Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  247
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Nipper thread .. everyones favorite .. which one? Orvis or Abel

We all buy some strange things just because we want them. In 1970 when I got out of the Navy and was back in central Pa. going to Penn State, I got back into fly fishing.

My foolish purchase was one of those three layer aluminum fly boxes that all the cool anglers of the time were wearing on their chests. It cost me $45. My main fly rod at the time was a Fenwick that cost $35 new.

The back aches I got from that stupid box were worse than the stupid expense.

Oh well, that box is an antique now (so am I) so maybe I can swap it for a premium brand of nippers to replace my Umpqua.

Don

2. Default Re: Nipper thread .. everyones favorite .. which one? Orvis or Abel

Quote Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
    When it comes to nippers, waders, rods, reels, tying tools, hackle, trucks, etc, the best adage to apply is "use what you like, and like what you use. Beyond that, it's all just fishing...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
    Nailed it! 100%

3. Likes troutbum_74, ia_trouter, hairwing530 liked this post

You know what's cool? Not giving a **** what other people think.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sparsegraystubble View Post
    We all buy some strange things just because we want them. In 1970 when I got out of the Navy and was back in central Pa. going to Penn State, I got back into fly fishing.

My foolish purchase was one of those three layer aluminum fly boxes that all the cool anglers of the time were wearing on their chests. It cost me $45. My main fly rod at the time was a Fenwick that cost $35 new.

The back aches I got from that stupid box were worse than the stupid expense.

Oh well, that box is an antique now (so am I) so maybe I can swap it for a premium brand of nippers to replace my Umpqua.

Don
    I sold mine on eBay years ago for $125.00, it was in grade A condition and was snapped up quickly. I used it for a few years but ended up where I'm at now with just a few things in pockets and no auxiliary carrying devices

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

6. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

I didn't think those things were allowed outside of Pennsylvania?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Pretty big deal all the way up into the Catskill's mid 80's to early 90's actually. Mine wasn't the original design, it was an improved & lighter model I bought at the Slate Run Orvis Store, think I paid 79.00 for it. They were dark OD green and pretty slick but I outgrew it.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

10. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ravenbc View Post
    I will make fun of anyone with fancy nippers, but I guess those with rod vaults on top of their SUV's need to another overpriced useless gadget to show off they are a Huge Flyfisher......

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    I wear a combo of Simms gear I bought or was gifted over the years, and some ten year old LL Bean waders that have been leaking some for years. Probably see me wearing a hoodie more often than not when I fish. But I really need a rod locker for my Jeep, or my next truck. I'll put a $100 rod it in half the time just so I won't bust it while moving to the next stream. The rods would be safe because I'd be the only fool in Iowa with one. Sure the magnetic gizmos Ard let me use in AK worked fine, but I really need a rod locker because I want one. Nothing about this fly game will ever involve my social position (appearance) in this world.

It is interesting but weird that a discussion about nipper, rods, reels, lines, whatever, inevitably brings out social attitudes linked to personal philosophy, finances or both. But why? Most agree that a tippet cutter of some sort is a good idea, we all know anglers that just bite off the tags... My first ones were fingernail clippers but when Tiemco introduced the first, highly influential and widely imitated nipper...Orvis almost immediately had their own knock-off made in Japan to quality standards...I switched to that and still use such nippers happily and often. If you avoid the pot metal cheapos and get a good one like Dr. Slick's, they work fine and last a couple of years in trout fishing applications. Leaving graphics and colors up to the purchaser, do the new generation Abel, Hatch, Orvis, Simms "work" better? They are sharper, last far longer and even can be maintained with blade replacements...an equipment advancement undeniably but equally undeniably a luxury alterative far from a necessity. I'm an early adopter and like their precision when working on my leaders but consider leaders to be infinitely more important than what I trim my knots with.

13. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout fishing universe)

It's all personal preference. One man's necessity is another man's insanity. But debating it is a fun exercise. People must like arguing about it because every time it comes up it goes on for pages.

15. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

I'll never understand why someone would pay an excess amount of money for something to cut fishing line. Seems ridiculous to me at least.
    Danny

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast