Handy Pak Net - whom uses them

tcorfey

Reaction score
Came across a post in a different website regarding the "Handy Pak Net" company. Been around since 1955 and is US Made located in PA. Seems like a great option for summertime small waters, backpacking, minimalist guys etc.

The handle can be had in plastic or teak and the hoop is made of stainless sprung steel, the net materials are available in knotted or knotless nylon or ghost netting and they have a plastic or leather case. The case fits on your belt and the net is easily deployed.

I did see that PlanetTrout had one but, saw no one has debated their merits. Anybody have experience with them.

Website is: (several videos / pictures of the net in action)

Handy Pak Net Co. - Gallery

Would like to get some feedback from others on their thoughts.

Regards,

Tim C.

dennyk

Reaction score
No Tim I don't have any experience with these nets, but it does look like a handy concept. It's alot more compact then my Fishpond net which I carry attached to a breakaway magnet and retractor. That Handy Pack net would be the ticket for going through thick brush.

Denny

cpiercem

Reaction score
I have one that I use extensively for small streams, and I also have caught some fairly large fish with it.

It works well, but do not expect to pick up a large fish out of the water with it unless you use a hand on the rim. It can do it but the rim will sag several inches unless you support it. If you aren't expecting that, it can be disconcerting.

It doesn't bother me because I usually use it to corral the fish in the water rather than to lift it with the net out of the water.

What I like is that it is very light and compact. Once I get to the stream, I usually carry mine unfolded in a holder on my back belt. Basically like having it tucked in a handle holder upright. I do have it on a leash also since it sometimes gets pulled out in the brush. I have also used a magnet holder on my back.

You can see some pictures of it in use in my thread "Bits of the Summer of 2018" in the Coldwater fly fishing section.
Bits of the Summer of 2018

ryc72

Reaction score
i have one but havent used it in ages. super convenient and light. not the best net though. as previously mentioned because of the flexing nature of the basket rim when you want to put a fish in you it is easier to raise the fish above the rim and drag the fish into the basket instead of scooping up the fish from below which is what i prefer to do. and also because of the flexing nature, managing a larger fish with the net is not easy. great for smaller fish but for smaller fish im less likely to use a net in general. also, be aware that the popping open nature of the net can be very dangerous. it does pop open with a lot of force and you should definitely pull it away from you and not near anyone else. all of that being said, if you insist on having a net and dont want the bulk/weight, its a great way to go....it does the job asked of but at the end of the day its just not a great net. in fact, i was gonna give mine away to the phw and cfr drive.

cwb124

Reaction score
I am shocked. My father has used one since I was a kid fishing with him in the early 80s. I can't believe the company is still around and churning out products right up the road from me. They now have one with clear rubber netting so I think I'm going to pick one up. I've used his and it is ideal for fish 14" or smaller. Bigger fish you need a bigger solution this is super handy and I hate nothing more than having a net hanging around my arm/neck or so or worst case dragging in the water.

planettrout

Reaction score
I have actually had two of the Handy Pak Nets. I believe I purchased the first at Ken's Sporting Goods in Bridgeport, CA around 1978. It came with a leather case. The second was purchased at Culver's Sporting Goods in Bishop, CA, back in the mid 90's. It came with a plastic case. Like it has been stated above, the metal rim is flexible and will not support lifting a large, heavy fish out of the water. I ran into this problem several times on the East Walker River with large Browns and in one case, in 1985, with a very large Rainbow.

My son Michael liked the Handy Pak Net for wading the channels section of the Madison and on a particular side channel near Varney Bridge, on the Madison. This is him with the net extended in that location in 2001...

I still have both of them and would use them on smaller waters up here in Washington and Idaho.

PT/TB

driftless22

Reaction score
I have one somewhere, but haven't used it in quite a while. As others have said, the flexible rim can be a problem. On the other hand, the fact that the netting is secured in a holster is a big advantage if you're doing much bushwhacking - your net doesn't get snagged in the brush.

Reaction score
Another option if you don’t want to carry a net is the Ketchum release tool. I think they cost about $20 and work well. You never have to touch the fish or take it out of the water.