Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  63
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Is Fishing more than Catching Fish?

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    Trust me on this, there is such a thing as a bad day of fly fishing.
    - Unknownflyman
    And every one of them beat my best day at work!

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post

And every one of them beat my best day at work!
    I know that it's the oldest saying about our sport... "A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work"... but that is 100% situational. I've had plenty of really good days at work that were better than a bad fishing trip, plenty!

I think it's just something we say to make ourselves feel better about a lousy situation. Like telling a woman, "Ooh, it's good luck to have it rain on your wedding day!" No it's not... it is raining on your F****** wedding day!!!
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

Stenacron, nice to see you! You took the words right out of my mouth.

4. Likes stenacron liked this post

Done all kinds of fishing. I can hold my arms all the way apart and say: I've caught a fish bigger than this.
    I remember having to tell my mother when I was a child... Talking with my grandfather when we went fishing. Had to tell her: Mom... that's the kind of things you talk about when you go fishing.
    Have done two pound line fishing off the shore on west coast. Talk about crash and burn fishing. Little chance of success. It's a ton of fun.
    Fly fishing is more basic and real. Kinda like the comparison of a sail boat to a power boat.
    I truly do enjoy casting. It shows. Been complimented before.
    I enjoy getting out there...wherever.
    I've also been poor. Where the cost of my license was costly to me. Helped me to get decent food.
    I enjoy just getting out there. Especially like fly/trout fishing in rivers. Catching fish is a bonus. Always hoping I taught the fish something. So he might avoid getting caught by some idiot.
    The fishing is more than just catching fish.

6. Likes slipshift liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    Trust me on this, there is such a thing as a bad day of fly fishing.
    - Unknownflyman
    I do remember a day when my waders leaked bad at below freezing temps. That fly fishing day sucked. I also remember a day when my daughter forgot her waders and I wet waded when it was about 40F. That day kinda sucked worse than my best day at work too.

Just trying to start an argument lol.

Blog Entries

Yes its more than just about catching. If it wasn't I would have quit many years ago. Just as bow hunting is more than just the kill.

To witness the events that shape my environment have in turn shaped myself; beyond words. Having alpineglow humble me in its light of insignificance . The scrambling for a false sense of secuity in a lightning storm. Watching a rock slide to hearing a tree fall. The sound of a bugle, the butting of rams horns to a woofing bear. Watching a fish's fruitless attempts at grabbing a grasshopper. The bee that won't leave me alone to a ferret waiting patiently for me to get out of its path. The wake of a pike distorting the morning sunrise to being carried off by mosquitos. Yeah, much more. It's nurishment for my soul.

It's all about stages. We go through them and then we may find ourselves revisiting them. I know I have, countless times. I think as we progress as anglers we start carving our own personal niche. It is there, in that niche, when most realize it's not all about catching. Strange how that sounds a lot like life.lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

9. Likes dennyk, ggriffi, Lonnie Utah liked this post
    Blog Entries

We've probably all heard this before: No kid (or adult) will ever remember their best day behind a computer. Go Fishing and enjoy your surroundings!

Denny

I agree with much of what has been said, it's about what you want it to be. I don't care if I'm catching, only care that I'm there enjoying the experience.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456