Planning a fishing trip

Stan Wright

Reaction score
I got to thinking about my last few fishing trips. My wife set up a tour someplace and I get on the computer to see if there is any fishing available where we're going. I've been lucky most of the time. But the chances are that we won't be visiting a place during the "Prime Fishing Time".

Take here in Hawaii for instance. No one plans a fishing trip to Hawaii to fish for peacock bass. Our best fishing is during summer and fall. Although we have had great catches in all months of the year. Recent rains and cold weather in Dec. and early Jan. has made for some very slow fishing. But.... if the only time you can go is now... you go and hope for the best.

If you're planning a fishing vacation.... you can do your research and go during the prime fishing season. Alaska fishing lodges have little charts showing the best time for the species of fish your after. You can also contact a lodge and tell them the kind of fishing you would like to try and ask for their recommendation. Ask questions of people who have been there.

Most fly shops organize guided trips to popular fishing destinations. When you Mainland guys are hip deep in snow, we see a lot of anglers passing through Honolulu on their way to the warm tropical bonefish flats of Christmas Island.

I'll still take my chances and try fishing when and where I can while on one of my wife's vacation tours.... But given half a chance I get on my computer, do my homework, and plan that fishing trip of a lifetime so the odds of good weather and catching fish are in my favor.

Aloha,
Stan