Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades

Default How to rig abrasion-proof leader/tippet for bass

My local bass hole has an abundance of "large" large mouth bass which like to hide out and ambush from the safety of underwater rock structure, but invariably they break off the tippet just below the joining knot to my 8# leader. (Two huge Lunkers were lost over the weekend from exactly that scenario. I seek suggestions of how to rig for a stronger tippet short of going big as in 20#mono bite leader used primarily in salt water rigging......... I think a large bite leader would overwhelm the hook eye in my #8 fly, so there has to be another answer.

I've heard of steel wire leader used in Pike rigs (Never stalked Pike, so I wouldn't know about that). I reminded myself of a package of 15# steel leader in my tackle box from age-old dreams of salt water adventure. If i use 2' of that as my tippet, i'm curious as to the negative influence on my cast presentation as well as the effects on how my fly will perform in the water. BTW, all of my action this past weekend was on a 3" Zonker tied on a #4 hook. I landed a half dozen largemouths in the 1-2# size, probably because i was able to quickly yank them up and over the coral cliff with the sharp edges.

As an afterthought, maybe 15# is overkill for my needs so perhaps I should look for something lighter? It's not the bulk weight i worry about, rather the sharp upper edge of this underwater ledge carved out of coral. As I say, the fish is breaking me off at about 2' above the fly, about 2-3 inches below my knot joining to the leader.

I'm hoping this plea for ideas will prove positive, and Deadly for those 6-10 pound Lunkers I'd love to capture in a trophy photo.

Thanks in advance.
    Mike in Boca Raton, Fl

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to rig abrasion-proof leader/tippet for bass

Fluorocarbon has held up for me. 15# will fit through size 8 hooks.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

If water clarity isn't an issue, create a a tapered leader using straight braid, then use straight braid as well for your tippet.

If water clarity is an issue, go with the 15# FC as another person has recommended.

Adding a "shock tippet" is a regular thing when fishing around rocks here in the north east salt water and a double uni knot will do the job.
    But that's primarily if you want to preserve your class tippet size for trophy status.
    If you don't care about such stuff, just use a heavier tippet or a leader of straight mono.
    Bass are not leader shy
    16 lb test is nothing and you could easily go to 20 lb if you want

I have a friend that fishes a straight leader of 30lb test regularly for striped bass and because fly line and his backing are also 30lb test, he purposely ties in into his leader an overhand knot as a weak point
    Last edited by Rip Tide; 04-15-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

I believe I was just beginning my 'career' as a hopeful tournament bass fisherman when Spiderwire came onto the market. I remember believing, as many of my competitors did, that bass would shy away from my lures because it wasn't translucent. Then I watched Bill Dance or Hank Parker or some famous person fishing with it on their tv show. I bought a spool the following day.

Turns out, bass aren't line shy at all. And superbraid is as limp or more so than any nylon, and much, much more abrasion-resistant. Before I left Mo for the West, I'd caught thousands of bass from 1-lb. up to 9.5-lbs. on superlines. I also had one of the very few 70+ fish days using flat-black Fireline on a gin clear lake in northern MO.

Flash forward to about 8 years ago: I full-time fly fisherman by that time, I went northern pike fishing on Long Lake here in northern AZ. Turns out pike don't care about opaque line either. And their teeth, known for slicing through nylon, don't cut superbraid very well either. In fact, not one of the more than two dozen pike I caught that weekend were lost, and all were caught using 20 lb. Spiderwire.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades

Lots of good responses here. Thanks to all.

No, I'm not in it for a trophy class tippet, so maybe the straight mono leader is a good starter. My biggest concern is that this is no standard rock that is breaking off my fish, rather it is a sharp edge on coral which has been chizzled out to form a retention lake. It takes no effort whatsoever for a heavy bass to rake a line over that razor sharp edge and the rest is history. So, I'm wondering if a 12 to 20# mono can absorb such a sharp edge. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks. I'll report back once i have a chance to give it a go (too much wind in the forecast the next couple days, so it may be near end of the week.)
    Cheers.
    Mike in Boca Raton, Fl

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Adding a "shock tippet" is a regular thing when fishing around rocks here in the north east salt water and a double uni knot will do the job.
    But that's primarily if you want to preserve your class tippet size for trophy status.
    If you don't care about such stuff, just use a heavier tippet or a leader of straight mono.
    Bass are not leader shy
    16 lb test is nothing and you could easily go to 20 lb if you want

I have a friend that fishes a straight leader of 30lb test regularly for striped bass and because fly line and his backing are also 30lb test, he purposely ties in into his leader an overhand knot as a weak point