Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Waterproofing yarn indicators?

im planning to pretreat some yarn indicators. Is there something special you recommend using or will most any floatant work?
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

Default Re: Waterproofing yarn indicators?

The yarn itself matters- Google Pat Dorsey Indicator and watch a video. The stuff you want is 6 strand Bonnie Braid macrame yarn, then you treat it with any dry fly floatant like Gink and brush it in with velcro wound around a dowel. Floats really well. You can buy the ortho rubber bands on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Default Re: Waterproofing yarn indicators?

Abolene and lighter fluid
    Works great with yarn,
    I think a bit better than over the counter floatant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks ts47 thanked for this post

Macrame cord is Herculon polypropylene. "The first commercial producer of an olefin fiber in the United States was Hercules"

Olefin fiber - Wikipedia

There are two brands I prefer. One is the Bonnie Braid brand which ONLY comes in the braided form.

The other brand is MaxiCord which comes in both braided and twisted. In the braided Maxicord, there are 8 individual yarns braided together. When you unbraid them, they more curly than the twisted cord.

The twisted Maxicord is composed of 3 individual segments and the twisted yarn is also thicker. Note the brand name of "Herculon" on this older packaging.

Osseous is correct. If you want to make the smaller Pat Dorsey indicator, the braided cord segments are thinner and that is what you want. you can use the Bonnie Braid (I think Walmart might carry it) or you can use the maxicord. The Dorsey indicators are like the New Zealand indicators. See the video below.

If you want larger indicators I would buy the twisted MaxiCord. The individual yarm is the thicker for the thicker indicators. Note that the video below uses the twisted macrame cord material. The next video is how to make an "O" ring indicator.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

6. Thanks ts47 thanked for this post

If you watch the Dorsey video above- you can forget about the premade part at the beginning- just carry a bunch of pre-cut sections of yarn and pass them thru the loop in the leader above the ortho rubber band. Brush them out and apply floatant. You can make them as large as you need- just select the right number of fibers from the separated Bonnie Braid. You can leave them woven to save space- then pluck them apart as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    The yarn itself matters- Google Pat Dorsey Indicator and watch a video. The stuff you want is 6 strand Bonnie Braid macrame yarn, then you treat it with any dry fly floatant like Gink and brush it in with velcro wound around a dowel. Floats really well. You can buy the ortho rubber bands on Amazon.

What if I already own some of the Orvis premade yarn indicators?
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
    What if I already own some of the Orvis premade yarn indicators?
    Try the albolene and lighter fluid mentioned above- I've been using something similar on dry flies for about 30 years

Quote Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
    im planning to pretreat some yarn indicators. Is there something special you recommend using or will most any floatant work?
    Most any floatant will work fine. I still have and use the same premade yarn indi I bought 20 years ago. Over the years I've smeared with whatever kind of floatant I was using at the time and it still floats just fine.

11. Thanks ts47 thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    Try the albolene and lighter fluid mentioned above- I've been using something similar on dry flies for about 30 years
    Ray Bergman published a formula for a DIY floatant using White Gas = Naptha (Coleman Camping Fuel) and Paraffin.

Drlogic has a pdf of Bergman's book:

http://www.drlogik.com/scans/bergman_formula.pdf

The instructions are here. They will work using lighter fluid as well.

DIY Fly Floatant | Stalking The Seam
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

13. Thanks ts47 thanked for this post

I've always used regular fly floatant, but the last batch that I made didn't require any floatant at all
    Just dollar store sheet foam and O-rings

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

15. Thanks ts47 thanked for this post
    Likes jeepster II liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast