Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Default Affordable fly fishing cabin - anywhere?

I was fishing the Gallatin last summer and admired this tiny cabin that a family was staying in right on the river. It was secluded and you could step out and fish a dozen times a day. I don't know how to find that specific lodging but I'm looking for something for about 4 days in mid-July. It can be anywhere in the US so long as it's affordable and the trout fishing is good. It only needs to sleep 4 (a pullout is fine). Montana would be great but I'm open to anywhere even something like the White River in AK.

I'd love to go after big browns with my 7 wt but will also have my #5.

Afterwards, we're headed to Calgary via Chicago, SFO, Houston, or Denver. We could layup early in Alberta if anyone knows anything north of the border. My brother lives near the Bow which I'll try to get on when we're in Canada but if anyone knows a rental up that way I'm all ears.

Also I would love Helena and Mizzoula. I've visited and fished around Big Sky and always wanted to check out Helena and Mizzoula.

I know this is wide open but looking for something affordable for my family for about 4 days and don't know how to find a needle in a haystack as most advertised properties are aimed at VCs.

Default Re: Affordable fly fishing cabin - anywhere?

Start with AirBNB and VRBO. I have found some good deals there.
    Mainline the blueline

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Check out Taylor Creek Cabins, near Basalt CO. They have a website. I know someone that spent a week there and said the fishing was great. Has some private water. Cabins are owned and operated by Frying Pan Anglers.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Detroit Lakes, Minnesota and Bozeman, Montana

There are cabins on Rock Creek, just east of Missoula that are within walking distance and yet secluded. Rock Creek is a really nice area to fish and explore.

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Streams in the GW Nat Forest, Shenandoah NP,Potomac, Salmon River, NY. Exploring rivers in PNW

Check your inbox, PM sent
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Quote Originally Posted by 100954 View Post
    There are cabins on Rock Creek, just east of Missoula that are within walking distance and yet secluded. Rock Creek is a really nice area to fish and explore.
    Funny enough I was just looking at a cabin on Rock Creek which I'd never heard of but sounds like has good fly fishing. I chose Missoula / Helena simply because they're two towns near each other that I'd love to check out and we can fly to either.

My wife's freaking out a little bit as these are non-electric cabins and we'll have to scramble to have sleeping bags in tow but I think we can pull it off; some cabins have a propane setup.

Quote Originally Posted by City Rat View Post
    Check your inbox, PM sent
    Your PM is blowing my mind thanks so much!

I'm trying to narrow the possibilities and find a sweet cabin on a blue ribbon river for the dates I need but the beauty is we're flexible so I think it's just a matter of putting in time to research.

I may open up to Wyoming shortly.

10. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

I sent a pm. Then I thought about the cabins on the Madison River, MT. A couple years ago I stayed at the Campfire Lodge Resort, located on the Madison between Hebgen and Quake lakes (awesome fishing). We camped, but they offer cabin rentals and have a small fly shop and restaurant onsite, but it is only open for breakfast (awesome food) and lunch, so you either have to prepare your own dinner or drive somewhere (West Yellowstone, Ennis or the Grizzly Bar and Grill). If you decide to try that, just realize it fills up fast and the owner only deals in cash.
    Madison River cabin rentals in West Yellowstone MT

I have not stayed here, but the West Fork Cabins is another option, it also is located right on the river.
    Madison River Cabins and Camping | West Fork Cabins
    Larry

Been looking at this beautiful cabin on the Beaverhead near Dillon but I don't know how the fly fishing would be in the vicinity of the house. I think the best area of the Beaverhead is the first 16 miles but not sure.

The water looks low in the video and we're looking at mid-July but this is awesome I didn't know rentals like this existed. I'm still researching but this one caught my attention. It's sister BLM property Axolotl Cabin near Ennis is sold out : (

Blog Entries

We were fishing in that general area last week (I recognized a couple of the mountain formations in the video), the Beaverhead is currently running a lot higher then it is in the video. The video might have been made last year when they had a low snow pack, this year SW Montana got about 120% of average. That cabin looks awesome, especially for the price.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    Check out Taylor Creek Cabins, near Basalt CO. They have a website. I know someone that spent a week there and said the fishing was great. Has some private water. Cabins are owned and operated by Frying Pan Anglers.
    I have stayed in their River Lodge twice; VERY NICE. And fishing is good just behind the lodge in their private water. From there it's just a few miles upstream to the tailwaters where fishing is less technical and trout are plentiful. I was there in late May each time (2015 and 2016) when most other streams are blown out.

15. Likes karstopo liked this post