Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  61
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wyoming at different times of the year .

Default Why is fly fishing

so expensive ? I was just checking prices on getting dropped off and picked up on the.Flathead in Bob Marshall . Good Lord it would be cheaper to buy a mule and drag it up there to pack yourself in and out and then sell him when you get back home . A poor old retired construction worker can't afford that kind of leisure these days . One can't ride a bicycle on a mule or hiking trail which is bull chit and if one is disabled or partially so he might as well shoot himself . I do believe I have outlived the times . oh
    Last edited by jangles; 05-09-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    Ron Zimmerman

Thread Killer

2. Thanks trout trekker thanked for this post
    Likes slipshift, Rip Tide, unknownflyman liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why is fly fishing

I hear you,

The trick is finding ways to have good experiences within our means. Easy to say but possible given some thought and doing a little research.

As we get older and less able to take on the kind of challenges that may be better suited to those much younger or in some cases those having more financial resources we have to search out the hidden gems still attainable. I live in Alaska, the last frontier. Yeah right! If you never spotted this either on the forums or on my blog it will tell you what things are like where I live: An Inconvenient Possibility That link leads to an essay written a year ago, it could stand some editing or perhaps an addendum piece to cover the occurrences over the past 11 months but it'll get you into the view of how things are here.

Sorry for the digression but I think that sometimes people have Alaska confused with Bristol Bay. Bristol Bay is within the state but lies hundreds of air miles to the west of South Central AK. You have expressed shock at the cost of a trip into the Bob Marshal Wilderness and I understand that. Here the best place for me to fish right now would be out on the Sandy River on Katmai Peninsula. The fish numbers are off the charts (steelhead & rainbow trout) but there is a problem. Several problems actually; there are no roads out there so after I buy a round trip air fare from Anchorage for $480.00 I need to hire an air taxi from King Salmon to drop me on the river then pick me up 9 days later. That'll run right around $1350.00........... Another small set back is you will be there but you will not have a boat. With that in mind you better pick a really good drop off point because that's where you'll be fishing for 8 days...

Not real too costly right around $2,500.00 plus camp supplies but I hesitate to go because I like to be able to move around rivers using my boat. I may give it a try next year.

So that would be a hidden gem example. If I wanted to stay at a lodge and have a guide with a boat moving me around the river that's different. 6 days fishing 7 night lodging is $7,900.00 and my guide will expect a tip as well as the kitchen staff who prepare all the chow...

Now that I can't afford to fall in love with. The other way to get there is to take work at one of the lodges on the various rivers out there. I've already done that with 2 different outfits and can tell you it's a dam hard way to earn a few days fishing between bookings. So, it's not just you my friend. You either have to be able to throw down big time or you need to figure out a way to do things within a certain budget. I had a ten day float trip all laid out years ago for a river on Kodiak but the fish counts there have crashed also. Not that it would be more affordable but the fishing bottomed out.

So what will I do? I'll gut things out here and probably catch some salmon - some trout and a couple steelhead over the summer. Then for the fall I have a trip planned for steelhead but that one won't be free either

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

4. Thanks rfb700 thanked for this post
    Likes Rip Tide, gc59, ia_trouter, bumble54 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    so expensive ? I was just checking prices on getting dropped off and picked up on the.Flathead in Bob Marshall . Good Lord it would be cheaper to buy a mule and drag it up there to pack yourself in and out and then sell him when you get back home . A poor old retired construction worker can't afford that kind of leisure these days . One can't ride a bicycle on a mule or hiking trail which is bull chit and if one is disabled or partially so he might as well shoot himself . I do believe I have outlived the times .
    The Bob Marshall is a designated Wilderness Area somewhat larger than the state of Rhode Island and the size of Connecticut if you include its buffering adjacent Forest Service lands. No bicycles or other wheeled vehicles allowed, thank goodness. Only your own feet or horseback can get you in or out of there. As a young man, I along with my brother and our two dogs would shoulder heavy frame packs and spend a day hiking through the Forrest Service land to get to the edge of the Bob. To fish up in there we would take about 3 to 4 weeks of hiking and camping having the time of our lives we still revisit when we get together now as a pair of grey beards. We did this back in the 1970's and would generally see no other humans up there on the spine of the continent.

Could I do this today? Impossible physically and the cost of packing in there with an outfitter, money aside, is something I don't want to do. To this day though, I still tent camp along great rivers but I get there in a 4X4. While I sport high end equipment for performance and reliability both angling and camping, I do not regard fly fishing per se so expensive. If one elects to employ airplanes and outfitters to angle, that obviously is going to require a credit card.

6. Likes Joey Bagels, ia_trouter liked this post
    Blog Entries

Why is fly fishing so expensive? Simple: to keep poor people from doing it!

Yeah, sticker shock is a problem. That doesn't mean we can't get good gear cheaply or catch fish close to home. Keep it simple and it's still a lot of fun.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    FFi Certified Casting Instructor

Failing to practice is practicing to fail.

Default Why is fly fishing

Itís expensive because people will pay. If Iím a guide and I charge 5x what the next guy does, but people will pay me, why should I charge less? Next guy sees this and boosts his rates. Then we both start to incrementally increase to test the limits. If I can guide 1 client a week and make enough to be profitable vs 20 a week and making no $$, guess which Iíll do!
    That aside, whatís wrong with fishing and recreating within your means? Canít afford a trip to the wilderness? Donít go. Youíre entitled to do anything you want in life. But there always a cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ďItís all in the reflexes.Ē

9. Likes ia_trouter, dennyk, Hirdy, slipshift liked this post

Hirdy, I don't believe anyone wants to keep anyone from going fly fishing. There is plenty of good, modest priced gear and decent angling in non-Blue Ribbon environs. If, however, one wishes to pursue exotic destinations be they access to wilderness environs, elite Atlantic salmon rivers or out-island bonefish camps, fly fishing then can become costly. You know I love to go bonefishing but I'm lucky if I can pull it off once a year as I now need a camp and guide with a decent skiff and this has become quite expensive.

11. Likes Joey Bagels, ia_trouter, silver creek liked this post
  12. Default Re: Why is fly fishing

J: I'm in my fishing twilight both physically and wallet. My addiction is fishing. From my experience, fishing venues always require a learning curve and then there's weather. My longtime fishing friends are gone...with boats gone...with house in Bahamas gone...no one to split some of the costs. My wallet cannot afford a learning curve for new venues. If I took a 10-12 thousand dollar lodge trip to fishing nirvana that would be it... 7 days in paradise, perhaps with bad weather, bad guides, bad sports and then nothing else for the year...no KW, no Pere Marquette, no Baja... stuck in central Indiana with E coli water. In me dotage I had to eliminate the costly learning curve and now go to familiarity .... KW for salt, Pere Marquette for fresh, and Baja East for conventional but do take fly rod ...to familiar places, accommodations and guides...if I still had personal baggage... children to support and wife to support(and entertain) it would be E coli water and maybe a couple of floats on the PM...

13. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    so expensive ? I was just checking prices on getting dropped off and picked up on the.Flathead in Bob Marshall . Good Lord it would be cheaper to buy a mule and drag it up there to pack yourself in and out and then sell him when you get back home . A poor old retired construction worker can't afford that kind of leisure these days . One can't ride a bicycle on a mule or hiking trail which is bull chit and if one is disabled or partially so he might as well shoot himself . I do believe I have outlived the times .
    I don't think fly fishing is "expensive" at all. Certainly not any more than other similar recreation.

What you really mean is the type of fly fishing you want to do is expensive. If that is the criteria, then bass fishing in a $60,000.00 bass boat with a $65,000.00 pickup to tow it, and an armful of $600 Sage Bass rods and tackle boxes filled with gear is expensive. Or one could use a spincast rod with live bait.

I think S&S last post is spot on. Fly fishing is not expensive. What is expensive is what you want and not what you need. Wants are always expensive, needs are not.

I may want a Ferrari but what I need is dependable transportation.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

15. Likes Joey Bagels, slipshift, TwoThumbsUp liked this post

if one is disabled or partially so he might as well shoot himself. I do believe I have outlived the times .
    Bear in mind that when I say this, I say it as a shepherd of souls and a monk who lives under a condition of religious poverty. Just like you, the Bob Marshall is probably out of my league.

I now you are probably not serious, but this is the sort of idea a person needs to dash on the rocks the minute it comes to mind. At the very least, it points one in the direction of envy and jealousy and self-pity and it can leave one in despair in a serious case.

Very often this will show up in a depressed person, and any good psychologist will tell you that depressed people trap themselves in a cycle of bad thinking.

At heart, it's saying things like life cannot be good where I am, what I have is not good enough, the blessings of my life are not sufficient, I can't find happiness or joy here, etc. It's a way of thinking that leads to doom, because it's saying one's happiness and joy are in the unobtainable, the impossible, etc. In other words, it's saying happiness is out of reach. That's simply a lie.

It's worth reading Viktor Frankl. In the middle of a Nazi concentration camp he found himself loving his wife, and it was as if it took him to another place, better than the Bob Marshall, better than the bonefish flats, better than any place on earth even. In doing that, he managed to transcend what might have been the worst hell hole ever to exist on this planet. For a minute, it didn't matter in the least that he was in Auschwitz. He'd encountered something within himself that made the Nazis irrelevant, and it was something they couldn't ever touch.

But, be aware that a person can squander that. It can't be taken away, but it can most surely be wasted.

If a Christian thinks this way, it infinitely worse. It's shutting oneself off from a blessing that is always poured out on a believer through faith. It's a spiritually poisonous, deadly way of thinking.

I battle it all the time myself, and that's why I'm commenting. It's matter of learning to recognize that bluegills in the local pond is just as good and rewarding as some fishing in some exotic place. Or, that being the shepherd surrounded by his flock is good and absolutely worth doing, even when I'd rather be the fishermen off doing his thing.

This is what St. Peter learned when he'd just hauled in his catch, but was asked to be shepherd and feed the sheep. (See the Gospel of John, chapter 21). There's something universal in that story. Why do we fish? In the end, so we can be the shepherds for the others around us. spouses, children, grandchildren, friends, parents, colleagues, neighbors. We receive a blessing so we can give it to others around us.

17. Thanks flafly14 thanked for this post
    Likes jds108, slipshift, spm liked this post

Fly fishing isn't inherently expensive. Unfortunately the type of fly fishing I want to do is incredibly expensive. I want remote, pristine, empty places to fish and that simply costs a lot of money these days.

19. Likes jangles, dakotakid, trout trekker liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast