Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  247
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Nipper thread .. everyones favorite .. which one? Orvis or Abel

Quote Originally Posted by rfb700 View Post
    Every time this comes up.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

It usually goes for more and then don't forget the purse swinging as well.......
    Mainline the blueline

I have sat this one out but, what the heck, I do have an update. In our Original Nipperfest I wrote glowingly of Abel's great innovation, a big success for them and enjoyed by most who use one, including me.

On my bonefish strap vest I have one of those old Orvis ceramic nippers theorizing it would not corrode. I has not corroded but the metalwork of its zinger has and it can not be removed. I will get around to doing so surgically as one other thing it won't do is cut thicker Fluoro. My Abel Nipper works great (I do not use the inset pin) and is handsomely Brown Trout anodized but it has been reassigned to stay home to work on pre-trip leader construction in competition with the half dozen Dr.Slick nippers in every room. On my trout vest now is a stealth black Hatch Nipper, now in its third season, mounted on a thread through, indistructo Gear Keeper. Like the Abel, it cuts tags of any diameter far cleaner than ordinary nippers.

T19 15 Hatch Nipper s.jpg

Able . I have had these Nippers for 20 + years but the Zinger is only 7 yrs old . I call them Able because there isn't any line they aren't able to cut clean, including braid . Best $3.50 I ever spent .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thread Killer

4. Default Re: Nipper thread .. everyones favorite .. which one? Orvis or Abel

I will make fun of anyone with fancy nippers, but I guess those with rod vaults on top of their SUV's need to another overpriced useless gadget to show off they are a Huge Flyfisher......

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

5. Likes Rip Tide, huronfly liked this post
  6. Default Re: Nipper thread .. everyones favorite .. which one? Orvis or Abel

I’m probably just going to get another pair of the Orvis ones, but thanks to those who provided helpful insight into these two tools.

In my research .. I have had more time on the internet lately .. resting up from a week’s fishing .. I came across this and thought I’d share. A new competitor for those willing to spend a little more on their nipper.

Gerber Freehander Fishing Line Management Tool | Gerber Gear

7. Likes hairwing530, unknownflyman liked this post
  8. Default Re: Nipper thread .. everyones favorite .. which one? Orvis or Abel

Quote Originally Posted by ravenbc View Post
    I will make fun of anyone with fancy nippers, but I guess those with rod vaults on top of their SUV's need to another overpriced useless gadget to show off they are a Huge Flyfisher......

Interestingly enough, I had a pair of $80 nippers .. and a $100 fly rod on my last trip. My backup rod cost less than $200. One guy asked what kind of line I was using on my GT rod and I told him I wasnít sure. I bought it on clearance sometime back and didnít remember the name. I do know it was from Scientific Anglers. I also was using a second-hand old Abel Super-12 when others had hardly-scratched Hatch and Nautilus reels.

I make fun of those fishing $800 fly rods when a $100 one will catch just as many (more even) GTs as anybody else at the lodge that week. Or those sporting a $900 reel that they never get to test the drag on. What kind of rod do you use? Reel?

We all have different values .. and thatís cool.

p.s. I might be looking at a Meridian 12wt before my next trip though

9. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
  10. Default Re: Nipper thread .. everyones favorite .. which one? Orvis or Abel

Quote Originally Posted by denver1911 View Post
    Interestingly enough, I had a pair of $80 nippers .. and a $100 fly rod on my last trip. My backup rod cost less than $200. One guy asked what kind of line I was using on my GT rod and I told him I wasnít sure. I bought it on clearance sometime back and didnít remember the name. I do know it was from Scientific Anglers. I also was using a second-hand old Abel Super-12 when others had hardly-scratched Hatch and Nautilus reels.

I make fun of those fishing $800 fly rods when a $100 one will catch just as many (more even) GTs as anybody else at the lodge that week. Or those sporting a $900 reel that they never get to test the drag on. What kind of rod do you use? Reel?

We all have different values .. and thatís cool.

p.s. I might be looking at a Meridian 12wt before my next trip though
    I don't have any $800+ rods either, actually own only 1 factory, as my other 10+ rods have been built by myself.

I but I get why some will sink money into rods or reels and have no problem with it, as there are lots of benefits to faster and lighter rods. Does it make them a better fisherman, well no, but it does make it easier. I just don't see the point of spending a pile of money on a trivial item such as nippers.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenbc View Post

These posts always amuse me. Like it's some badge of honor that you cut the flurocarbon that you got from the spinning reel with a rusty spoon.

It reminds me of a part in trout bum by the legend John geirich when he was asked how he can have all this fancy fishing gear but still drive an old broken down truck.

People spend their money and prioritize different things. I've honestly never given a second look at someone when I'm passing them on the water and never really notice their gear. But I'm also not on the prowl to judge others.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Jack of all trades, Master of none.

beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan

When it comes to nippers, waders, rods, reels, tying tools, hackle, trucks, etc, the best adage to apply is "use what you like, and like what you use. Beyond that, it's all just fishing...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

13. Likes repperson29, denver1911, redwing, k_e_v liked this post

I own Scott rods and Ross or Abel reels. Iím not rich, nor a fly fishing snob. Itís what I choose to buy. I donít go to the bar or drive an expensive car (2015 CR-V) I donít go to sporting events. I like how some say ďoh...Iíve been appointed high court of fly fishing and you sir..yes you sir...are a snob bc you bought this or that.Ē So what??!! Buy it!! Enjoy it!!! Never apologize for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes denver1911 liked this post
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast