Foam tape as indicator material?

ts47

Reaction score
I was watching a Davy Wotton video called Midge Magic I think. He pulled out a roll of some kind of foam tape that he folded over his leader, trimmed to fit and used as a strike indicator. Does anyone know what that was and if it can be purchased somewhere?

osseous

Reaction score
Yeah- I use the same stuff. Its put out by Umpqua and called Roll On. Get the orange stuff- it shows up a lot better than the chartreuse. I also take a straight edge and slice some smaller segments into the sheet- then use two pieces about 8" apart. The difference really shows strikes better than using a single.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JoJer

Reaction score
Yeah- I use the same stuff. Its put out by Umpqua and called Roll On. Get the orange stuff- it shows up a lot better than the chartreuse. I also take a straight edge and slice some smaller segments into the sheet- then use two pieces about 8" apart. The difference really shows strikes better than using a single.

Does it stay put pretty good?

ts47

Reaction score

I’m betting you’re right, except that Davy had a roll of the stuff. Is there a craft store or office supply version that would be more cost effective? What I saw when I Googled the Umpqua stuff looked like a small sheet for $7.

osseous

Reaction score
Does it stay put pretty good?
Yeah- as long as you fold it. I have never had luck trying g to roll it onto the leader. The color wears off after a while.

I have no idea about a roll of this stuff- the color is essentially paint, so he must have had something slightly different. I cut a small square from the sheet- slice it so I have a variety of sizes to pick from- and carry it in a little tupperware fly cup, with an assortment of other......"floats".

By the way- this is really handy for fishing midge dries- not just nymphs. A 1/4" square 1' from your fly is a beautiful thing~

ts47

Reaction score
I don't use the tape when I want to use an indicator. Maybe this would serve you as an alternative and it's reusable. I have not had any problems with it slipping and is easy to see.

Biostrike | Loon Outdoors

Denny
Hi Denny,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am familiar with Biostrike and have used it before. I just liked the look of the roll of stuff in the Davy Wotton video I saw and was hoping to find out what it was.

ts47

Reaction score
This is the Umpqua Roll On Tape. It is made by Tiemco:

Umpqua Strike Detectors | Foam Roll On Indicators | Fly Fishing - MRFC

There are also these Palsa pinch on indicators which have been available for decades, made from foam:

Palsa Indicators | Pacific Fly Fishers

PT/TB
Thanks PT,

This is the same stuff osseous posted. What I saw on the video looked like a "roll of foam tape". I just liked the way the "roll of tape" looked both in terms of quantity, size and how easy it was to attach as much as you want. I assumed it would be cheaper too thinking it would be available outside the fly fishing industry.

After doing some Googling, I haven't found any that was only sticky on one side. When I searched foam tape I found links to double sided foam tapes (sticky on both sides) that looked like it could be the right closed cell type of material. When I searched single sided foam tape I found the kind of stuff you would stick in a door jamb.

I was just wondering if someone here knew what that "roll of foam tape" was.

rodneyshishido

Reaction score
I have used the foam adhesive indicators. They are not my favorite as I adjust the depth quite often and find they leave adhesive residue on the leader.

osseous

Reaction score
I have used the foam adhesive indicators. They are not my favorite as I adjust the depth quite often and find they leave adhesive residue on the leader.
I don't use them as conventional indicators- I use them on tippet or the light end of a leader- with unweighted flies, where nailing the depth isn't really necessary. You can put them pretty high, then throw up and across in riffle water-

r reese

Reaction score
I have used closed cell foam door insulation. works great. just cut the length you need. Roll a small bit up and put in your vest.

philip43

Reaction score
When I first started reading this thread I was thinking that this isn't anything new. When planettrout said that it is like the Palsa foam floats. Okay, that's what they are! Adios Philip

osseous

Reaction score
A trout snob from Iowa? Now I've seen it all

acorad

Reaction score
I used this type of foam tape a couple years ago, when I was nymph fishing with a guide. iirc, we used it while "Euro nymphing," ie, actively pulling the nymphs downstream along the river bottom.

As I remember, it worked very well to be able to see the angle of the leader with the water surface so as to keep sag out of the leader, iow to help keep direct contact with the nymphs, and I also especially liked how it stopped the weight of the fly line from pulling the fly line down into the rod guides and thereby pulling the leader into the rod guides along with it.

Andy

osseous

Reaction score
Will I need oxygen? My livingroom here in Colorado is only 8300'