Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  247
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Nipper thread .. everyones favorite .. which one? Orvis or Abel

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    These Orvis are my first pair of expensive nippers-my buddy at the fly shop gave them to me for $50. With the hand/finger issues I have these work the best for me because of the ergo design. They stay sharp-but then again I'm not cutting 80# line.

Denny
    Totene is now using a pair just like that. They served me well for a year or so. I hope they do the same for him. I can see another pair of them in my future.

2. Likes dennyk, hairwing530 liked this post

Default Re: Nipper thread .. everyones favorite .. which one? Orvis or Abel

I like my Abel nippers.

4. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

There's a reason that Cain killed Abel - -
    Abel just couldn't stop bragging about his nippers.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

6. Likes el jefe, hairwing530, dennyk, losthwy, W3BOW liked this post
    Blog Entries

I've read through all replies and have some feed back on nippers to offer.

I have had a pair of Abel solid black nips since the before the days of our first contentious nipper thread here, generation one I believe so my review may not apply to today's tool. The little needle for poking hook eyes is not well positioned on the original Abel so if buying online be sure you don't get a deal on new old stock tools. The needle wasn't a big deal here because I don't tie #18 or 20 any more.

No Orvis experience since back when the ceramic nips were their new offering but........... Bought Simms 4 years ago I think. I think they work better than the Abel and the needle is in a much better position for those who need it.

I preferred the Simms tool over Abel to the extent that I have made gifts of them to visiting anglers and last years Keep em Wet photo contest winners received nipper / lanyard sets from Larry and I as prizes. I didn't feel that we were offering sub par prizes because they wern't Abel. Due to my own experience with both I picked the Simms tool for the give away items.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Likes hairwing530, pheldozer, MichaelCPA liked this post
    beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan

I'll throw another tool into the mix, in that I'm still using an old Abel Perfect Tool... along with my Orvis nippers as well. The Abel carries a fair number of tools in a fold-out design-- a kind of Abel Swiss Army tool, only on a smaller scale --and I can't figure out why Abel ever quit making them.

Fortunately for me, as I'm infamous for my "if you like something, buy another one before they quit making 'em," I was gifted a second Abel Perfect Tool, one that remains bagged and brand new. I just haven't found the need to put it into service yet.

Will there be an Abel nipper in my future? You'd have to ask the Speaker of the House-- aka wife Debbi --as she's quickly running out of birthday ideas for yours truly.

Sorry for taking a side road on the discussion. Proceed, guys...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

10. Likes Ard, hollisd, dennyk liked this post
  11. Default Re: Nipper thread .. everyones favorite .. which one? Orvis or Abel

Quote Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post

I’m infamous for my "if you like something, buy another one before they quit making 'em,"
    Sounds like my wife and her shotguns.

12. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope" next few years

Another factor to consider with the Abel and Simms are the replaceable blades which adds to the cost and inconvience. For my money a nipper I can quickly sharpen with some fine sandpaper is what I use. And will add Anglers Image has a well design nipper.
    “one opportunity, one encounter”
    一期一会

14. Likes Ard, hairwing530 liked this post
    Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your way thru
    Blog Entries

Looking for a deal on the new Orvis nippers, you can get a pair for free that I left somewhere on Jones Hole Creek in Utah last week. If you look closely you can also get a free Brodin net left on the same stream that i assume is hanging in the bushes along the stream

yep I had a bad day but it was still awesome

16. Likes osseous, perryk, yikes, hairwing530 liked this post

LOL, I missed this thread until now. I started off with nail clippers and they worked fine of course. Though lacking in style points, if the bite was slow, I could pull off my gear and trim my toenails anytime I wanted to lol. I then purchased some nippers with a fly gear brand name and they were just worthless. A waste of $15 or so. So go big or don't bother with a small upgrade is my advice.

18. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by k_e_v View Post
    Looking for a deal on the new Orvis nippers, you can get a pair for free that I left somewhere on Jones Hole Creek in Utah last week. If you look closely you can also get a free Brodin net left on the same stream that i assume is hanging in the bushes along the stream

yep I had a bad day but it was still awesome
    Did you float Ladore, or make the drive in? Jones Hole is a cool place for sure- as long as the skunks don't get ya-

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

20. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast