Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default switch spey line reccomendations

I just purchased a 7wt. z-axis swicht rod and a 9 wt. bauer reel, any recommendations on a good spey line system? Any tips/suggestions greatly appreciated

Blog Entries

Default Re: switch spey line reccomendations

Do you want to cast Skagit or Scandi style?

I was thinking skagit.

Blog Entries

Rio Skagit Short 425 grains. You can throw the 375, but it feels light. It could be difficult to throw bulkier flies.

It has been awhile since I have casted this rod, but if I recall correctly, it can throw 10 feet of T-11 with the 425 grain Skagit Short head.

MP

Thanks MP...Good fishing

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Forgot about this thread. Lots of 'commercial lines' out there but (for the same/less money) you want 'just your line' Google SGS (Steve Gotshall Specials) lines. You can find out much more by going to R B Meiser Rods web site.

Thing about these lines is they're built specifically for 'your rod' and casting style. Lines usually run right at 2.5 times the rod length and the number of 'grains' in the head will be 'tuned' to your casting style. Mine as an example, is a fairly quick lift, slow through the formation of the cast/D-Loop and then 'peddle to the metal' on the forward cast.

So the lines (for my three new 2-handers) have all been on the light side of a rods specific 'grain range.' Silly as it seems, this forces me to slooooooow down on the forward cast to let the rod/line do what they were designed for. "A good thing" I think.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

7. Default Re: switch spey line reccomendations

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Forgot about this thread. Lots of 'commercial lines' out there but (for the same/less money) you want 'just your line' Google SGS (Steve Gotshall Specials) lines. You can find out much more by going to R B Meiser Rods web site.

Thing about these lines is they're built specifically for 'your rod' and casting style. Lines usually run right at 2.5 times the rod length and the number of 'grains' in the head will be 'tuned' to your casting style. Mine as an example, is a fairly quick lift, slow through the formation of the cast/D-Loop and then 'peddle to the metal' on the forward cast.

So the lines (for my three new 2-handers) have all been on the light side of a rods specific 'grain range.' Silly as it seems, this forces me to slooooooow down on the forward cast to let the rod/line do what they were designed for. "A good thing" I think.

How much does a SGS line cost? A rio powerspey is about $80, and I think it is a great line. I bet I would like a SGS line better, tho

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Forgot, take a look at the Royal Wullff new line put out by Garry Sandstrom, foget the name of it.

8. Default Re: switch spey line reccomendations

We have had good luck with the Airflow Delta Spey lines

Where are you fishing? How big of flies to you like to use and are you fishing fast flows and deep stuff or moderate to low flows? If your fishing heavy water and dead chickens go with a Skagit compact and some of the new MOW tips, if you like smaller profile flies and not so heavy water like here in Ohio then Scandi compact you can still jack a pretty big fly out there and with the poly leaders you can get deep enough. I fish both but have reserved the skagit for the spring runoff.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave