Nipper thread .. everyones favorite .. which one? Orvis or Abel

denver1911

Reaction score
Ok. Yes. I know everyone hates these threads. Feel free to remind me of that if you must. I also know many of you feel anything more than $6 is a waste on nippers. Again, feel free to remind me of that if you just can’t help yourself. Yes. I’ve searched. Suggest I do that if you need to. Yes. I’ve read reviews .. mostly from people who sell these things. But I still want fresh opinions of those who have handled and/or used the Abel and/or Orvis nippers.

Backstory: Last week my guide (Totene at The Villages on Christmas Island) was cutting off my leader after releasing my third very nice trigger of the morning and his nipper broke. Sharp coral had done a number on the upper part of the leader and hard use in saltwater had done a number on his nipper. I handed him my Orvis nipper to use and, when finished, told him to keep it. The least I could do as an offer of gratitude for his hard work, keen eye, and solid knowledge of fish behavior that he shared with me that day. So, now I need a new nipper.

I liked the Orvis one I had. I got it with a 20% off coupon when they first came out a couple years back. They worked great! However, now I can’t decide between another Orvis nipper or the touchstone Abel nipper. Comments from those who have used both are appreciated. Especially if you have used them in salt and to cut 80+ pound leaders.

osseous

Reaction score
I have the Abel and the Hatch. I would say the Abel has been good so far- only had it about a month. My Hatch has failed twice and been repaired by Hatch. If you're going to use it on 80 lb, I would think the hinged Orvis design would be beneficial- and if you had no issues with your first one, I would go for another.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

camelbrass

Reaction score
I use the Abel nippers in the salt and they’re OK. The jaws oxidize in the salt so I take them apart after each trip and scrub them. The edge goes quite quickly and lighter leader (under 20lb) becomes problematic. The design makes it difficult to get enough leverage to easily cut heavy leader even when they’re new.

To be honest I mainly use the cutting edge on my Abel pliers to trim heavier leader. I replace the jaws on those every couple of seasons which costs me $20.

Regards,

Trevor

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I received a free solid colored Abel nippers and lanyard not too long ago. I can say they cut any better than some, equally to others, but they look nicer than all. So far no problems with cutting 6x - 20lb mono or fluoro.

Nothing more than glitter as we all know a fingernail clippers can get the job done. I do have a hard time justifying the expense of the hand painted ones but then again I spent $300 on a hand carved turkey that sits under glass. Cost aside, I really enjoy the quality of Abel products. Cost considered, then not all can or want to afford the same products; just as I would never buy a bamboo rod as they have zero appeal to me. Now, if given one I will find a place for it.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
you feel anything more than $6 is a waste on nippers.
$6.00 for a pair of nippers???!!! Thats outrageous! :D

Seriously, I didn't even know that Abel had competitors, so I can't help. Good luck finding something you like.

bonefish41

Reaction score
Abel's ...in red but get a genuine titanium bead chain necklace for 90 bucks ...great conversation package e.g. "Are you a pagan" No... "Is that spiritual...no it's a leader cutter"... "what's the chain....it's titanium...man that's mojo spiritual" ..."no man it doesn't rust in salt water"...however, I still carry any old nail clippers.Abel aand chain.jpg

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I carry one of the very small Swiss Army Knives. It has a small pair of scissors that works great for cutting tippet and leader material, as well as a blade, file, pliers, and toothpick. $20 bucks at Walmart. Can't speak as to how they'd hold up with 80lb though...

Last edited:

zjory

Reaction score
I would not have spent $100 on nippers, but my wife got these for me a couple years ago. I sure do like them. I only fish for trout so not cutting anything above 15lb Maxima, but they sure have stayed sharp.

ryc72

Reaction score
Im sure they’re awesome but I don’t have any experience with Abel nippers. I do have the orvis nippers and they are great. Cuts through 20lb bite wire with no problem which is the reason why I got them....found out at an inopportune time that regular nippers don’t cut through bite wire so well so got these things. Is it worth the dough? Probably not. But then again I don’t have any buyers remorse.

denver1911

Reaction score
Does either brand come in a trout skin paint job so you can add another 200 dollars to the price?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Abel does. It’s only an additional $80 though. No, I’m not buying it. But I won’t knock those that do.

edreilly

Reaction score
A few years ago I started using a pair of hemostats that have scissor blades. I really like having one tool and the ability to use the cutters on more than just leaders. They make it easy to trim hackle on flies if I want to make them sit lower in the water etc. I believe Sr Slick makes them.

But I am a trout guy so that might not be a good option for the salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

denver1911

Reaction score
We're guys. It's what we do. We mock each other in a playful manner. It's a fun sport and I'm pretty sure it's part of the agreement you have to sign with God before you're born. Bro Code.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
You sound like a jerk to me ... :D

srock

Reaction score
I have had an Abel nippers for about 2 years. It works well but the blades are beginning to become less sharp. I like the Abel but it is not perfect. I am unfamiliar with the orvis. I thin the Abel is nice but it is pricey and I wish you could just buy new blades and replace them. SR