Streamer Eyes

Do you put eyes on your Streamer Flies ?

• Total voters

FISHN50

Reaction score
Subject for discussion
How does everyone feel about putting eyes on streamers & if you put them on , what's your favorite way of doing it. Do you paint them on . use doll eyes, stick ons , & do you epoxy over them.. Post pictures.

rowdy

Reaction score
Bead-chain eyes is what I use. Just tie it on with thread, then whip-finish knot & brush on some clear Fingernail polish.
The same chain that holds the plug for the bath tub.

arfishinbear

Reaction score
I love eyes on streamers. I use alot of diffrent metheds, I paint them on use stick on eyes, with both I put softex over them helps them stay on a little longer. I use bead-chain eyes for a light weight and for heavier weight I use dumbell eys . I think it gives a litle life to the fly. Here is a small version of a hybrid striper fly I ty. My son was trout fishing the other day and couldnt get mnay takes so he tied on one of the hybrid flies and the trout were smashing it, but being so big he couldnt get mnay hook sets, anyway I made some smaller ones to trout fish with. The eyes are a little big on these becuase thats all I had and none of the local fly shops carry them. I still like it though. These are stick on and softex over them about 3-4 coats
Bear

Attachments

BlueDun

Reaction score
I use bead chain or dumbbell weights for eyes. The only exception is when I tie Thundercreek streamers. Then, I paint them on and put acrylic over them. I am still trying to figure out how to take a decent photo of a fly (problem getting decent lighting without shadows). Otherwise, I would post some photos.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I don't always put on eyes, but I do often enough so that I said yes
I use paint...much of the time anyways
Fabric paint that is.... straight out of the applicator bottle. I use fluorescent chartreuse, red, and the silver glitter colors the most.
When the paint dries I make a dot for the pupal with black fingernail polish, using the brush applicator
It's all very simple....so there's little excuse not to do it.

BigCliff

Reaction score
For years I've sang the praises of Wapsi's Hourglass Brass eyes as a lead dumbell alternative thats tougher, safer, shinier, easier to tie in, etc. Well, I've learned that they've been discontinued. Like, already out of production, so if you're also a fan, you better buy up all you can. If anybody knows of a replacement, please let us all know.