Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Foam tape as indicator material?

I was watching a Davy Wotton video called Midge Magic I think. He pulled out a roll of some kind of foam tape that he folded over his leader, trimmed to fit and used as a strike indicator. Does anyone know what that was and if it can be purchased somewhere?
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

Default Re: Foam tape as indicator material?

Yeah- I use the same stuff. Its put out by Umpqua and called Roll On. Get the orange stuff- it shows up a lot better than the chartreuse. I also take a straight edge and slice some smaller segments into the sheet- then use two pieces about 8" apart. The difference really shows strikes better than using a single.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Likes Chill liked this post
  4. Default Re: Foam tape as indicator material?

What is an.......in-di-ca-tor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyhunter007 View Post
    What is an.......in-di-ca-tor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Another name for bob-ber... or “strike in-di-ca-tor” if you want the long version.
    Last edited by ts47; 04-15-2019 at 11:42 PM.
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

6. Likes leftytyro liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    Yeah- I use the same stuff. Its put out by Umpqua and called Roll On. Get the orange stuff- it shows up a lot better than the chartreuse. I also take a straight edge and slice some smaller segments into the sheet- then use two pieces about 8" apart. The difference really shows strikes better than using a single.

Does it stay put pretty good?

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post

I’m betting you’re right, except that Davy had a roll of the stuff. Is there a craft store or office supply version that would be more cost effective? What I saw when I Googled the Umpqua stuff looked like a small sheet for $7.
    Todd

~ Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
    Does it stay put pretty good?
    Yeah- as long as you fold it. I have never had luck trying g to roll it onto the leader. The color wears off after a while.

I have no idea about a roll of this stuff- the color is essentially paint, so he must have had something slightly different. I cut a small square from the sheet- slice it so I have a variety of sizes to pick from- and carry it in a little tupperware fly cup, with an assortment of other......"floats".Foam tape as indicator material?

By the way- this is really handy for fishing midge dries- not just nymphs. A 1/4" square 1' from your fly is a beautiful thing~

10. Thanks ts47 thanked for this post
    Likes el jefe liked this post
    Blog Entries

I don't use the tape when I want to use an indicator. Maybe this would serve you as an alternative and it's reusable. I have not had any problems with it slipping and is easy to see.

Biostrike | Loon Outdoors

Denny

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    I don't use the tape when I want to use an indicator. Maybe this would serve you as an alternative and it's reusable. I have not had any problems with it slipping and is easy to see.

Biostrike | Loon Outdoors

Denny
    Hi Denny,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am familiar with Biostrike and have used it before. I just liked the look of the roll of stuff in the Davy Wotton video I saw and was hoping to find out what it was.
    Todd

~ Doug Larson

13. Likes dennyk liked this post

This is the Umpqua Roll On Tape. It is made by Tiemco:

Umpqua Strike Detectors | Foam Roll On Indicators | Fly Fishing - MRFC

There are also these Palsa pinch on indicators which have been available for decades, made from foam:

Palsa Indicators | Pacific Fly Fishers

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

15. Thanks ts47 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast