Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default fly fishing a crankbait?

I had an older gent tell me he uses the small floating rapalas with his fly pole. That was about 3 months ago and never gave it a thought again. I bought jan/feb 09 issue of American Angler and there is a ad for the
    "The P.R.E. Fly Fishing Tournament" and garden Valley, Idaho. the thing that caught my eye in the ad was the lower right photo of a brown. in his mouth is a looks to be 3 to 3.5 inch rapala hanging from his mouth and if you look close enough there is a gold snap swivel hanging from the lure. It is page 5.

Just wondering if many people do this? I think that if I wanted to fish small cranks I would get out my 4' ultra ultra light.

2. Default Re: fly fishing a crankbait?

A crankbait on a fly ROD ain't flyfishing in my opinion.....but that's just one opinion.
    The head, the tail, the whole damn thing

Default Re: fly fishing a crankbait?

It's like cheating at solitaire.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

A 3" pink Power Worm has been a "Secret weapon" too..
    An old chum of mine used to drift a real Minnow with his flyrod for Browns.
    Whatever works or is Legal is par for the course these days.
    Garden Hackle as well.
    -Fish 'til ya Drop!-

5. Default Re: fly fishing a crankbait?

ya know....it really doesnt seem like fly fishing to me either......but, if you fished it that way with good success, its about catching fish....

You should probably smash the barb down, cause youll disfigure some trout with 3 barbed treble hooks

Blog Entries

KRD,

You know, if a guy told me that, I'd tell him that I once saw a person tape an M-80 (I think that's about 1/8 stick of dynamite) to a rock and throw it into a creek. It killed a Sucker.

Had he tied the M-80 to the end of a fly line & leader would he be fly fishing for that sucker?

I try not to be rude but when someone tells me about whatever they do with their "Fly pole" I'm thinking that they are ignorant regardless of their age and I try to get away from them.

I know, that's so cold and harsh, perhaps I need counseling.

It is not harsh, like I said I was nice and listened to him, but it went in one ear and out another. Then I see this ad for a fly fishing tournament. Just made me think of the old man.

8. Default Re: fly fishing a crankbait?

I catch pleanty of trout on a rapala, on my spinning rod, if I am useing my fly rod it's feathers, fur, and stuff like that on a hook. If thats how he wants to fish and isnt hurting the resource then so be it, but it aint fly fishing.
    Bear

9. Default Re: fly fishing a crankbait?

YUP dito

How about dudes drifting Jensen Eggs for salmon/steelhead?
    -Fish 'til ya Drop!-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast