You may not even have to pay for them if you are close to a good fly shop. At the very least they will help you get a balanced outfit. You can also look for a FFF or Trout Unlimited club. They aways have lessons or a member will volunteer to help you.

Success of a fly fisherman is measured in different ways. You can catch fish with a broom stick but that isn't what fly fishing is all about. You need to learn how to cast, tie knots, select leaders, and understand different flies. To be successful you do need a rod that will Cast well so you can concentrate on learning. Nothing is more discouraging than to have problems casting and not know if it is you or the rod. Almost with out exception people who buy a very cheap rod will up grade later on. I think you are better off buying a good rod to start with and your trip to an accomplished fly fisher will be much smoother and more enjoyable.

I personally think it is a mistake to buy a low cost package that includes the rod, line and leader. The rod may be OK but the line and reel in most cases will be low quality in order to save money to make the combination more attractive.

I am not sure how you decided on the 8' rod length but it may not be your best choice. It has a lot to do with where you fish and what your target fish may be. I think one of the best starter rods out there is the TFO PRO series. It is not a great rod over all but it is a very good rod for a beginner. If you have a budget it would be easier to make a recommendation.

Frank

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Good advice from everyone there, Get some leasons, buy a GOOD fly rod in a price range you can afford with out eating beans for a months and fish,fish,fish,,,,,,,and fish some more, thats how you get good. You can buy a 3,000.00 outfit, you use it once or twice a year you wont be a good caster, you can buy a 200.00 outfit fish it once or twice a week and get good in a hurry.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
OMG!! Can't we just answer this guys question!

In the lowest price range I would recommend an Albright A-5 or an ECHO classic like Cliff said.

If you want a rod that is faster and you can grow with a little longer, step up to a Sage Flight. The new ones, not the old one.

I also have a 4wt. St. Croix Avid like Cliff mentioned and I love it, it is a pleasure to cast, but a faster rod would probably be better at first. IMO.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
No.... there's no answer to this
I started with a $3 cane rod and graduated to a $7 glass rod...
The equipment you use means nothing.....

How you use it is everything....
Of course there is an answer to this. He is just asking for an opinion from people that know more than him to help him make an educated decision. Answering with "spend more time on the water" or "it's how you use the equipment" isn't helping him make an educated purchase. I get what every body else is saying and I happen to agree, spending more time on the water, or taking casting classes will make you a better fisherman/caster no matter what rod you purchase. But that doesn't help this poor guy decide what rod to get. That is all I'm saying.

Sorry if this post is seeming retaliatory or negative, that is not my intent and you can see from past precedent that that is not my style. I just thought this poor guy deserved an answer to his question.

flyfisher45

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I'll be going to a local flyfishing shop next week to talk to them and sign up for flytying classes. I'll ask them their advice on rods and reels. I will also ask about casting lessons and I have tried to make contact with the local tu chapter and haven't heard back from them yet. Can't wait for spring when I can get out and practice.

FlyDog

Reaction score
Another rod worth mentioning is the Orvis Clearwater. Under $200 in a 4pc., less for 2pc. and comes with 25 yr. warrenty. It comes in 2 configurations with either a faster tip flex or a more moderate mid flex. Also comes with a very nice rod tube.
If you have a Orvis store near you I think it would be worth taking a look.
I also agree that a 9' 5wt. is the best place to start for all around trout fishing. If you get into fly fishing you will eventually end up with more rods in different lengths and wts. but the 9' 5 wt. is probably the most versitile.
As a second year fly fisher, I can't agree more that time on the water will help you through what can be a very frusterating learning curve much more than high dollar, high tech gear. Save that for when you are on the other side of mastering your basic skills and can appreciate and enjoy that high dollar rod.
:)

flyfisher45

Reaction score
Thank you, I was thinking either Orvis or St Croix. The 9' 5wt 4 piece is the way that I think I'll be going. That seems to be what more people are saying to go with.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I'll be going to a local flyfishing shop next week to talk to them and sign up for flytying classes. I'll ask them their advice on rods and reels. I will also ask about casting lessons and I have tried to make contact with the local tu chapter and haven't heard back from them yet. Can't wait for spring when I can get out and practice.
Hi Flyfisher45,

If you can do it, don't buy your rod until you have had a casting lesson or two. You will be better able to judge what rod works best for you. Usually anyone who gives lessons will have more than one rod that you can try. You also have to be careful with some dealers. If he tries to sell you the best rod and reel that he has in the store, you need to look for a new dealer. Most dealers are very good and they recognize that helping you will pay them back with a good customer. That is why a lot of dealers will give free casting lessons.

Frank

flyfisher45

Reaction score
Hi Flyfisher45,

If you can do it, don't buy your rod until you have had a casting lesson or two. You will be better able to judge what rod works best for you. Usually anyone who gives lessons will have more than one rod that you can try. You also have to be careful with some dealers. If he tries to sell you the best rod and reel that he has in the store, you need to look for a new dealer. Most dealers are very good and they recognize that helping you will pay them back with a good customer. That is why a lot of dealers will give free casting lessons.

Frank
signing up for a casting class that is being run in April. I will see if I can try a couple of rods before I buy.