Fine for destroying protected trout habitat in Alberta, Canada

silver creek

Reaction score
Close to $100K in fines sought in Fisheries Act case

"In his decision given Dec. 17, 2018, Judge Jerry LeGrandeur said the club and David Allen French contravened the acts by allowing motocross bikes to race through streams containing sensitive fish habitat, killing a number of bull trout, as well as west slope cutthroat trout, which are designated a threatened species......

During a sentencing hearing Tuesday in Lethbridge provincial court, the Crown recommended fining the club a total of $70,000 – $35,000 under each act – and fining French $20,000 under each act. Defence for French suggested a range of $5,000 to $10,000 for each count, while defence for the club recommended the minimum fine under the Fisheries Act of $25,000 and $5,000 under SARA."

perryk

Reaction score
I like it...Montana needs to shitcan all the idiots in side by side clubs that tear up the backcountry....

JDR

Reaction score
If people and their courts don't actually enforce the laws and impose fines large enough to get someone's attention, this type of behavior will never stop. As we know from our collective observation of the past, and the attitude of some in the present, there are people who are totally oblivious to the destruction they cause. A few simply enjoy destroying things. In many ways, court decisions are a reflection of their times. It will be interesting to see how seriously this offense is taken; and that will be reflected in the severity of the fines.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Most off-roading clubs have FAR more awareness these days. "Tread lightly" and stick to the established trails is their goal for self-preservation. The stupid ones need fines just like this or they will wreck everything. Hopefully they won't get off too lightly after the appeals.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The level of destruction here in the Lower MatSu Valley is beyond belief. Salmon and trout habitat (streams) used as throughways and places to go "Mudding".

There is no support within the general public to put an end to it because it is the general public doing the damage or their children.

The damage is ugly to the eye and it is everywhere!

ia_trouter

Reaction score
The level of destruction here in the Lower MatSu Valley is beyond belief. Salmon and trout habitat (streams) used as throughways and places to go "Mudding".

There is no support within the general public to put an end to it because it is the general public doing the damage or their children.

It's beyond description. You have nearly unlimited land where they could play at the highest level of off-roading. Heck, practically all your in town ditches are "approved" four wheeler paths. Instead it's just the wild west for anything outdoors. Same mentality that does damage to your salmon fishery.

0bie

Reaction score
That's the crazy part to me; the damage is visible. You can't plead ignorance as you tear through the ruts and rills, it'd only take a couple seconds of thought for an ORV rider to realize the impact they're having.

Or, hopefully, $70,000.

dennyk

Reaction score
There is a beautiful local river here that has up to 3 major manure spills off farmlands each year. The fines are no where near severe enough to make them change their practices of irresponsibility.

I wish law enforcement would throw them in jail for a few years, maybe that will get their attention.

Denny

silver creek

Reaction score
There is a beautiful local river here that has up to 3 major manure spills off farmlands each year. The fines are no where near severe enough to make them change their practices of irresponsibility.

I wish law enforcement would throw them in jail for a few years, maybe that will get their attention.

Denny
That used to be a problem in Wisconsin when the farmers spread manure on their fields in the winter. The spring snowmelt would flush the manure into the streams. With the amount of snow and rains we have had, the risk is severe in Wisconsin this spring.

Runoff Risk Advisory Forecast

Now our problem is CAFOs = Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations = Over 1000 animals being fed = lots of animal waste and potential spills = pollution of underground aquifers that provide drinking water.

CAFOs — Wisconsin Environmental Health Network

ia_trouter

Reaction score
That used to be a problem in Wisconsin when the farmers spread manure on their fields in the winter. The spring snowmelt would flush the manure into the streams. With the amount of snow and rains we have had, the risk is severe in Wisconsin this spring.

Runoff Risk Advisory Forecast

Now our problem is CAFOs = Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations = Over 1000 animals being fed = lots of animal waste and potential spills = pollution of underground aquifers that provide drinking water.

CAFOs — Wisconsin Environmental Health Network
One of my first jobs in JR HS was working for what at the time was a serious hog farming operation. The manure trough in just one the confinement was 6ft wide, 100yds long and I waded to my knees in liquified hog manure when we cleaned it out every few months. I was pretty thrilled to land a job at Hardee's after this gig lol. They just dumped it on the fields back then. A typical family farm was/is not a big problem. 50 hogs and cattle, and 200 acres of corn and beans to dump the waste probably works. But a true commercial operation is an EPA nightmare. I cringe that some exist too near the best IA Driftless streams. Most of us desire affordable meat, and farmers that don't need monthly subsistence checks so here we are.