Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alignment Dots

1. Default Alignment Dots

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and a relative newcomer to fly fishing.

I've got a silly question about alignment dots. One of my fly rods has them and the others do not. I think the dots are very convenient and was considering putting alignment dots on my other rods.

I'm wondering what might be the best thing to use for this application. Enamel paint would probably be durable and not as likely to rub off but I wonder if it would damage the clear finish or bare graphite. It appears that the dots on other rods are applied under the clear finish.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Kevin

Default Re: Alignment Dots

I use the applicator brush in a small bottle of auto touch up paint.
    I can't see any negative effects.

Acrylic paints will work, too. Let 'em dry good before using, coat over with clear nail polish if you want, but don't worry about rubbing off. If it does, re-apply!!

4. Default Re: Alignment Dots

Use a Metallic Silver or Gold Sharpie....

5. Default Re: Alignment Dots

And you can do the same, and they'll look fine.... But think about this: Before you add the dots, you'll carefully allign your rod sections, of course. And how will you know that the sections are alligned? By looking at the guides, of course. And it's just as quick and easy to allign rod sections that way as by using dots. Which are, therefore, unnecessary.

Oh, I don't know about that. Alignment dots will certainly help with the right line up ... getting the sections set together. Sighting down the rod will give the proper finesse. At my age, I'll take what ever help I can get!!!

7. Default Re: Alignment Dots

Sorry NM ...can't agree with that...Think about this...you do the exacting visual guide line up only once...and apply the dots...then in the future you just quickly line up the dots ...and go fishing