Ice on the guides, can they be kept clean ?

tie one on

Reaction score
Good day all,

I took the day off from work after several weeks of massive output on a project & I headed for one of my favorite trout/steelhead rivers in western Michigan, the Rouge. It was snowing most of the morning with an air temp of around 29 degrees & the water was around 37 degrees. One thing that quickly became apparent was that the ice build-up on the guides needed to be cleaned off about every 15 minutes or so. I am somewhat used to this living & fishing in Michigan, but thought I might ask if anyone has any solution that may help to lessen cleaning so often ? ( I know the obvious answer is to move someplace warmer, but that will not be happening. Michigan steelhead are absolutely awesome. ) Is there something that can be put on the guides ?
Oh, I did catch two nice browns while out today. The second one was hooked while cleaning off the ice out of the guides. I felt a tug on the line, set the hook with my hand & pulled him in with just the line. Quite fun. Seriously I am asking if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks & have a Merry CHRISTmas,

Tie One On

BigCliff

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I had the same problem last saturday morning, although by 9 it was warm enough to no longer be a problem. I used to work with a guy who grew up fishing in Michigan and remember hearing something about having a can of PAM cooking spray to sray on the guides to prevent that. This might be as ideal as rubbing butter into a burn, but its all i've heard.

Maybe someday we can get smart enough to build rods with solar panels on them that will heat the guides. Hopefully we won't have warmed the planet up enough to where ice isn't a problem before then.

tie one on

Reaction score
Cliff,

Thanks for the information. I might try that the next week or so when I get out again. What effect might PAM have on fly line, any thoughts ? I am kind of a clean & top notch shape equipment guy. I always clean & dress my fly line after a day on the river. I'm really surprised that someone has not developed a coating to be applied to stop ice, maybe that's how I could make my fortune instead of engineering.

Thanks & Merry CHRISTmas,

Tie One On

BigCliff

Reaction score
Sorry on the delay in reply. I doubt the PAM itself would do any harm to your gear, other than being hard to fully wipe off afterwards. I would expect it to allow more dust and grit to stick to the rod, guides, and the line which could eventually damage all those parts.

Somebody has come out with a product to fight it and I'm sure Steve could get you some if he doesn't stock it. Check out Stanley's Ice Off Paste™ on http://www.loonoutdoors.com/cleanerslubricants.html

'Fraid you'll have to keep looking for a way to make your fortune!