Weekend dinner date or fishing trip???????

kevind62

Reaction score
Spousal unit just sent me a picture of a slice of pizza from Anthony's Pizza in Denver. Figured when I get home from this ghetto we'll fly out for the weekend and get some. Figured while we're "in the vicinity" may as well go fishing. You know, give us something to do while our food digests. Pizza and fish. It's kind of like pizza and beer, only different. :D

IMG_7792.jpg
IMG_2309.jpg

cooutlaw

Reaction score
It's decent pizza....truly....eat there fairly often......but it's not THAT good. :D

PS: They do have carryout too:).

kevind62

Reaction score
Actually, should have been more specific. The one in Golden and the one in Longmont are fantastic. The one in West Denver isn't. There's an art to this style of pizza and "more is better" DOES NOT APPLY to this. The one we ate at in West Denver put too much cheese and made the pizza soggy (more like gooey) in the middle. Like the middle two thirds of the pizza literally. Sent a review note to the franchise to let them know. Not sure if they corrected it or not. Haven't eaten at that one since. Good thing we didn't eat there for our first experience. Probably would never have tried any of the others and never eaten it again. I've eaten NY style pizza in the plains (Chicago area) and up the east coast and this was the best I've had. Not that the others weren't good. Just this one was better. But, everyone has different taste buds. ;) I will say that the restaurant itself in Golden is slipping. Staff is not very good. They kind of act like the customer is a burden and the talk between the staff was pretty loose. Pizza still is, for now. Or at least the last time we were there last fall. The staff in Longmont was much better. Didn't mean to give a Yelp review. :D Just responding.

It's decent pizza....truly....eat there fairly often......but it's not THAT good. :D

PS: They do have carryout too:).

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Actually, should have been more specific. The one in Golden and the one in Longmont are fantastic. The one in West Denver isn't. There's an art to this style of pizza and "more is better" DOES NOT APPLY to this. The one we ate at in West Denver put too much cheese and made the pizza soggy (more like gooey) in the middle. Like the middle two thirds of the pizza literally. Sent a review note to the franchise to let them know. Not sure if they corrected it or not. Haven't eaten at that one since. Good thing we didn't eat there for our first experience. Probably would never have tried any of the others and never eaten it again. I've eaten NY style pizza in the plains (Chicago area) and up the east coast and this was the best I've had. Not that the others weren't good. Just this one was better. But, everyone has different taste buds. ;) I will say that the restaurant itself in Golden is slipping. Staff is not very good. They kind of act like the customer is a burden and the talk between the staff was pretty loose. Pizza still is, for now. Or at least the last time we were there last fall. The staff in Longmont was much better. Didn't mean to give a Yelp review. :D Just responding.
I was actually just joking that even good pizza wouldn't compare to good fishing, but you could take out to the river. Like you, we have chased NY style great pizza from the East to the West, that and craft beer have been part of our travel pursuits.

If you didn't already know- there are 23 Anthony's locations in the Denver Metro Area from Castle Rock to Longmont....We have found some to be consistent and others hit and miss of the half dozen we've tried, and yes, we have seen the gooey slapped together builds on occasion. I've never been to the Golden, West Denver, or Longmont stores. The southern metro area stores have proven to be pretty solid over time.

Locations

If you want to expand your search there are a few other options too;

This one is a hole in the wall and pretty much exclusively carryout but also pretty solid and similar to Anthony's product wise-
Parker, CO - Tonti's Pizza

For West Denver- you might give this Denver legend a try:
Ernie's Bar & Pizza | Denver's Best New York-Style Pizza

and central area has this one:
Welcome To Pasquini's Pizzeria ~ Pasquini's Pizzeria DenverPasquini's Pizzeria Denver | Fresh American Italian food

Ok, pause for pizza identification over, back to your regularly scheduled fishing programming........

jzim

Reaction score
Hope you have a good time.

Pizza is too thin for my taste.

kevind62

Reaction score
Man, didn't mean to turn this in to a restaurant review post. :D yeah, we know there all over the Denver area but thanks. We normally fly in to DEN and either drive through Golden on the way to CO Springs, or north through Fort Collins on the way to WY so those are sort of "on the way". We wanted to try some of the others so we stopped and the one in West Denver that one time. Mistake. Kind of deterred us from stepping out in trying another one. Pizza looked good and staff was nice but when you picked it up to eat it, it was a disaster. They just need some training and better cooking management there. I know all pizza places have set amounts of ingredients to put on for cost purposes. Just about all have some sort of measuring cup. Some have chef's that can grab a handful at just the right amount and slap it on with success. It was mostly young kids operating this one so probably thought they were doing us a favor. I actually love extra cheese, but like I said, can't do it on this kind of pizza. The normal amount is more than sufficient anyway. And they cover it with peperoni too.

Anyway, thanks for the other hits. We'll have to try one of them. The wife is strictly pizza. I like to try the pastas some times and the lasagna if they have it once in a while. I'll usually get the pizza and eat there then order the pasta or lasagna for a take out and eat it the next day. May go to Anthony's for the wife to get her pizza and I'll be the guinea pig for the other spots on your list. :D

We'll definitely be getting a take out and taking it to the river with us. Trying to decide on cabin or renting a camper. All the pickups we rent from Avis now are all 4 wheel drive crew cab and have tow hitches on them. Trying to decide on whether to go north or south when we get there. If we go south we'll likely rent the camper. If north probably the cabin.

I was actually just joking that even good pizza wouldn't compare to good fishing, but you could take out to the river. Like you, we have chased NY style great pizza from the East to the West, that and craft beer have been part of our travel pursuits.

If you didn't already know- there are 23 Anthony's locations in the Denver Metro Area from Castle Rock to Longmont....We have found some to be consistent and others hit and miss of the half dozen we've tried, and yes, we have seen the gooey slapped together builds on occasion. I've never been to the Golden, West Denver, or Longmont stores. The southern metro area stores have proven to be pretty solid over time.

Locations

If you want to expand your search there are a few other options too;

This one is a hole in the wall and pretty much exclusively carryout but also pretty solid and similar to Anthony's product wise-
Parker, CO - Tonti's Pizza

For West Denver- you might give this Denver legend a try:
Ernie's Bar & Pizza | Denver's Best New York-Style Pizza

and central area has this one:
Welcome To Pasquini's Pizzeria ~ Pasquini's Pizzeria DenverPasquini's Pizzeria Denver | Fresh American Italian food

Ok, pause for pizza identification over, back to your regularly scheduled fishing programming........

kevind62

Reaction score
Good fishing? The only bad fishing trip I've ever had was the one I didn't go on. :D Thanks for the hits! Wife is a picky eater so we might hit Anthony's for her then I'll be the guinea pig for the others. :D

I was actually just joking that even good pizza wouldn't compare to good fishing, but you could take out to the river. Ok, pause for pizza identification over, back to your regularly scheduled fishing programming........

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I live outside of Longmont and I have never tried Anthony's Pizza. Never seen an Anthony's Pizza. Where is Anthony's Pizza? Dang it, now I want pizza.

kevind62

Reaction score
Anthony's Pizza & Pasta - Pizza restaurant
2321 Clover Basin Dr
Longmont, CO 80503
(303) 485-5555

anthony's.jpg

I think there was a commercial in the 70's that said, "Try it, you'll like it!" :D
Man I'm getting old.

I live outside of Longmont and I have never tried Anthony's Pizza. Never seen an Anthony's Pizza. Where is Anthony's Pizza? Dang it, now I want pizza.

Nix

Reaction score
I had Anthony's in Golden last Fall. I thought it was pretty good. I'd go back.....especially if fishing was going to happen before or after!

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Anthony's Pizza & Pasta - Pizza restaurant
2321 Clover Basin Dr
Longmont, CO 80503
(303) 485-5555

View attachment 16370

I think there was a commercial in the 70's that said, "Try it, you'll like it!" :D
Man I'm getting old.
Oh, yes. We have been in that part of town many times at Red Robin and Texas Road House and Buffalo Wild Wings. I just never noticed the pizza place there. I drive by there every day to work. Now I know where it's at. I remember when everything in that photo was just a field. Now look at it.....sigh, :(.