Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Maxima Ultragreen vs Rio, etc Tippet

Quote Originally Posted by gray rider View Post
    Thanks for the answers all, but this is the winner that I found:

Soft vs. Hard Monofilament for Leaders | MidCurrent
    So are you going with Harvey's updated recommendation to use the most soft/supple mono for the whole leader? And what material will that be?

I use Mason Soft Mono (doesn't seem to be available nowadays) and Berkley Trilene Big Game for butt+midsection, and a variety of brands for the tippet. In trying to use something that's soft/supple, I have used flat mono and braided mono in years past, but just haven't bothered with it in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by gray rider View Post
    So, without the eyeroll , do you think the Rio is indeed stiffer and will not pile in a slack leader like the Maxima Ultragreen. I value opinions.
    Conditions dictate which is better in any given situation, also the anglers ability.
    For the places I fish, where often as not, the wind changes it's mind from one minute to the next, I value something that can cope with all the variations I expect to meet in a day. Maxima is a good all rounder, I have no doubts that there are mono's that are better, much better, at different times and many I have tried have performed superbly in certain circumstances. I have a spool of Rio beside me now that has not been used for three years because the place I used to fish, where it was, at times, better than Maxima, I no longer fish.
    I can't say I've noticed one being stiffer ( for a given diameter ) than the other and I rarely have my leader pile up on me. This may be because I rarely cast unless I am targeting a fish and pay particular attention to each cast, it may be the only chance I get. I can spend a whole day fishing and may only cast a dozen times, I go fishing, not casting, did that years ago in casting competitions.
    Another factor may be that a size 12 is the largest hook size I use 90% of the time and only a few of my flies are weighted.

Perhaps this is why so many choose something different, they find what suits their own particular circumstances.
    Last edited by bumble54; 05-15-2019 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
    Of course Dickens no insult intended...it was Mrs. who kept to poor house for boys and Oliver but it was his responsibility as Beadle...thus Dickens' respondeat superior husband to wife's conduct...and Bumble's assss retort...chancery/equity courts could trump law courts...but until merged hard row to hoe
    I help those who are on their uppers (so to speak) occasionally, and I sometimes get the impression that, for all the talk of our advanced society, Dickens would have easily been able to draw a parallel between his time and now, especially about the law being an ass.
    Life can be very hard for some and the last thing they need when they are down is a good kicking from those in charge.

If you can cast and mend line, it pretty much doesn't matter what tippet you use. Virtually any material will be work well enough in competent hands, and it's all just gonna pile up in the hands of googans. If you're having trouble getting good drifts, instead of worrying about your tippet material, perhaps your time and money would be better spent on some casting lessons. In truth, most gear questions I see on forums could be best answered with casting lessons and practice. Most of the problems people have are really problems with their technique, not with their gear. Fly not turning over? It's because you suck at casting. Leader piling up on the water? It's because you suck at casting. Rod not carrying as much line in the air as you'd like? It's because you suck at casting. Wind knots developing? You guessed it, boy-o; you suck at casting.

Fix your cast and don't agonize over the gear. It's far and away the easiest, cheapest and most effective solution.

5. Likes bumble54, MichaelCPA liked this post

I find Rio tippet to be supple enough for dries. Tied onto a thread furled leader you have a perfect dry fly leader.

However, if you want really supple in a built mono leader. Get this.

https://www.rioproducts.com/products...x-trout-leader

Looking up at the storage shelves above my desk, there is a large, translucent plastic box stuffed with numerous "brands" and types of leader material. I also own a paper micrometer and used to mic all my tippet spools and re-label them by actual diameter. We could tell Nylon stories and express opinions about which is best for another ten pages. There is though a primary reason leaders and tippet collapse into coils and it is usually not its relative stiffness to suppleness...it is the failure to uniformly transfer energy from the cast line into the leader butt and on down with no hinging. Bend your line to leader assembly and each subsequent section into a parabola to check for symmetry or abrupt hinging...this is the fundamental key to leader design and material compatibility.

8. Likes bumble54 liked this post

Suppleness isn't affected by casting. As long as you can cast. Suppleness does affect a drag free drift. Supple is good for dries.

10. Default Re: Maxima Ultragreen vs Rio, etc Tippet

Quote Originally Posted by bumble54 View Post
    Conditions dictate which is better in any given situation, also the anglers ability.
    For the places I fish, where often as not, the wind changes it's mind from one minute to the next, I value something that can cope with all the variations I expect to meet in a day. Maxima is a good all rounder, I have no doubts that there are mono's that are better, much better, at different times and many I have tried have performed superbly in certain circumstances. I have a spool of Rio beside me now that has not been used for three years because the place I used to fish, where it was, at times, better than Maxima, I no longer fish.
    I can't say I've noticed one being stiffer ( for a given diameter ) than the other and I rarely have my leader pile up on me. This may be because I rarely cast unless I am targeting a fish and pay particular attention to each cast, it may be the only chance I get. I can spend a whole day fishing and may only cast a dozen times, I go fishing, not casting, did that years ago in casting competitions.
    Another factor may be that a size 12 is the largest hook size I use 90% of the time and only a few of my flies are weighted.

Perhaps this is why so many choose something different, they find what suits their own particular circumstances.
    Some attitudes never change.

11. Default Re: Maxima Ultragreen vs Rio, etc Tippet

Quote Originally Posted by dylar View Post
    If you can cast and mend line, it pretty much doesn't matter what tippet you use. Virtually any material will be work well enough in competent hands, and it's all just gonna pile up in the hands of googans. If you're having trouble getting good drifts, instead of worrying about your tippet material, perhaps your time and money would be better spent on some casting lessons. In truth, most gear questions I see on forums could be best answered with casting lessons and practice. Most of the problems people have are really problems with their technique, not with their gear. Fly not turning over? It's because you suck at casting. Leader piling up on the water? It's because you suck at casting. Rod not carrying as much line in the air as you'd like? It's because you suck at casting. Wind knots developing? You guessed it, boy-o; you suck at casting.

Fix your cast and don't agonize over the gear. It's far and away the easiest, cheapest and most effective solution.
    Attitudes, smh.

12. Default Re: Maxima Ultragreen vs Rio, etc Tippet

Quote Originally Posted by old timer View Post
    I find Rio tippet to be supple enough for dries. Tied onto a thread furled leader you have a perfect dry fly leader.

However, if you want really supple in a built mono leader. Get this.

https://www.rioproducts.com/products...x-trout-leader
    Thanks for cool info!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast