Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  43
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Tippet rings and looped leaders: Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by old timer View Post
    I just fish dry flies but i've never done it from a spin rod.

What does that have to do with my post?
    It reminded me of some of the other nuggets of wisdom that you've chosen to share with the fly fishing community over the past dozen or so years.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I joined the forum in 2015.

You can always put me on ignore if I bother you so much

3. Likes jangles liked this post

You sure ?

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Age has little to do with being a fish hero. Most every male who thinks he can fish, qualifies......
    The old ones mostly have found a way to do it, and quit searching for a new way.
    Young ones are searching in a sea of info for a better way. And sound lost......
    My crack about going back to the beginning of time was a nod to a time before tapered leaders.
    As S&S alluded, when you learn to tie your own leaders you learn what works and doesn't.....
    When you settle on one technique and don't experiment, you stop learning, but can go fish.
    If you constantly change ways you fish, you can't test thoroughly, so you stop learning. Random testing isn't really testing.....
    My job requires me to continue structured testing for better ways, and keeping tabs on this forum and constantly de-briefing fishers helps me to stay current with "progress". (Dinky Swivels for instance....)
    There was a time that I fished a dry on a spin/bobber setup....worked killer! There was a time I only fished a dry as a dry.......
    I let the fish tell me how I should do it, and let the fish heroes rant.
    The only thing that is unchanging....is the fish are in the water, and you can't catch them sitting on the couch.
    I don't think we have found out all the ways to do this thing we do. Keep after it.........
    Loops, rings, try them all........and report back.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    You sure ?

Are you?

Blog Entries

Hmm. I'm hoping that my first post didn't start something I didn't intend.

The point I was trying to make concerned only the leader to tippet connection, and was not meant to have any bearing on leader building. While I have built dozens of leaders from scratch in the past, I never once tried building one using tippet rings. I typically used blood knots, or double unis, or Seaguar knots, sometimes a combination of the three in the same leader.

But for tying the last section of leader to the terminal piece of tippet, I don't see any reason to tie a knot there when tippet rings are available. Especially when there are so many people out there that can tie a perfectly acceptable terminal knot but have problems tying a blood knot, or other connection knot, particularly on the water. YMMV.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

8. Likes jangles, el jefe liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456