Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  48
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Delicate Subject

Quote Originally Posted by cerec_cat View Post
    Depends!!!!
    On what????
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

2. Likes jangles, el jefe liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    I have zipper front waders, but I wouldn't unzip them mid stream for environmental and safety reasons. Dave Hughes book, An Anglers Astoria, includes a Chapter titled, "Learn to Pee Before You Put Your Waders On."
    What's the environmental reason? Is it not OK to pee in a river/stream?

It is well understood in the river running community- you pee IN the river, not on the bank. Take a multi-day river trip with an outfitter and it will be part of the lecture before you launch.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. Likes lightline, k_e_v liked this post

Maybe a gatorade bottle with a wide mouth? It's worked in the car in case of emergency. If you have an air tight seal, you'll want to cut a carburetor in the side near the top, away from the internal stream to avoid a mess. Don't ask how I know...

Blog Entries

This is just one of those things I've figured out on my own...….. By the way, that being in the same boat thing? Everyone in my boat better be able to figure out how to clear the gunwales.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

When flats fishing here in the northeast salt, you're often 3/4 mile off shore when the urge hits.
    This is a cold water environment and having to deal with waders, a wader belt, your vest, your stripping basket, and your rod can be a challenge.
    The rod, the belt, the vest all goes into the stripping basket. You drop wader "trow" and put the basket back on facing backwards
    Do your thing....

But then the real challenge is to get your act together ASAP
    You see, the smell of the urine in the water attracts the gamefish like a moth to a flame and you need to be ready to make your cast as soon as they come into sight.
    You only get one shot as they're going to be a rod length away in seconds.
    Fact.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

10. Likes Ard, City Rat, k_e_v liked this post
    Blog Entries

I'm in the zip front wader camp, and extremely happy I went that route. especially in the shoulder seasons of fly fishing. I got tired of freezing half to death every time I needed to go. I'm on my second pair of Orvis zip front waders, they recently started leaking below the right knee area, I patched them, but haven't been out to see if I have all the holes fixed. In the meantime, I know from past experience that once the waders start leaking it is an ever ending process of chasing new leaks, so I just purchased a set of new Simms G4 zip front waders that I picked up at a great discount on eBay.
    Larry

12. Likes hairwing530, tx_newb liked this post

Being real close to 67 I know what the original poster is going through. I just had prostate laser surgery to improve the flow. An ultrasound of my bladder showed that I had the equivalent of 3/4 of a wine bottle left after I urinated. Not good. Was on meds for a year with no improvement. Had the surgery and I now pee like a 20 year old.

Going to the river and feel like you need to pee every 15 minutes is no fun.

14. Thanks Rip Tide thanked for this post
    Likes hairwing530 liked this post

I forgot to mention this but the problem isn't a problem if you use hippers.

16. Likes el jefe liked this post
    Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wyoming at different times of the year .

I'm 70 and have had a bad prostate since the age of 45 so I am very aware of the problem . I wade to a tree or bush drop my waders and let her fly . I'm too old and too tired to give a chit what anyone sees or thinks .
    Ron Zimmerman

Driving a 52 Chevy in a Cadillac lane on my way to a river near you .

Don't forget your duct tape , Red Green

Thread Killer

18. Likes flyminded, City Rat liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast