Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  54
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Waterproof camera .. or none?

My iphone died on my last trip. It is supposedly waterproof to 1 meter. I had it in a pocket that got damp. Not sure if this is what killed it or not. Itís been dunked in the salt before and came out fine, so Iíd be surprised. Anyway, thatís not the point. Iíll get a new one. The point is that I didnít have a camera for seven days. I didnít get pics of a 40-inch GT or a very large trigger (guide said 10 pounds and I believe him). Now here is the kicker .. I donít care. I donít try to re-live yesterday. Those fish came and went. There may be more or there may not be. Having a photo doesnít matter to me. One trip member asked me, in jest, why we should believe you if you have no evidence. I responded that Iíd be disturbed if you didnít. Why would you essentially accuse me of lying? If Iím going to lie, it would be over something important, not the size of a fish to people I hardly know. And besides, if someone doesnít believe me, other than having a less-than-positive opinion of them because they think I am a liar, why would I care? In this case, the boat was coming back to the flat to pick me, the last fisherman, up for the day. They got to watch the final fifteen minutes of the battle and see the size of the fish wnen it was landed and released .. to their asonishment .. without a photo.

Alright, with the backstory done .. the question: Should I spend $100 on a waterproof digital camera so I can share my experiences with others? Or just fish?

Default Re: Waterproof camera .. or none?

Just to clarify, since Iím a little slow to understand forum posts at times. The first paragraph of your post goes into all the reasons you donít care about photos or other peopleís opinions, other than to not like them if they donít believe you.
    The second asks for advice from people whose opinions you donít value about whether you should take photos that you donít care about to appease the folks whoís responses you donít like.
    Maybe more time fishing, less time online is more the key here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ďItís all in the reflexes.Ē

3. Thanks stenacron thanked for this post

Pretty much what Joey said. Based strictly on your post, I suggest no camera, more fishing, and perhaps a second cup of coffee before you post the forum.

5. Likes Joey Bagels, ts47 liked this post
  6. Default Re: Waterproof camera .. or none?

Sorry if you didn’t fully understand. The first paragraph is to establish that personally having a photo isn’t important to me. Nor is having “proof” that I caught a certain fish.

The question is essentially asking for others opinions on whether I should value photos more than I do and, thus, spend the money. In particular, should I spend the money on a camera so I can share those memories with others (friends, family, etc.)?

If that last sentence was a snipe at me .. why?

Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout fishing universe)

Agree with Joey. Sounds like more fishing less worrying about photos is for you.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

8. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by denver1911 View Post
    Sorry if you didn’t fully understand. The first paragraph is to establish that personally having a photo isn’t important to me. Nor is having “proof” that I caught a certain fish.

The question is essentially asking for others opinions on whether I should value photos more than I do and, thus, spend the money. In particular, should I spend the money on a camera so I can share those memories with others (friends, family, etc.)?

If that last sentence was a snipe at me .. why?
    If not for you, a couple shots for the loved ones after we pass is kinda cool. We enjoy looking at a few fishing shots of the relatives now gone. Brings back some nice memories.

10. Thanks denver1911 thanked for this post

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.Ē --- Horace Kephart

I don't take to many pictures any more usually just a selfie for the family to show where I have been and one or two of fish I found exceptionally pretty. Most of the time I am just fishing and hopefully catching. Fish live in such wonderful places it is always good to have a camera along just in case. If it is just a camera as part of a phone that is usually fine as most phones have pretty good cameras now.

Regards,

Tim C.

13. Default Re: Waterproof camera .. or none?

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Some of the last ones I got before the phone died:

Gear before I left:

9E3EB4B3-44DB-470F-B7D5-121BD63A318F.jpg

Tide table for Christmas Island:

A2784C73-56B2-40A6-B03D-C361C28A0FF8.jpg

Blog Entries

I like having a camera on outings and used to have a waterproof camera, but the saltwater destroyed it. I’ve had a couple of waterproof cameras taken down by lengthy exposure to saltwater. Mine were Olympus models. I did rinse and/or soak them in fresh water post outing as per the manual.

Now I rely on my cheapo Samsung cell phone and put it in a gallon plastic zip bag with some folded paper towels. So far, so good.

Some trips, the phone stays in the bag and no photos of fish get taken. One friend I fish with pretty often almost never takes a photo of fish or anything else so I’ve decided I can’t take any photos when I fish with him. It’s his boat so when in Rome...but even we fish on my boat, I’m reluctant to take a photo. There’s something macho going on between us, whose going to blink first type of deal.

Photos of fish, people or other wildlife/scenery help me remember enjoyable trips, though, so I like to take some. Sometimes, I wish I had a better camera than a cruddy cell phone type, but then I remember my past experiences with the rugged waterproof Olympus models that didn’t prove to be all that tough.

I’m not worried about whether people believe me or not. I live on a lake and fish a lot and it would be tedious to take a photo of fish everytime I fished. Then in the saltwater, if the fish are really there and willing, it’s hard to take the extra time for the photo therefore missing out on some additional good fishing.

It is nice to have evidence like photos of fish to support one’s position regarding discussions of experience with a fish and fishery, Plus, I think it’s fun to look back on an old photo of some specimen fish and sort of go over the events of the catch in one’s mind. And then some folks way exaggerate about the size of fish they caught in such and such place so I like to see a photo to confirm or refute their story, just to get a better understanding of the fish in particular place they fished.

For me, photos of fish are not living about in the past, but more like the past informs and shapes the future. If I get a truly special fish in a particular spot at a specific time point using x fly and y presentation, it’s nice to have the photo of the event to jog the memory and then perhaps try and duplicate the sequence at a future date. I have enough evidence to support this so I’m inclined to take photos of the special fish and note when, where, and how. Special fish seek out the same structure year after year after year and tend to respond to the same presentations.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

15. Likes denver1911 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast