Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  63
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Is Fishing more than Catching Fish?

The recent thread on kiss and tell has got me thinking, which can be dangerous. Why do we fish? We all have our secret spots and my hunch is that many on this board are superb anglers who catch a fair share of our finny friends. Which is good. But, I also think that fishing is more that merely catching fish. Just the other day a friend and i were fishing a trout stream not doing very well. We had caught fish earlier in the day but the action tailed off to about zero. Yet he told me, he would rather fish all day and catch maybe one or two fish, trying to outwit them, than catching many with no effort at all. This attitude is what I think makes a true angler, because it suggests dedication to the sport based on a higher sense of value and meaning that separates us from those only interested in meat. Fishing is an experience and process. As other posters have pointed out, just searching for places to fish and experiencing the excitement of trying new waters is a turn on. On this board, selecting a fly rod, a reel, and fly line is the point of great debate. So, I fish because of the experience and value the process provides me. Not just because I catch fish. I also enjoy sharing this experience with others, and obtain great satisfaction in seeing them successful in not only catching fish, but catching the excitement that fly fishing provides. Nuf Ced. SR

2. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post

Default Re: Is Fishing more than Catching Fish?

I just thought I would respond to me own thread before someone else points out a few good points. I wrote the thread after a couple of brews sitting on my porch. First, I think that some might point out that sharing places increases the traffic flow which detracts from the solitude and beauty that may trump just catching fish. I agree. Fishing for me involves a sense of getting away from it all, a sense of being separate, for short while, from the stress of everyday life often associated with hordes of people. It involves experiencing nature directly, handling a wild fish that allows me to connect with nature in a way not otherwise possible. So, keeping some places special remains an ideal, but then, sharing such places with close friends so they can experience the unique feeling of nature also remains. There is always a trade off. Should I take this medicine that will enable me to live longer, but have potentially adverse consequences is always a choice.
    Yet, fishing is one activity that satisfies these inner needs better than most other things, at least for me. SR

4. Likes spm, rfb700, slipshift, dennyk, City Rat, cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

Well said.

steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

6. Likes Ard liked this post

Srock, spot on. I love the process of fly fishing. Catching is secondary.

8. Likes dakotakid, Ard, ia_trouter liked this post

I don't have to catch fish to have a great day on the water. However, fish certainly enhance the experience.

10. Likes Ard, iv_wjb, City Rat liked this post
    Blog Entries

I live and fish in an environment much different than many of our members. If I have reason to believe that there is one really nice fish within a mile long stretch of river I'll fish that mile and be happy.

I go fishing because I know how not to prove I know how.

steelhead.jpg

Each year there is one that is a standout fish, usually because they were caught through the process of elimination. When I said a mile of river I'm not kidding, that's a lot of water. There are lots of days when I come home and Nancy asks what I caught and I have to say "nothing" but then there are the days when I do well. I can go to places where there are more fish but there will be other people there too so I go where there are very few and I never tell anyone where I catch fish like the ones in the pictures.

The last day that I fished last fall was cold with snow mixed with rain. I didn't catch a fish that day. I did however see one bigger than either of the 2 in the photos jump about 2 foot clear of the water. It was almost 150 yards down river from me but still looked big! This years project is to learn whether he survived the winter and whether he's still within that mile...………...

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

12. Likes rfb700, City Rat, cpiercem liked this post

Great post, if it was about catching, id still be using traps, trotlines, gillnets, etc what ever got the most fish for the time spent. Nowadays catching is probably tertiary, my last trip I was getting plenty of hits but no hookups. when I examined the fly, the hook was broke off at the bend, I went back to casting.
    there's a reason they call it fishing, not catching

14. Likes karstopo, cpiercem liked this post

Oh of course, but its very personal and one can only figure that out for himself.

Its ok to be focused on catching fish and to be disappointed if its a goose egg day. its also ok if you could care less about catching anything but a good buzz and be out in nature.

How you feel, its all ok man, don't let anyone tell you differently.

Its about the love, the love of fly fishing.

16. Likes cpiercem liked this post
    Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout fishing universe)

Way more than just catching fish for me. It's the environment I fish in that counts most.

Solitude, beautiful scenery, a sense of being out in nature is what matters.

Catching fish is a bonus. I've done some trips with nary a game fish on the end of my line. But creek chub and fallfish kept me entertained.

One of my best memories was a sunny late fall day fishing the shallows below a series of falls. Didn't catch squat. Nada. Nothing.

But the day was beautiful and the scenery stunning. Fall always makes me nostalgic and I loved the melancholy of the experience.

Fishing is great but fish are not always necessary.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

18. Likes Ard, cpiercem liked this post

My favorite spot is a small, spring fed, brook. I don't even know if there is any fish in it since I've never caught any but it's so peaceful and relaxing. I went there once without a rod and it just wasn't the same.

Jim

20. Likes unknownflyman, iv_wjb, busbus, cpiercem liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast