Does anyone know how much this is worth?

Jonas Askelund

Reaction score
Hi.
I inherited this fly reel from a deceased relative, and I'm now on a mission to find out how much it's worth.
It's a:

S.E.BOGDAN NASHUA.N.H NO. 0
(Pictures further down)

I found a similar one on ebay, worth US $3,000. But this one is gold and black, whereas mine is silver and more dark brown-ish than black, atleast from a certain angle. And yet I've found nothing of such a reel on the internet.

Vintage S.E. Bogdan Nashua N.H. Model 0 Right Hand Retrieve Fly Fishing Reel | eBay

Thanks alot in advance.

Attachments

old timer

Reaction score
It's definitely worth some money. They aren't made anymore and were all hand made. Worth is between $1500 - $5000 depending on what model and size it is. You'll have to figure that out.

Selling it on consignment at a classic gear web store is an option. They'll get you top dollar for it.

edreilly

Reaction score
I don’t have a number for you but I suggest you reach out to Robert Selb at The Classic Fly Fisherman. He is in PA but has a national footprint.

He can probably give you and idea of value and if you want to sell it, I believe you can consign it with him.

I have bought reels from him and been very happy with my interactions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kevind62

Reaction score
You may never find out. It's kind of like the Dallas Fort. No one knows how much it's worth. You always see references to the Dallas Fort Worth but you never see a dollar amount with it. It's the ultimate unsolved mystery. :D

flytie09

Reaction score
I think $2k-$3k is the going price for a Bogdan O right now for the condition in the pics. Highly collectible right now. As others have stated...they don't make them any more.

Vintage Fly Tackle has one listed now for sale. Color difference doesn't effect value as far as I know. VFT is a consigner of higher end and vintage reels. Gary's wife is running the business currently and might be able to give you a very good estimate window on these.

Bogdan Model 0 Fly Reel - RHW - Vintage Fly Tackle

I wish I had a relative with a few of these stashed away. You're one lucky fellow.

Last edited:

kevind62

Reaction score
Seriously though, you can probably go online and find a site for collectors and find someone willing to pay a good price for it if it has value. You'll have to find a specialized appraiser who deals in antique fishing equipment. I have an old takedown recurve Fred Bear bow that was manufactured in 1952 at the original plant. It has matching limbs with matching serial numbers. The serial numbers back then were hand painted on the equipment along with the QA's hand painted signature also. Kind of cool. It still shoots good. I actually bought it at a yard sale back in the late 70's when I was a teenager. Paid $15 for it. It was in it's original wooden case.