Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Maxima Ultragreen vs Rio, etc Tippet

Is Maxima Ultragreen yesterdays news?

What product compares for flexible soft slack leaders? (I know Rio 5x is now 5lb test, but is it stiffer, etc.?)

And does it really matter?

2. Default Re: Maxima Ultragreen vs Rio, etc Tippet

All I use for swinging flies in maxima.
    Chameleon and ultra green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes jr spey liked this post
  4. Default Re: Maxima Ultragreen vs Rio, etc Tippet

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyhunter007 View Post
    All I use for swinging flies in maxima.
    Chameleon and ultra green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But what about typical leaders built up for 10 -20" sized trout?

Default Re: Maxima Ultragreen vs Rio, etc Tippet

I use seagur 5X for a lot for trout and panfish. I also use maxima ultra green or clear when I can find it. I have not used rio. My focus is on quality flourocarbon tippet material connected to a furled leader. It works well, but different persons probably have their own personal preferences. SR

Quote Originally Posted by gray rider View Post
    Is Maxima Ultragreen yesterdays news?

What product compares for flexible soft slack leaders? (I know Rio 5x is now 5lb test, but is it stiffer, etc.?)

And does it really matter?
    Without getting into leader design which has been discussed at length elsewhere and also not to compare Fluro vs. Nylon, the answer is yes, Maxima is yesterdays mono. Today's advanced copolymer formulations are truer in diameter consistency, take better knots, are stronger and more adjustable to moderately stiff to exceptionally supple. For subsurface techniques, Fluro has advantages and for floating dead drift flies I like RIO regular and soft) and Trouthunters.

7. Likes omas liked this post

Maxima is thick, stiff, and abrasion resistant -- the exact opposite of supple and thin with high breaking strength. I use it in 8 lb test and up for sea-run Atlantic salmon that typically run 5 to 20+ pounds. I would not use it for trout fishing.

9. Likes rsagebrush, jr spey liked this post

I only use Rio.

Quote Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
    Maxima is thick, stiff, and abrasion resistant -- the exact opposite of supple and thin with high breaking strength. I use it in 8 lb test and up for sea-run Atlantic salmon that typically run 5 to 20+ pounds. I would not use it for trout fishing.
    Back when I regularly fished for salmon I had already switched from Maxima to Orvis Super Strong to the dismay of Canadian salmon folk. Moucheur, Have you experimented using RIO Fluroflex? Where I swinging salmon (or steelhead) flies today I would be using Fluorocarbon and surely no Turle Bends.

All the Maxima mono lines (clear, ultragreen, & chameleon) are stiffer, thicker, and more abrasion resistant than pretty much all the mono tippet material out there. Maxima is great for the stiff butt sections of hand tied leaders or as tippet where you want a stiff, strong mono, and don't care about diameter. I use ultragreen swinging for steelhead, but I'd never use it for trout, it's just too stiff.
    There are lots of good mono tippet materials out there, I've tried a few and they're all fine. I use Rio right now, but it's because my local shops carry it and I like the way the spools snap together, not because it's thinner or more supple.

13. Likes smilingduck liked this post

15. Likes Lonnie Utah liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast