Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Drop Shot Nymphing, Part II

Glad to hear you did well...

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac, Salmon River, NY and soon Sandy River, Oregon

Well, if nothing else this exchange shows this newbie that I am just beginning to learn this stuff, lol. It's a good thing that I find this all fascinating and fun. Now on stoneflies around here the only thing that I can add is that about mid-April we found a stonefly husk attached to the trunk of a tree next to the stream.I have no idea what route it took to travel there.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Quote Originally Posted by City Rat View Post
    Well, if nothing else this exchange shows this newbie that I am just beginning to learn this stuff, lol. It's a good thing that I find this all fascinating and fun. Now on stoneflies around here the only thing that I can add is that about mid-April we found a stonefly husk attached to the trunk of a tree next to the stream.I have no idea what route it took to travel there.
    That is the life cycle of the Stonefly- the nymphs emerge by climbing from the river, onto rocks and streamside vegetation, where they split their nymphal skin and transform into adults. My observation was an outlier- big time. Shocked the hell outa me, actually.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

In case anyone is reading the drop shot thing in CA. it's not legal. I'm pleased to say......

Jim

Bigfly

The CA regs say it's illegal to attach weight "directy" below a hook. If your fly is on a dropper above the weight I think you're legal because there is nothing atached directly below your fly. If you attach your fly "inline" with weight below it (how I like to do it where legal) then it's illegal in CA.

Blog Entries

Correct. If not tied below the fly, it's not drop shotting. Not sure what you call the end around the law, but I don't think it's fly fishing either.
    A guy could just learn to fish. Ha! Honestly I think it's not far from flossing.

Jim

Bigfly

It amazes me when people get worked up over things like this- given all there is to be concerned over with the state of the resource in general- and that April Vokey once had blonde hair

8. Thanks roadkill1948 thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Speaking of resources....We have a cool little creek that gets a lot of attention. The main stem is apparently too hard to fish, so many pressure the fish hard.
    IF... you can fish, they will eat dries, nymphs and streamers. Seems that touching as many fish as possible is the point, regardless of style. Yesterday, there were three guys standing next to each other and strafing fish on the reds with drop shot. THAT is why some us get a bit wound up about what is basically a cheap shot. I say learn to fish and you won't have lower the bar to satisfy your fish itch.

Jim

Bigfly

"On the redds" would seem to be where things went sideways- not the rig that was employed? You're blaming the arrow instead of the indian.

11. Thanks roadkill1948 thanked for this post
    Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac, Salmon River, NY and soon Sandy River, Oregon

Hmm, I'm 100% for tracking the regs, if it's a legal fly fishing technique then execute it correctly, if not then use another tactic. I get uncomfortable when folks start adding a personal qualitative overlay, i.e. what is or isn't "real" flyfishing, to what was by design a very nuts and bolts, technical information exchange. I guess the thing that concerns me is by making statements like that, it kind of presumes that there is some sort of High Council of Fly Fishingdom, lol, that dictates whatis or isn't part of the sport. Every outdoor activity struggles with this, hunting with a rifle, not really hunting if the rifle is scoped, hunting with a bow, not really hunting, if you use a range finder or your arrows have lighted nocks and on and on. Isn't that the ultimate benefit of this site, a place where exactly this type of technical how to information can be imparted, explained, clarified? I have no quarrel with the expression of personal, qualitative opinion just it might do to be mindful of the question posed. Again everyone's input has been fantastic and is much appreciated. I learn something new every time I post here. Sorry for jumping on the soap box. Jumping down now.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

13. Likes roadkill1948, canehunter liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast