Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default For Streamer Fishers.........

I am linking to the forum blog here; [ Fishing Streamers Deep ] I use my blog when I write something out in detail. The reason is simple, I like to know where such articles are for future reference. As I approach 18,000 posts here it can be hard to find something written 5 years ago so they go into the blog.

For all of our members who aspire to become better at catching with their streamers I have offered what works for me over the years. There are many other streamer entries within this blog but you need to page backward through time to find them. One of these days I'll sort them all out and make a post that supplies links to all of them. Taken as a whole they could be helpful for some I'd hope.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Thanks duker, ts47, chief17 thanked for this post
    Likes ejsell, ia_trouter, gc59, dennyk, rfb700 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: For Streamer Fishers.........

These things seldom draw any comments, is it that everyone already knows this or do I seem like a guy who is fullacrap? If it's choice #2 don't be afraid to say so because a good argument thread seems very popular here. Can't help but ask...........

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

That link takes me to the Christmas Island thread. But I'm on mobile and haven't figured out how to access the blogs from mobile yet so that may be why?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. Likes Narf liked this post

This is good stuff Ard, and you've obviously put a lot of thought and time on the water into it.

I've never fished for kings, so can't really comment on your technique, but a lot of what you say rings true for my salmon (coho) and steelhead fishing. Presenting and working your fly at the appropriate depth is critical, and as you've pointed out requires the right combination of tackle and technique. I'll have to give it a try later this fall when I'm in SE Alaska for the coho.

The only observation I have is that your method might require some adjustment fishing for steelhead and other fish that will rise to a fly rather than waiting for it to be dangled in front of them like kings and coho. When I'm fishing for steelhead in BC I usually err on the side of fishing higher, not deeper, as steelhead will move to the fly. However, with higher, dirtier water it's a different game, and that game is getting down to the right depth.

Thanks for this.

Scott

I found it a most excellent read. It certainly is thought provoking. I'll give it a whirl the next time I can get out.

Ray

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ejsell View Post
    That link takes me to the Christmas Island thread. But I'm on mobile and haven't figured out how to access the blogs from mobile yet so that may be why?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Hi Jeff,

It appears to be a good link straight to the post so it's your connection.

9. Likes ejsell liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duker View Post
    This is good stuff Ard, and you've obviously put a lot of thought and time on the water into it.

I've never fished for kings, so can't really comment on your technique, but a lot of what you say rings true for my salmon (coho) and steelhead fishing. Presenting and working your fly at the appropriate depth is critical, and as you've pointed out requires the right combination of tackle and technique. I'll have to give it a try later this fall when I'm in SE Alaska for the coho.

The only observation I have is that your method might require some adjustment fishing for steelhead and other fish that will rise to a fly rather than waiting for it to be dangled in front of them like kings and coho. When I'm fishing for steelhead in BC I usually err on the side of fishing higher, not deeper, as steelhead will move to the fly. However, with higher, dirtier water it's a different game, and that game is getting down to the right depth.

Thanks for this.

Scott
    My advice on trying a new technique Scott is always the same, work out the bugs and determine if you have confidence well before you take a trip to some far away fishery. I'm happy to hear that it made sense to you

Quote Originally Posted by longbow_ray View Post
    I found it a most excellent read. It certainly is thought provoking. I'll give it a whirl the next time I can get out.

Ray
    Good to hear from you on this Ray,

I know you are into experimentation so I also know you are thinking on this method. it is reserved for those really deep spots, I don't do it except when I see it as the only way to get down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    These things seldom draw any comments, is it that everyone already knows this or do I seem like a guy who is fullacrap? If it's choice #2 don't be afraid to say so because a good argument thread seems very popular here. Can't help but ask...........
    I'm not confused. I'll try to help you with this. First of all nobody here thinks you are full of ****. Occasionally grouchy and set in your ways? Yeah maybe, but you do it because you truly want us to catch more salmon and other stuff lol. You've shown us the fruits of your labor because you are also a good photographer A heavy dose of my opinion follows. Yes, that statement implies what I said so far is fact because I know it is.

True or not, it is perceived as a spey technique because that is mostly what you have shared the past 5+ years. The two hand crowd is pretty small here. Just how it is. Many of us here have given the method a shot. As you are aware I have used it for three AK trips. The first time I refused to use a two hander and brought my 8WT. I regret that now of course. That was the ugliest casting I have seen before or since. It was also the most successful week of my entire fly fishing life. Damn did I catch a lot of nice fish! The casting was sooo much nicer the second trip on a 7-8WT 13ft spey rod. I played with it a lot after those trips on a variety of rods and water.

To the point, my opinion is you better scale this method to the rod or you will likely give up quick. Ard has used this on rods as light as a 5WT. That's great, but my casting skills pale in comparison to his 20 years ago. I don't have any leaders light enough to even enjoy on a 7WT. I wouldn't even know how heavy it should be to not be a monumental task. Guess I'll order some to experiment. I got your address Ard.

Well I tried to start an argument anyway. If I fell short let me know and I'll step up my game. All tongue in cheek of course.

12. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hi Dewayne,

To scale down for 9 foot single hand and shorter it becomes a question of how do people get down? Do they use traditional sink tip lines or loop to loop sink tips. The method of the measured upstream cast in order to produce the deepest drift at the terminus of the drift works no matter what rod or line you use.

I do it with my mini heads and have put quite a few people in the right place so that their end of drift downstream brought some fish while they used 15 foot sink tips on Skagit heads. The writing was done because a guy ask about how to get deeper via PM from Spey Pages. Of course I answered him but never heard back. Since I had the basis of a decent detailed piece I did some editing and put a copy here

That's all that happened.....

Around here some very short and light sinking leaders would have a real purpose. The heavy ones are unusable. I am certain your PA creeks were at least as fast as a small IA rivers is most of the year. If I had to do over I would have asked you to build some worthlessly light leaders for your water to try in the Midwest on smaller single hand rods. As I have shared before I use your fat leaders on still water with huge bouyant flies for pike, bass, and musky. It's a stripping operation I don't love but it sure works. Those flies are hard to get much more than a foot deep with the often required aggressive strip. I don't like a full sinking line because you move to a different depth on the lake, it's now wrong and it's too much trouble to switch reels and lines. I know you never developed this for still or very slow water. I get it this is a salmon and big trout tactic in AK. but it has some utility for sure. Switching up leaders is pretty handy when the situation changes here. If the big fish are shallower or deeper I have to adjust. That requires a leader weight change.

Wish I could always fish them on fast water with big fish, but that is a vacation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast