Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  150
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: What is your cheapest and your most expensive

My least expensive rod is a Gander Mountain 9 foot 5wt purchased many years ago. Gander mountain is no longer in business. They had made for them some great spinning rods I also own. My most expensive is a 7 foot Payne 100 bamboo rod made by Mike Baker, which was a custom rod costing me about $800. It was a splurge.
    Best, SR

2. Likes jangles liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by drr324 View Post
    I know my wife doesn't visit this site so I'm safe... Cheapest, my first rig over 30 years ago was a Browning, Silaflex I believe, with no idea what I paid. Most expensive, pick one I guess, I have a decent number of Sage rod and reel combos. Salt HD w/Max reel, Motive w/ 8080 Pro, Z Axis Spey w/Greys reel. It's not hard to spend a few bucks when you find stuff you like, but I also like to buy used as well. I'm fortunate to live near Traverse City, MI with just about every type of fishing (outside of salt) within an hour drive of me. Trout on the Ausable, smallies on the bays, pike/musky in torch lake chain, carp on the bays, steelhead on Big M or betsie, etc. Also love to travel to fish the salt as well. A guy should be prepared as much as possible, to have success on any given destination/trip.Attachment 16726
    Drr324, I had a question. Do you literally have all layout fly rods strung up at the same time as in the pic above, or is this picture just for show? I always keep my rods tubed unless I am using them. Just curious. Thanks, SR

4. Likes flytie09, hairwing530 liked this post
  5. Default Re: What is your cheapest and your most expensive

I store them this way in my "man cave" above my garage. I'm an "on the fly" type person and usually have a couple in my truck rack at all times as well. I truly will decide on my drive home from work that the weather looks right to hook up my boat and hit GT Bays, or a local lake, or even a walk in trout trip (with permission from the boss, of course). I despise tubing them, putting everything together etc, every time I want to fish. Patience is not a strong point for me, so I built these shelve brackets to hold them, ready to grab and go. Most are stored in 2 pieces so they slide into my truck rack I built "inside my shell" quick and easy. I posted a pic of it in the fishing vehicle section not too long ago. I do have a 7wt always strung and ready to throw off my dock every night when I get home if time allows. Once we get ice up here, I will break them all down, clean everything- reels, lines, etc and then tube them, box my reels, etc.

I don't remember and it is unfair for me to include a Phillipson glass rod I built myself in the 70's or rods I got for $Free.99. My first rod was a Sewell Dunton 8', 3-pc., HDH cane with a Medalist and it cost $80 which was not cheap in 1962...but its retired. Sticking to current use rods, I think the Sage Igniter #5 and Sage SALT #9 have the highest price tags. I fish the SALT for bonefish and permit but when I fish a rough and tumble jetty in New Jersey I use an inexpensive Redington 9-weight...which works very well. Trout wise, I have to think; I have an 8'3"/#5 Mystic that resides in the storage bin of our SUV and my antiquated Orvis 8'/#4 from 1984 (under $200 then but that was high-end at that time), also my Albright EXS was around $200 on sale (they were permanently on sale) but they're long discontinued. Perhaps the least costly current issue trout rod I have is Douglas's 8'8"/#4 Upstream at around $350...not cheap but a bargain.

7. Likes jangles, hairwing530 liked this post

Most expensive........ Was a bamboo rod with a Powell taper built for me. $550

Cheapest......Free. A friend gave me a rod.

9. Likes jangles, smilingduck, hairwing530 liked this post

All my rods I either built myself or bought used and refitted with new components, except for one and that's my most expensive. It's the first 2 hander I ever bought, a lightly used Sage brownie 12'6" 6 weight that I got for $250 in 2000.
    My least exensive is actually my favorite. I bought an MHX blank and all the components for a 9 foot 4 weight on sale at the Angler's Workshop tent sale. Probably cost me less than $70 total and a couple hours work.

11. Likes jangles, hairwing530 liked this post

Like many I bought a cheap cabelas three forks. I don't remember what it cost. Most expensive was a discontinued sage one for $500.
    steve

13. Likes mka, jangles, hairwing530 liked this post
  14. Default Re: What is your cheapest and your most expensive

Not including several I got for free, the cheapest rod is a "Conquest" (I don't know who makes it) 8 foot 5 wt that I bought for $5 at a yard sale. I didn't actually want the rod, which had a broken tip section (it is a 2-piece) but it came with an OK reel and a really nice reel-on case that I could use with a different two piece rod. But I fixed the rod and I am surprised at how well it casts in the back yard. I haven't taken it fishing yet so the repair hasn't been tested against a load.

Most expensive is an LL Bean Pocket Water 6'10" 4-wt that was an impulse purchase (unusual for me). It is the only rod I have paid full retail for; it was $200. I like it a lot for the small streams near my house.

15. Likes jangles, hairwing530 liked this post

edited classified content.
    Last edited by unknownflyman; 05-17-2019 at 01:47 PM.

17. Likes mka, jangles, ia_trouter, hairwing530 liked this post

My most expensive is still pretty cheap.
    My least expensive is a $23 "Tenkara" rod that is 18' long, recommended to me another thread on this forum.

Goture Carp Rod.jpg

Without a doubt, my "best value" rod (initial cost divided by # of uses) is my 3 wt. 7'-6" Redington Classic Trout, bought for $75 new.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

19. Likes jangles, ia_trouter, hairwing530 liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast