Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  84
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Organizing your fly box

I was wondering if someone could let me know if this was a bad idea… I was trying to organize my fly box according to species instead of flight type i.e. dry, nymphs, emerger etc.. Below is an example of one of my boxes for my caddis flies. I have dry flies, emergers, and wet flies and a few small nymphs.

I heard a few talks about how trout many times will take an emerger, nymph or an imitation of a spent spinner instead of the dry. So to be ready for all possible options I decided to put them all in one box so that way if there’s a Caddis hatch I’m ready for anything.

Any advice/criticism would be welcome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Re: Organizing your fly box

I tend to organize each pattern into emerger and spinner then I have my wet fly section in the same box. Separate nymph box and separate streamer box.

3. Thanks dcfoster thanked for this post
    Likes hairwing530, mcnerney liked this post

To each his own but I like you, want mine separated by fly. After 30 years of fishing know what I'm looking for. Grouped by fly. I do categorize by 2 boxes. Dry and then all else.
    R Reese

5. Thanks dcfoster thanked for this post
    Likes hairwing530, k7tnt, Dave WX2CIB, mcnerney liked this post

A box for streamers, a box for Caddis (all parts of the life cycle, but mostly dries/emergers), a box for (dries) mayflies/terrestrials, a box for nymphs (mostly small tailwater stuff), a box for midges, a box for BWO's.

Just the way I do it. Not all boxes are in my vest at the same time...
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

7. Likes hairwing530, Dave WX2CIB, mcnerney liked this post

One box of nymphs one box of dries and a box of streamers. I might carry 75 to 100 dries and 100+ nymphs. Probably 50 streamers. I only use a half dozen flies.
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

This is my primary stillwater box... it's organized, but I don't know what system I use :-)
    Stillwater box_17 Apr 2019.jpg

I also carry a small box of streamer patterns.

For rivers I carry a midge box, nymph box, dry fly box, streamer box, and misc. (soft hackles on one side, various "seasonal" patterns on the other).
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
    I only use a half dozen flies.
    Sounds about right.
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

11. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

I have about 30 fly boxes now, covering everything from Bluegills to saltwater and have yet to figure out the perfect way to organize. So, some boxes have different types of flies to cover specific types of water, and other boxes have certain types of flies for specific fish species. For example, I have a few boxes that only have Buggers in them. Two boxes that I use when fishing from a boat, are large, multi-compartment Plano types, and they have surface & subsurface flies that I use for bass or Stripers. There's some cross-over boxes too that could work well for multi-species.

IMO, unless you very much limit the flies that you use, there's not any perfect way to organize different types of flies in a single box. So, do what you believe best suits your fishing & waters and adjust as needed.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

13. Likes hairwing530, Dave WX2CIB, mcnerney liked this post

A big random mess. Man, I gotta get organized.

15. Likes TwoThumbsUp, hairwing530, k_e_v, mcnerney, SDMT liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
    A big random mess....
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^

There's no use in me even trying.
    *Disclaimer, I don't always know what I'm talking about.

17. Likes hairwing530, mcnerney, SDMT liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast